Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marc_ia

put hot pot from oven on glass top?

marc_ia
14 years ago

I hate reading directions and manuals and I would rather ask my friends here !! I have a smooth top (induction) range for the first time in my life. Is it okay to put a hot casserole or cookie sheet etc. straight from the oven on the glass top? It seems to go against everything I have ever learned but I guess it must be okay. Have any of you had a top crack or break that way? Or have a glass or ceramic casserole crack - setting it on a cold glass top? Am I being paranoid? hahahah And while I am asking - do you put hot things straight from the oven and set them on your granite countertop? The fear factor is there.

Comments (5)

• iceqween13
    14 years ago

Hi Marc ia,

I just asked a very similar question on the Kitchen forum - regarding a roasting pan going from oven to induction cooktop - to make a gravy. I'm really worried about it cracking my induction cooktop. Let's see if someone has some answers.

I asked about butting hot things on top of the granite and nearly all responses were not to do it. Some granites have fissures and weaknesses in the granite and could crack apparently. I've decided not to take any chances and use a hot plate.

• davidro1
    14 years ago

ok on the glass top. It's vitroceramic if you want a term to search on. Read the manual too. It will let you sleep more peacefully.

Vitroceramic btw takes massive heat when it's used on electric cooktops that just make heat under the top and aren't induction. Read up and sleep well.

• lucypwd
    14 years ago

Here is what the tech person at DIVA had to say regarding their induction units on Aug 29, 2009.

Cut and copied from email:

"- By the information from vitroceramic glass specifications published by EuroKera, the supplier of glass used on our DDP-5 cooktops, the material is capable of withstanding a thermal shock of 700°C (or 1290°F). Thus, placing a hot pot on the glass should not lead to the glass breakage. Still, I would only do such a thing - placing a hot utensil on a cold cooktop, as an ultimate measure, and not something to be done often. Moreover, since we started distributing our cooktops in 2002, we have not had any incident of glass breakage due to a thermal shock. We have had a few claims, but those were rather related to an impact causing physical damage.

- From our experience, using a large pot/pan on a small induction element should not lead to the glass damage.

It is my hope that this will answer your questions. If not, please let us know.

Thanks for purchasing our product and enjoying using it.

My regards,

V. Kamikovski
    Manager, Tech. Services
    Diva de Provence"

• iceqween13
    14 years ago

Thank you. I have read my KA induction manual which says very little, that's why I thought I would try here.

The info on the Diva is helpful.
    Cheers,

• marc_ia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice and info I appreciate it. And i will check over on the kitchen forum to see answers to your question, iceqween.