Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hood decision

Posted by pam71 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 11:08

Need a question answered about Height requirements. I am down to two hood choices, 36 in VAH under cabinet, or modern-aire 36 in. The specs for installation for VAH says recommended to be 24-27 in from cooking surface and mine would end up at about 30 in. And MA specs says minimum requirement30 in from cooking surface and mine would end up at 29 in. This is for a 30 in. Wolf range.

Any thoughts if it's better to be closer vs. Further away, and would this void warranties?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hood decision

24" is way to low in IMO even 27" is low. I would normally recommend 30" from the cooking surface. The Vent a Hood under cabinet only has a depth of between 19" - 21" so I can understand why they would say mount the hood so low.

With the Wolf range you have a depth of 25" from the back wall to the front of the grate, as you can see 21" is lacking capture area for such a range.

The ModernAire is 23" deep over 10% increase in capture area, the depth can also be increased if you want to create a even larger capture area.

o

Thanks for the info. Will the baffles with a MA loose cfm?or be less effective?

o

Baffles will not make any noticeable difference at all. I believe that baffle filters will out performer the so called Magic Lung...

In tests we have done the MA pushes more CFM than the vent a hood.

o

Thanks again. I know the MA would be best coverage area. will check with them on concern of only being able to mount 29 in from cooking surface vs the min. Requirement of 30".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here