Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryhmaryh

Liebherr Refrigerator Feedback

maryhmaryh
16 years ago

We are just about to place our order for the 24" freestanding Liebherr. I ould love to go bigger but based on size limitations we are going with the 24". Does anybody have one of these? If so I would live some feedback.

Also I have not seen this in person (nobody has this size as a floor model on the the 30") so any pictures would be appreciated also.

Thanks,

Mary

Comments (20)

• baver
    16 years ago

Do a search for Liebherr on this forum. I have a couple of posts. I have two of the 24" freestanding models and there are a few things to be aware of. The 24" freestanding only has one compressor unlike all their other models. It has two evaporators, but only one compressor. I was told by Liebherr this is because when they added an ice maker, there was no room for an additional compressor in the 24" size. What I have found with this is that the temps do fluctuate quite a bit. Even though my food seems to be pretty much what I set the refrigerator temp at (by using a probe thermometer), except on the top shelf, the compartment ranges from 34-48. It is set as low as it will go (36). I called Liebherr, they said it is normal with the defrost cycle. I also have some smell issues which I think are related to the temp variations. Both refrigerators have this issue, so I don't think it is an isolated instance. There is no meat compartment, I use the "berry tray" made for the freezer and put this on the lower shelf. The "wine rack" won't hold a 2 liter bottle, and with the temp variations, may not be all that good for the storage of wines. The doors have no doorstop. I have 2 dents in my doors from my other half opening the door too hard and not holding it. The door banged on a log ( I live in a log home) and now it is dented. This is a major irritant. I mean this door will open all the way. Ridiculous. It is a little dark inside. The stainless on the door is very soft and very difficult to clean. It is magnetic and seems to be of lower quality than my Wolf range. Now that I have depressed you, let me tell you the things I do like about it. The rest of it seems to be of very high quality. The handles are great. The freezer drawers work beautifully. It is a great looking unit. It is made by people making decent wages. Items in the 24" are more accessible than in the 30" as it isn't so tall. If you are short, the 30" is very tall. Would I buy it again? Probably not. I would buy a built-in unit, but they are more expensive and they do not have the neat handles. They also aren't configured with just a regular refrigerator with the freezer at the bottom. You can get bio-fersh/freezer or all refrigerator w/bio-fresh, but not freezer/reg refrigerator. Hope this helps. I have to say if I had to go with the 24" free-standing I would take a look at the Fagor. Only one compressor, but better lighting and less expensive. Haven't seen it in person, but the pics look pretty good.

• maryhmaryh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the honest feedback. Unfortunately from what I could see the Fagor does not come with an icemaker and that is a stcking point for us. I don't think we saw any other 24' model that did come with one.

I am concerned about the temp variations and did not really think it would be that bad so we will have to keep an eye on it. I just placed my order a few minutes ago (along with the 24' Bertazzoni SS range) so there really is no backing out now.

Thanks again,
    Mary

• baver
    16 years ago

Well, I wish you the best. Between the Liebherr and the Bertazzoni you will certainly have some of the best looking appliances around.

• tapioca
    16 years ago

I think you should follow baver's suggestion and do a search in this forum. I believe you'll find the overall feedback to be very positive, although there aren't a lot of us out there yet. Other than the high price tag I have no issues of note with mine which was purchased at the end of July. (It's the latest generation and is slightly different than the model I saw in the showroom in both style and substance. Other showrooms may also have the previous generations still on the sales floor)
    Enjoy your Fridge, hope you don't have to wait as long as we did for that boat from Germany, and do let us know how things go when yours is up and running.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

Baver - is the 1 compressor exclusive to the 24" or do you know if that is the same situation in the 30"?

• alexrander
    16 years ago

30" has 2 compressors.

• joycenyc
    16 years ago

Hi Mary--I have had both the 30" Liebherr and the 30" Bertazzoni for almost a year now and I really love these appliances. Didn't know Bertazzoni made a 24" range--is this new? Anyhow, sounds like a great combo and I hope you like your appliances as much as I do. All the best, Joyce

• ctkathy
    16 years ago

I have a 48" Leibherr which consists of two 24" units joined together. One is the all fridge and the other is the Biofresh which is fridge on top and freezer on bottom.

Mine has cabinet panels and the door of the all fridge unit has been squeeky ever since it was installed. After lots of troubleshooting on the phone and having a repairman coming out twice, they decided to replace the door. I have been waiting since mid December for this door to arrive and now I learn it is coming from Australia.

In general I like it very much, but there is alot of condensation on the inside back panel of the fridge which freezes and then melts, dripping down into a drain in the back. If a food item is pushed all the way back in the fridge, water often collects on it during the melt cycle. I agree with above poster that it is a little dark inside. I will have to check the temp with a probe. The biofresh side really keeps things fresh longer.

Biggest complaint is you really have to be aware of closing the door to the fridge. It doesn't just close automatically. Many times I can see the fridge door has been left ajar and I think this is one thing they could definitely work on.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Ctkathy. I have the 30 inch built in. No problems with it and the temp is consistent throughout. The door alarm sounds after a few minutes if the door is left ajar. Does the 24 inch have a door alarm?

• baver
    16 years ago

The 24" freestanding does have an alarm. The condensation on the back is a little disconcerting at first. This is completely normal, but most salespeople will not tell you about this. This occurs on all frost-free refigerators as far as I know, although it is kept "behind-the-scenes" in American brands. You do have to be careful of not shoving anything all the way back that would touch it, but really not a big issue at all. Personally, I think this method increases the overall humidity inside the refrigerator compartment which is a very good thing. Again, the 48" built-in is an entirely different beast. As far as parts availability, I needed a new door, after mine was dented due to lack of a doorstop(not a warranty issue) unfortunately, but ADCO Service which handles Liebherr Customer Service in the US was very helpful and the new door arrived in less than 2 weeks, perhaps a week - it was a while ago. I really would love to hear about other people's temperature observations inside their refrigerators, esp the 24" freestanding. Using a separate thermometer, what is the range you have experienced. Does yours jump 10-12 degrees when that frost is being defrosted on the back of the refrigerator. You can't go by the temp displayed on the unit, as that is an average temp in the 24" freestanding. Let me know, please. Anyone else with a different refrigerator (Energy Star) let me know what you find. My old Amana did not seem to have the fluctuation issues, although it was not Energy Star. (I always keep another refrigerator thermometer in the fridge)

• sienne_c
    16 years ago

I love my 30". I had a "kitchen warming" party a few weeks ago and people were particularly curious about the Liebherr. It was almost comical how many people were opening the 'frig and freezer to look at the interior design. One of my guests is remodeling her kitchen and decided to cancel her order for a SubZero and order a Liebherr. I haven't had any problems with temperature or condensation. I haven't had any issues with the door not closing either. I did, however, assume that the refrigerator wasn't quite level since the door does swing open. Based on everyone's comments, I guess this is a design issue and not my uneven floor (lol).

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

I would rather have the condensation drops on the back than what happened with my previous unit. In it the condensation dripped into a pan in a concealed space in the back of the freezer. The pan was always getting frozen and the condensation would then run down from the freezer all over every item in the refrigerator and end up on the bottom, then gush out when you opened the door. After taking the entire freezer insides apart I learned to just shut the unit off for several hours to fix this problem. Every once in a while the water would carry a little particle down the inside drain pipe and clog it. Again water overflow -we are talking about a mess. So at least with the condensation on the back I can see it and know what is going on.

I don't have the 24 but have not found any temp variation between the 2 thermometers I keep in the unit but I will try to pay closer attention - not sure I can catch it during the defrost.

The 30's inch does have a door stop you can set. It is not obvious but my installer set it and I think there are instructions in the manual to do so.

• calvanist21
    16 years ago

jerrod6, I am trying to find the door stop on the 30 in. but can not find it. I looked in the manual as well. I am tired of the door swinging all the way around hitting the cabinets.

• Circus Peanut
    16 years ago

calvanist21 -- just saw this thread. Here's the page from the manual, in case you're still looking for the Liebherr doorstop info:

• mrs_doolittle
    16 years ago

We are building a new house and are fascinated by the Liebherr refrigerator, however, one of the major high-end appliance stores near us says they "wouldn't stock Liebherr if it were the last company in existence" because their reliability is horrible, part acquisition is nearly impossible and they are a terrible product in general. Aaarrrggghhh!!!! The model we are interested in won't be out until June '08 and is a french door , 36" bottom mount refrig./freezer. Has anyone heard anything about this model? Have they corrected all of the problems you all have been citing?

• baver
    16 years ago

circuspeanut:

The doorstop instructions only apply to the BUILT-IN models. THE 24" and 30" FREESTANDING models DO NOT have a doorstop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liebherr FREESTANDING installation

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    16 years ago

Mrs Doolittle

I have been selling the Liebherr refrigeration for 4 years now in the US. Prior to it been available in the US i shipped units in from Canada.

In the 4 years of selling Liebherr we have had 3 problems, 1 dead compressor on arrival and 2 icemakers, the icemakers worked but not enough ice was been produced. All the probelms were fixed on the first visit.

From the stats that we create Liebherr has the least service calls in comparison to another Refrigerator we sell by a long way.

I would suggest that your salesman is trying to guide you to purchase another brand. The facts he put to you are not the feelings of most people who have purchased a Liebherr nor do they stand up against ours. As the one of the largest dealer on the east coast i would recommend this product every time with no hesitation.

• dianegriffith
    15 years ago

TrevorLawson,

Just like Mrs Doolittle, I am interested in the french door refrigerator due out in June. Do you know anything about that model? Would any of the issue regarding water collecting or dark inside apply to this model? I know you are on the east coast, is the store you work for convient to Maryland?

• ericmr
    15 years ago

We've had the 30" built in for almost a year now, and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. It holds a surprisingly large amount, looks great, works great, cleans up easily. The only problem we've had is that the freezer seal can be a little fickle which means we have to jiggle the drawers, but the alarm lets you know when that's a problem

• robert_laundry
    15 years ago

We have had the liebherr 30" free standing since last August.

Our experience has been the same as ericmr except no problems with the freezer seal and no problems at all.