Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchenaid Pro Series Ranges

Posted by seadweller (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 10:29

Greetings,

I've searched exhaustively, but can't seem to find much information on the Kitchenaid Pro ranges, such as the KDRS467 series. I've seen a few posts intimating that there were poor reviews on Gardenweb, but I can't seem to find them.

If you own one of these, what are your impressions? We want a 36" dual fuel range, and this seems to be a solid option. I've seen it in person, and it looks equal to the Dacor/DCS/Viking stuff. Most of the other brands are way out of price range in a dual fuel version.

Consumer Reports rated the product well, so is it frowned upon because it's a Kitchenaid, and not a Wolf or Capital? My only concern is that it might be typical mid-range components in commercial "clothing," but it does have high powered burners, equal to most of its competition.

Any reason not to buy one of these if you could save $2K-$3K? Is it sufficient for a couple of very good weekend cooks?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchenaid Pro Series Ranges

The main reason IMO that people have stayed away from KA ranges is because they have Whirlpool ovens. A few years ago they would die if you use the self-clean feature. Maybe they have improved but no one wants to be the first or one of the first to on GW to buy these. Not great at providing even consistent heat either.

The burners are standard wide ring sealed burners. Yes they have 20k btu power burners and a 5k btu simmer burner but not very even heat. With Wolf you get nothing special burners but a fantastic oven.

If you are looking at entry level/less expensive pro style ranges why are you paying a premium for dual fuel?

Why not save the money and get all-gas?

Consumer reports rates a lot of crap well and good appliances poorly.

For example they rate a Ninja blender with plastic gears/sockets that rarely last two years of hard use 1 point below Vitamix which has a long long established record for durability.

They rate KA ranges high and Bluestar near the bottom.

Some crap Chinese grill called Blue Ember #1 and Weber Summit near the bottom.

o

Thanks for the input. My wife bakes quite a bit, and struggled with our last all-gas range. It was a standard Kitchenaid unit, so is it possible that an all-gas range, such as a DCS for example, might have a better performing oven?

I'm even now considering a separate gas cooktop and wall oven. Thoughts?

o

I know this is an old thread but wondering if you went with the kitchenaid range you referred to above? my hubby and I have been having the exact same issue finding reviews on the KA gas ranges... CR rates it #1 and i do feel there is SOMETHING (not everything) to be said for that... ;) anwyay would love to hear if you ended up with it and if you llike it or not! thanks!! :)

o

I know this is an old thread but wondering if you went with the kitchenaid range you referred to above? my hubby and I have been having the exact same issue finding reviews on the KA gas ranges... CR rates it #1 and i do feel there is SOMETHING (not everything) to be said for that... ;) anwyay would love to hear if you ended up with it and if you llike it or not! thanks!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here