Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duvel_gw

Dishwasher recommendations

Duvel
10 years ago

I'm in the market for a new dishwasher for my kitchen remodel. I was all about the Bosch dishwasher before I found out it doesn't have a heated dry cycle and that it looks like I can't fit a 9 x 13 dish in there easily. Any recommendations on a reliable quiet dishwasher that can fit a casserole dish and has a dry cycle for under $900?

Comments (21)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I can fit casserole dishes (and a 5-qt pot, a 12-qt pot and other large items) in my new Bosch dishwasher. I can take pictures tonight if it will help. Can't help with the fact that it has a condensation dryer - I actually quite like that, and the dishes are dry for the most part.

• Duvel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love to see some pictures. After checking one out in a store, it's hard for me to see how things will fit. I've heard mixed reviews on the drying (lots of water on top of the glasses, etc.).

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I don't know if the models differ in their drying ability, but if I open the dishwasher as soon as the load is done, the dishes are so hot (and dry) I can't even touch them. Very little water pooling. On the other hand, if I wait to open the dishwasher until the morning, no problem - dry and cool. I'll take pictures tonight. You should, though, try out your specific dishes. Mine happen to fit in the Bosch really well, but on one side the tines are close together and I can imagine that dishes with a deep "rim" might not fit.

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

duvel "... I was all about the Bosch dishwasher before I found out it doesn't have ..."

"The Bosch dishwasher"? Bosch sells several levels of dishwashers. The good Bosches are pretty good; the entry-level Bosches ... maybe.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Here's a picture with a large Pyrex dish on the right side and the middle racked pulled out partway (it doesn't hit the Pyrex). Let me know if you want any others.

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

". . . and that it looks like I can't fit a 9 x 13 dish in there (Bosch) easily.

I put 9 x 13 dishes in our Bosch all the time, and easily. Same way one would do it in any other brand DW: lay it on its side, vertically, against the rear wall or front (door) area of the bottom rack. Or lay it horizontally on the top rack, but you lose room for glassware.

I even put a 6-qt stock pot in there, with lid, on a regular basis. (bottom rack, of course)

• Duvel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Herring: Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was looking at one of the 500 series dishwashers (looking for middle ground between the Ascenta and 800 series). Any suggestions on which way to go would be appreciated!

SJ: Thanks for the picture! Did you take out the silverware holder or is it in the back?

Cavimum: The racks I've seen don't allow you to put it in the front on the bottom because of the tines (see SJ's picture). I'm not sure about the back. Is your bottom drawer the same as SJ's?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I did take out the silverware basket because I prefer to use the third rack for silverware and utensils, but there are other places where a casserole dish would fit, and as I think I mentioned, I have washed a 12-qt soup pot in the DW. I'll check tonight whether I can put it elsewhere on the bottom.

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

@Duvel - my bottom rack is different, rotated by 90 degrees. Tines go from left to right instead of front to back.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

You can only see the front half of the bottom rack in the picture - the front tines do indeed go front to back, but the back tines go left to right. More pix tonight.

• Duvel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Has everyone had a positive experience with drying? And would you recommend one series over another (Ascenta, 300, 500, 800)?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

You could use the aj madison site to sort by features that are important to you. In my case, I wanted a panel-ready machine with a third rack, so I was limited to the 800 series. Within that series, nothing beyond the "plain old" 800 was important to me.

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

Okay, SJ Sharks fan, (Preds fan here), I hope this photo of my Bosch 800+ bottom rack appears and adequately shows the tines, dirty dishes (LOL) and glass 9 x 13-ish casserole dish in rear. BTW, after closer inspection of your photo above, your upper (middle) rack is configured differently from ours, too.

This post was edited by Cavimum on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 22:54

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Interesting - when did you get your's . We bought ours in September, delivered in Decmeber (and just installed it in January). Here's another picture with the Pyrex in the front. That requires tilting it significantly.

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

Our SHE7ER55UC was purchased & installed November 2012.
    It's odd how they have different lower rack configurations, isn't it?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Yes, notice that the handle to pull out the bottom rack is also different.

• tyguy
    10 years ago

Duval:

I can not recall my model, but I have a mid line, made in the usa(not germany) bosch. It has been a wonderful machine and I have never had what I consider to be drying problems. Plastics do not dry too well, and severe concave surface where water can pool will obviously not dry, but that is about it.

As for loading 9x13 dishes. I do it all the time but I admit I will usually turn it flattish face down to get the best wash as mine are usually BAKED on with crud. Here is a link of how unconventionally as well as how full I can load my unit and everything still comes out like they were hand washed (usually).

I have also owned a Miele and my Bosch cleans probably about as well. The Miele was better built tho, there is no question there. Dont get me wrong, the Bosch is better built than any US brands I have seen(was a contractor for yrs...saw a lot of dw installs) but it is a small step below Miele in that regard. I hear the german made bosch's are as well made as Miele, but have my doubts.

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Ty, I got a good laugh at your picture of 'unconventional' dishwasher loading - that's how mine usually looks!

• Duvel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ty, you certainly know how to load a dishwasher! Glad to hear the positive news on the Bosch. That settles that, now I just need to pick which model...

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

Ty - was that a cafeteria tray??? ROFLOL

The only thing I don't like about my Bosch is the flimsy bottom rack regarding the way it rolls out of the tub. It can get "off track" very easily, perhaps because the wheels are small, when rolling it out for loading. I never had this with decades of 'lesser' DWs.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I think they've fixed that too.