Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying appliances on the web

Posted by gailmr (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 10:55

We will be purchasing an Electrolux 30" wall oven. Have found one at AJ Madison that is $600-700 less than the dealer in town (we have purchased all other appliances from the local dealer).

Is it safe to make this buy online? Does anyone know how the extended warranties work this way?

We have bought many, many items for our remodel online, but never one with wires!

Thanks in advance for the input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying appliances on the web

I was just looking at the same thing. It makes me a little concerned ordering online, but I do not know if I can justify the extra cost. also the warranty seem to be cheaper online than in the real stores...

o

Just to make sure: I'm looking at the Electrolux EW30EW55GS Stainless Steel at AJ Madison. I'm assuming that the price is because of the President's Day Sale and am hoping that it's good through Monday. I've tried to call a couple of times but just getting voicemail. We're going to town on Monday to talk to our salesperson to make sure this is the same oven and to see if he can get the price down a bit. $100 or $200 difference is OK, but not what I'm currently seeing!

o

This is what I just found when looking for info:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/aj-madison-appliance-showroom-brooklyn

But I have no personal experience with them.

o

Sears outlet is great for things that aren't big ticket items. We got the Whirlpool Duet W/D, one from Sears outlet and the other from the Whirlpool outlet, you have to check often and not be in a hurry. Sharp micro drawer from Home Depot online along w/the whole house generator, they have deals once in a while and if you use your card you can deepen the discount in some cases. I ordered the water filtration/purification online from the manufacturer. For the big kitchen things I wanted to see the actual items and have local (within 100 miles) support just in case though I did get my DW online (Bosch 800+ series panel ready) from Sears outlet. Most on-line purchases that I've seen will offer white glove delivery and set-up along w/the factory warranties even from the outlets.

o

Many, many, many of us here have bought appliances online. If you search around the forum, you'll mind many posts about experiences from almost any online retailer you can find. Most of the complaints I've read about ajmadison have to do with the independent shipping companies that deliver the goods. Again, look around the forum for some of those issues.

I bought my KA warming drawer, KA BI fridge, and Sharp MW drawer online, ebay to be specific, without any problems. I saved thousands all together.

Many here have had success asking their local stores to match prices seen online. I didn't get so lucky, but it's worth a try.

o

Always,Always use your credit card when shopping on line.
You are not required to pay return shipping on a faulty item.
your card company will help you with this and other problems if something goes wrong.

o

I priced appliances from AJ Madison too. I was nervous about not buying locally & I was able to work a deal w/ Sears. They came very close to the price AJM gave me. Plus I was able to take advantage of a sale Sears was having (20% off) so in the end I got a better price from Sears. See if a local appliance store will price match.

o

I ordered a gas range and hood from aj Madison. The price on the range was several 100 less than lowes and sears the range hood not as spactular a deal but still a fair price. They were quick with delivery with me to Pennsylvania they were able to being it faster than I was ready for. I had no problem with the items. And they showed up with on the time window given. Only thing you need to know is they do not hook up things as part of the standard delivery. I guess you need to pay extra for an installer if you want. I just took care of the work myself

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here