Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littleome

viking - all owners please

littleome
18 years ago

I thought I'd start a thread about Viking appliance's for all of us owners to report about our FIRST HAND experiences with these products. Good or Bad.

This came about because in another thread (Viking, Wolf, & others) I responded about the now seemingly infamous thought process that declares Vikings as known for being issue prone and having poor customer service. This does not appear to be a FACT as far as I can see (Ive done a pretty extensive internet search for product reviews and have been an owner of Viking products for 13 years). Sites such as Epinions.com and others contain reviews from 0 to 6 owners, and all seemed bad. My theory is those who are satisfied just didnÂt go to the site and review. Therefore the review is inaccurate.

This won't be entirely accurate either, but if there were one thread on this forum that is based on first hand use/ownership for those who are considering a purchase of Viking to search for, it would be very helpful.

That said I think there should be one ground rule. You MUST own the Viking product that you report on. Opinions are a valuable thing. But opinions gained through second or third hand knowledge would defeat the purpose. (Trying to obtain an accurate consensus about a product, not perpetuating a popular thought process)

ALL VIKING OWNERS Â Please post your opinion about the product(s) you own, good or bad.

Need a prompt?

What attracted you to your Viking product(s)?

What product(s) do you have?

How old are the product(s) you have?

What do you like about it/them?

What do you dislike about it/them?

What was your experience with customer service?

If you experienced problems, could you detail them a bit?

Would you buy another Viking?

Just some ideas. Please, please every Viking owner should respondÂ.Fairgold, ShappyÂ.

Comments (202)

• cedelchef
    8 years ago

My Viking was installed in June, 2015. I love it! I have 30 inch all gas. Love the broiler and that every burner can simmer! I previously had Jenn-Air this oven is much better insulated and stays warm much longer. Convection is great as well for roasts, etc. I was going with Wolf but the oven was too small for my cooking needs.

• xedos
    8 years ago

Really chef ?

What can you get in your oven that won't fit in a 30" wolf. Or dacor ? Or Bosch 30" ?

And pretty much everyone is smitten with Viking outa the box, they are oh so sexy to look at.

Its AFTER the honeymoon and the makeup is washed away that people start having buyers remorse cause the stuff stops performing, or breaks, or they can't get service or its lousy.

• kalapointer
    8 years ago

chef, according to the specs on the web sites the Wolf AG is bigger than Viking AG. Wolf is 24"w X 18 5/8"h X17"d = 4.4 cuft. Viking is 23w X 16 1/8h X 18 3/4" = 4.0 cuft. So, I don't understand why the Wolf was too small?

• cedelchef
    8 years ago

I never got to see one with my own eyes. All the store had was a larger one, with one of the ovens being 30" but my dishes wouldn't fit and they did in the Viking.

• xedos
    8 years ago

So you you really couldn't compare the wolf because they didn't have the model you were looking for ?

I guess you weren't aware that the oven sizes are different when you go to a 48" and 60" version ?

Not really an accurate comparison, but glad you like your viking. Be sure to check back in a year.

• cedelchef
    8 years ago

That's correct and same for the Viking there wasn't a 30 inch in my area for either. I went to another store same story. I had to go with what I learned from the models I tested.

• luv2putt
    8 years ago

I said this sept of 2012

I have Viking induction Range that i purchased in June ...I couldnt be happier ..zero issues ...the oven is spot on temp wise and the induction top is a beast ...With the 3 year warranty i had no reservations about purchasing ...

its now August 2015 .., zero issues .... Still love my red rocket range!!

• redforever
    8 years ago

We put in a 36" Viking induction cooktop, 6 burner, when we did our remodel in 2007. Not one issue since it was installed.

As the person before me said, it is a beast. I absolutely love it.

• C&N
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Gee xedos, you sound bitter. Sorry to hear you were so unhappy with your Viking. So far still no problems.

But don't let that stop you from keeping up w/the pessimism.

• C&N
    8 years ago

Nice to hear luv2. The Viking company of yesteryear that was synonymous with poor customer service and reliability issue reports is no longer the same company run by the same people.

• xedos
    8 years ago

Glad you, your fridge, range , and ovens are full of sunshine and roses.

But, the design of the fridge ( which has several recalls) still hasn't changed, and a year or two doesn't make for a good enough track record to say that things have REALLY changed regarding the operation.

I hope they do/ have turned it around. But , until there is a new , quantifiable reality - there are safer bets in appliances out there.

Peace, love and kumbaya.

• Tim Q
    8 years ago

I have a line on a Viking Fridge, circa 2007. It would be free as it has what sounds like a common problem of ice accumulation in the freezer leading to warming in the fridge. Is there a reasonably cost effective solution to this problem? As in, is it usually one of a number of parts that needs to be replaced? I see listings for "heater evaporators" and "defrost terminators" on EBay.

Or is this a sure sign of never ending headache that won't be worth the "Free" appliance?

Many thanks,

Tim

• xedos
    8 years ago

That's going to depend on how much and frequently you can tolerate $750 + service calls in order to use a 7 year old fridge.

What kind of quote did the owner get for repairing it ?

• Tim Q
    8 years ago

Haven't heard yet. I'm awaiting the exact model number to do my own investigations. I take it from the general tone on here that it's not usually the kind of repair you can do yourself.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I might have considered trying a Viking now with the new owners but not when there's absolutely no price breaks. Too expensive for all the problems they are known for.

• xedos
    8 years ago

Tim - I'm sure you could do, as long as you don't need to crack the compressor system. But, how much time do you think you'd spend becoming educated and then doing the repair, with little guarantee that you'll actually fix it ? How much do you value your time at ?

cp - so if they ran a 10% off sale , you'd consider Viking ?

• Tim Q
    8 years ago

Xedos - makes sense. I've got movers organized for the end of the month, so I might just have them throw it in the basement of the new place and see what there is to be learned. Do have a ton of projects already though.

• Tim Q
    8 years ago
    it's a VCBB363SS bottom freezer, right hand.
  • Liz
    8 years ago

WE JUST MOVED INTO A HOME WITH A VIKING FRDIGE, D/W, 30" COOKTOP, MICRO/CONVECTION & I WALL OVEN. THE GARBAGE DISPOSAL IS ANOITHER BRAND. HATE, HATE, HATE THE D/W. It doesn't hold - it holds MUCH less than a GE, KitcehnAAid & Bosch D/W we have had in other homes.

The fridge is 36" wide - top single door and pull out freezer drawer. I odor k now all the fuss - have a subzero in our Fla home, have had Sub-Zero in many other homes, as well as Kitchen Aid & Jenn-Air ...love subzero , loved Jenn-Air...It's odd, but in this house the Viking fridge, although model and booklets etc that was left by prior owner state is counter depth fridge, it was installed with built in cabinetry that JUTS out 6" past the counter. I don't get the fuss with viking. COOKTOPS - I prefer a wolf & even kitchen aid & a DCS to the viking. Although Gas, it seems you cannot regulate the gas heat specifically enough..

• pigstump
    8 years ago

We bought a 48 " Viking range 10 years ago when we completely remodeled our kitchen. I had always heard Viking was one of the best ranges you could buy........yikes!!! We have had nothing but trouble with this range. Every year there is some major repair...... some of the burners frequently don't ignite, and when they do all the others keep clicking and sparking........the broiler igniter has been replaced 3 times......the thermostats in both ovens have been replaced several times. This Christmas I attempted to make pies in the small oven. The pie had to cook an additional 30 minutes and the the pie crust bottom was soggy. The next day I preheated the oven to 400 and put and oven thermometer in it........after one and one half hours the temperature was only at 350. So now I am faced with yet another $800.00 to $1,000.00 repair or replace the damn thing with a different range. Jacquelyn

• C&N
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just a quick update, it's been almost 6 months and so far so good with our recently purchased post Middleby Viking Professional appliances - range, built-in fridge, combi oven and dishwasher. The range has been great and the combi oven is awesome! My wife has used the steam function and of course the microwave, but she has baked everything from bread, cookies, a roast chicken to meatloaf in it. It's like having a 2nd oven only smaller. The only issue e had was with the little magnets that hold the clean out cover up were not adhered to well, but that as an easy fix. Thus far we are very happy with our Viking Professional appliances.

More to follow...

• otmol2
    8 years ago

When we built my wife wanted Viking appliances. They have been nothing but a nightmare ever since they were installed. If one needs parts or service it is impossible to get. I would never recommend Viking, even if they were to give their product away free. The only good thing to come from free viking appliances would be if one could sell them for scrape metal as that is all they are good for.

• C&N
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Another update after over a year with our full Viking appliance package.

We have been nothing but happy with our Viking appliances. The only thing we've had a technician out for was to replace a knob on our range that our 12 yr old broke. Viking replaced it under warranty. Our local Viking service center is GREAT. The fridge, dishwasher, Combi oven, gas range and hood have all performed flawlessly. The range is fantastic! Not only do they perform great they look fantastic - we get so many compliments on them.

Hopefully the next update will be much of the same!

• emptym
    7 years ago

Hmm. I'm trying to decide between a full Viking package (range, hood, dw, fridge) and getting each item from a different company (Bluestar RCS range, Bosch dishwasher, Ventahood or Zephyr hood, maybe LG fridge). In a year or three we'll know more about the post-Middlebury Viking. Not sure I want to be one of the guinea pigs though.

• C&N
    7 years ago

We are happy so far being the guinea pig! Oh we also have a variable speed Viking exhaust hood over our range that has worked very well.

• emptym
    7 years ago

We ended up with the Bluestar, Ventahood, and Bosch combo, plus Kitchenaid fridge.

• cedelchef
    7 years ago

Happy owner here too as a guinea pig. No service calls, works great. 30" AG.

• mountainvalleycrafts
    7 years ago

I have an opportunity to buy an 8 burner duel fuel range. Its over ten years old but the price is right. It seems to be in excellent condition coming from a second home, hardly used. Should I have anything to worry about with an older model (2003), especially moving and re-installing? Anyone have problems with a 2003 model?

• Santosha Beber
    7 years ago

Our Viking cooktop only 6 years old failed. Some burners wouldn't ignite. Some didn't register that they were lit and kept clicking ad nauseum. I found Viking completely uninterested in standing behind their product. They crow on their website that they acknowledge their previous models had issues and have now improved due to Viking being acquired by a new corporation. But when I called to ask what specifically they had done to make it worth my while to invest in a new Viking cooktop no one could tell me anything other than they were now owned by a new corporation, and by gum that meant something! When I asked if they would be willing to offer me a replacement unit, or pay to upgrade the defective electronics, or at least give me a discount on a new model, they declined on all counts. I told them I would be happy to relate my experience with their company online — good or bad — and so that's what I'm doing. I ended up going with a DCS CDV-2365H and I love it — SO much better than the Viking. Build quality is great. High output burners. Incredibly low simmer on all burners. And it was $700 less expensive.

• C&N
    7 years ago

Your old Viking equipment is pre Middleby ownership, so while it is unfortunate you have experienced what other owners have encountered it is no way a reflection of current line up nor is it consistent with my experience with Viking customer service.

• Santosha Beber
    7 years ago

Well Nicole, that whole "Middleby" thing would mean a lot more if anyone were interested in giving me one detail about how things were improved — other than "we're now owned by Middleby" or if they were willing to make even a token gesture to allow me to experience it for myself without bearing the entire burden and expense of the unreliability of their old units. The whole "burn me once" thing applies here, and they had no interest in doing a thing for me. I can't speak to the quality of their new units, but based on my experience with them I'm not willing to pay to find out.

• Design Girl
    7 years ago

Does anyone here have experience with the Viking induction cooktop? I am really liking the looks of it (grey color) and I love the knobs. I am not interested in a touch control screen. Any input would be great. Thanks.

• redforever
    7 years ago

I have had the 6 burner professional Viking induction cooktop since 2008. It is a beast...not one problem to date.

Superior power at the top end and superior simmering at the bottom end.

My daughter has a 5 burner Miele induction cooktop with a bridge element and it does not even compare with my Viking cooktop.

• Design Girl
    6 years ago

Redforever, -Thanks - I love the look of the Viking although I think you have a different model in that you've had yours for 8 years. Great to know you love it.

• C&N
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

First post of 2019 :)

See my other updates above...

Ok, another year down with our Viking Professioal kitchen appliance package and another update for those considering Middelby owned Viking.

First, no issues to report with our built in refrigerator, very happy with the looks and performance. Well I take that back... The fridge door was creaking/popping (it did this from day 1) so we eventually got around to placing a service call to have it inspected and repaired. Viking took care of it, replacing the hinge under warranty.

Secondly, no issues to report with our 30" gas gas range. Very very happy still.

Third, no issues to report with our Viking dishwasher. Although there is a slight harmonic hum coming from the bottom of the washer when it first starts, almost like there is something touching the motor/pump causing a vibration. The result is a bit more noise at start up. We plan to call and have a warranty repair on this.

Fourth, our Combi convection/steam/microwave oven which we love, lost a key pad, which was diligently replaced under warranty and has been operating fine since.

Fifth, our Viking exhaust hood has performed admirably. The only issue was one of the led light rings on the control knob burned out, but was promptly replaced under warranty.

Lastly, we have found Viking customer service to be quite good when we called and our local Viking repairman to be very proficient and knowledgeable and super nice to boot.

No regrets, we still love our Viking appliances.

I hope our experienceexperiences thus far helps someone else.

• Design Girl
    5 years ago

C & N, Thank you so much for your update. I will be beginning my kitchen renovation in the next 6 months. I am going induction for cooking and am looking at the Viking 36 inch induction cooktop as I love the looks of it, and also considering the double wall ovens. It's nice to know that you have been happy with you kitchen package and that the service you have received has been good. I was going to go sub zero for my fridge, but it's nice to know you are happy with your Viking. I could easily be swayed. Thanks, I will feel much better purchasing my appliances now.

• R Cooley
    4 years ago

We have had our 36" Viking gas range for 7 months....it still leaks gas, even after 7 service calls!!! RUN AWAY from Viking! A 5K piece of furniture in our kitchen, and it's starting to rust on the top front too!

• gneegirl
    4 years ago

I believe I had written to this, or similar thread some time ago - many years ago, but I wanted to comment on the Viking appliances in my kitchen. Some have said here that they have the induction cooktop. I do, as well; the 36inch, and absolutely love it! I unfortunately purchased the hybrid, and am still kicking myself for not getting full induction. The larger of the induction burners is a true beast - love it. I use the smaller one most of the time and do have more trouble with in terms of pan-size and materials. I can put anything on the larger burner and it works; but not on the smaller. It may bececause I use the smaller one ALL of the time. Other than that issue, I am happy with the choice. That all said, I also have the wall oven - that I call the very expensive wall hanging. Because this oven was a replacement in a built-in situation with only 2 options I ended up with the Viking. However, I cannot use it since the hinges on the door continue to not hold properly so the doors will not close fully. This is not because of improper use, i.e., heavy opens on open door or leaning. It just falls from gravity I guess :(. I have not tried to have it fixed since I have heard many stories of people having them fixed and then havng the same problem. Also the clean feature is a llittle scary to use - it does not work properly, which I heard many times, has been a problem, as with customer service. ICustomer service should never be a problem with Viking - that is why you pay to play with those expensive toys - to get better products with support if you need it. I will have all of this fixed when I sell the house or re-do the kitchen. Until then, I am using the Breville Air countertop oven - which I love as much as as I love the Viking induction. I knew not to touch the frig! To those who have not had issues with their Viking appliances - enjoy. That is a good thing. I want to that too.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

gneegirl, So happy that you are happy with your Viking induction - My renovation is very behind schedule so I have not purchased my appliances yet. I was almost positive I wanted the Viking induction - Check photos below - are these the ones you have? I love the look

of them, and loved the knobs on the induction hence, the choice. I was going to get the double ovens as well, but am now rethinking reading your comments. Thank you for your info and let me know if these are the ones you have. Thanks.

• gneegirl
    4 years ago

Brian S - the wall oven looks the same from what I can tell. I don't remember the model number but I will try to locate my paperwork to check. The induction looks a little different, but I have the hybrid one plus it is dated now. I am hoping they have made changes to the wall oven since the horror stories were right around the time I purchased mine. Again - it has been a good while - at least 6 -8 years. Do a little more research on the oven to be sure. Best wishes on your choice.

• HU-304034156
    2 years ago

I bought a vicking dishwasher never worked could not and sill cannot get service or wven a return call or any help

• commonsense202
    2 years ago

My experience with Viking cooktops mean I will never buy their brand of anything again. Same with Samsung (TV). Same with Jeep. You get one chance.

• reorgman 11
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I purchased a Viking drawer microwave four years ago. There is arcing on the wave guide and the repairman says it is irreparable. This appears to be the same problem that Sharp had with its drawer microwaves and was subject to a class action lawsuit. Big difference is Sharp replaced its units Viking refuses to.

• commonsense202
    2 years ago

Bought a Viking cooktop in 2007. Got Wolf Ovens, Miele DW. Spent A LOT. The cooktop actually never worked. It was a combo electric and induction. I posted about it earlier. After Viking spent more on repairs than the cost of the cooktop, I pointed that out to the lovely/now friend customer service rep. She added up all service calls and finally said...cheaper to get a nee all electric cooktop. Induction never worked. I give a brand one shot. I am renovating a new home. Wolf yes, Miele, oh heck yes, cooktop, wolf and I can do gas!!!! Like TVs, Samsung, NEVER. Watching my 3 yr old 3D turn purple... as we speak. Sony is next choice for tv. The problem w Viking, they don't care. Seriously. Trying to profit on a name, a great name. Failure from top down.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Might not be relevant to list my 20+ year old applainces but since I’ve lived in this house (about three years) I’ve had several seevice calls on either my SZ fridge or freezer, my GE wall ovens need trial and error to get to the desired temperature, my GE microwave died (first microwave I’ve ever had issues with)… GE DW and Viking gas cooktop haven’t missed a beat. The performance of the Viking leaves a lot to be desired (despite being named Viking Performance) but the igniters spark and the gas lights and that’s that.

• C&N
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

It's been 4 years since my last update and 8 years since we installed our Viking Professional appliance package, all purchased under the new at the time Middleby.

I am happy to report that aside from some of the minor problems reported above, all of which were taken care of under warranty, we have not experienced any issues with our gas range, exhaust hood, dishwasher, and combi oven. All have performed flawlessly.

The only other issue that we experienced was earlier this year with the freezer of our Viking Professional built-in refrigerator accumulating ice at the bottom of the freezer and eventually that ice would melt and leak out. Being out of warranty, I personally replaced the thermostat, very easy, as well as hung a copper wire off the defroster down into the drain hole which leads to the drain pan underneath and we have not had a problem since. After further research, this is not an uncommon problem across various brands and in particular with bottom freezers of similar design.

I can honestly say, we have been very happy with our Viking Professional appliances to include the service received over the last 8 yrs. I said we would be the guinea pig buying this appliance package shortly after Middleby acquired Viking and I am glad we did. Middleby promised to improve the quality and customer service experience and based on our experience I can attest that they delivered on that promise.

I will continue to update this thread throughout our ownership experience to better document the long-term reliability of our Viking appliances.

• redforeverjmk .
    3 months ago

REgarding my Viking 6 burner Professional cooktop that I installed in 20026...IT IS STILL RUNNING AND HAS NOT NEEDED ONE REPAIR.

My husband has since died and my son lives in that house and he and his partner have nothing but good things to say about that induction cooktop.

I since moved into Calgary as my country home outside of Calgary was too much to maintain for me. There was a 6 burner Wolf range and oven in my new house...which most people would ooh and aah over. However, I have tried gas in the past and am not a fan whatsoever.

I quickly sold that Wolf range (got a good price for it) and quickly replaced it with another Viking 6 burner Professional induction cooktop. That was 5 years ago and I have not had any problem with this new Viking induction cooktop either.

As far as I am concerned, Viking rocks...well at least their induction cooktops do.

• Caroline Hamilton
    3 months ago

I've had a Viking double oven, microwave and cooktop for 9 years without a single issue. And I cook almost every day!

• Joan Stevens
    2 months ago

Our 2006 36” Viking stove came with the house we bought in 2014. It was always a little tweaky (ignitors in stove top never worked)but I liked it. Until the last year or so. The door hinge got stuck and you couldn’t open the door. We called our appliance guy who installed new hinges. Apparently the door glass shifted when he repaired it. He put some tinfoil to keep the top of the oven from getting too warm. Then, after calling Viking to check out the issue with the oven randomly turning itself on, we find that he put in the wrong size hinges. That explains why the door opens too easily. Anyway, now the thermostat is bad. Viking guy also says the burner igniters not working is dangerous as gas can be flowing and not burned off if your pot bubbles over and extinguishers the flame. Viking igniters are expensive. Viking thermostat plus new hinges was going to be $2000 (but hey- he’ll fix the door glass issue for free!). He also said the gas tubes in the oven are probably going bad (and what he described checked out with our experience) which would be lots more money- ultimately, to get our range working properly it would be around $5k. And no guarantee that it won’t need more expensive repairs down the line. We are choosing to go with a different stove for the next one.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm