Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elux all-freezer with SZ all-refrigerator

Posted by piu007 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 11:45

Hi,

In my new build, I am splurging on a SZ 36" all-ref (and most of the other appliances). Would like to save on the freezer, since I dont use it all that much.
Hence, I'm thinking of the Elux ICON/IQ touch 32" all-freezer, which is considerably less expensive than SZ/Thermador columns.
However, is the Elux not a true built-in?.... its depth, without door, is 24 1/4" ... I'll get the trim kit. And, I can have the cabinets on that wall bumped up as necessary.
Q is, will it look as "built-in" as the SZ? I recognize that the door will stick out (which it will in the SZ, too, if I go the BI route, not integrated). I've read how one needs an inch or so around a free-standing unit for venting which gives away the not truly BI. Of course, its a whole different matter whether it bothers someone or not!
Thank you in advance,
piu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elux all-freezer with SZ all-refrigerator

is the Elux not a true built-in?.............

No.

will it look as "built-in" as the SZ?...............

No.

its a whole different matter whether it bothers someone or not! ..................

It only matters whether it bother you, in your kitchen. The electrolux is about half the price too !

o

Well, i think my Q is, specifically, how what gives away the fact that its not a true built-in? The inch around all sides? Even with trim kit?
Will an untrained eye (not a builder and NOT a GW'er!!) be able to figure it out?

o

The built in is attached to cabinetry and is roughly 24-25" deep including the door. Sometimes they are flush with the surrounding cabinetry.

That elux, is a free standing unit with pretty flimsy trim kit around it. It does look stylish though. It is quite a bit deeper than 25" with the door.

Can the untrained eye tell ??? Prob. not, but it's kinda irrelevant since the untrained won't be able to tell about most of the details that are discussed around here. What most people can tell is a difference in quality, fit & finish, and general design when comparing two items like these. It becomes a lot harder to do when they are not right next to each other, but still pretty easy when they are in the same room. Then price enters into the equation and things get real complex.

What's the price diff ? $2000 ? What is it in terms of the overall % of the kitchen, the house , and over the life of the loan?

You'd better read some reviews of that unit before you talk yourself into saving a few bucks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here