Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuhead

Independent vs Prestige Vent Hood

cuhead
16 years ago

First post here. Thanks to the forum, I've decided on an American Range 30" and now need to pick a hood to go over it. I dont have room for more than a 30" wide and am looking at the Independent and the Prestige in the standard 18" high pro style stainless. They look comparable basically (solid construction, baffle filter, lined). Any opinions on either would be appreciated.

Also it seems that each are standard with a 1200cfm blower though a 600 cfm is an option - any reason not to go with the 1200? The price difference is inconsequential. I pan fry and blacken occasionally so it might be nice to have for those times. I dont yet know of the make up air requirements in NJ though.

Comments (7)

• laney50w
    16 years ago

Hi there,

The extra CFM is certainly handy, especially if you really like to cook. The downside is that it will be loud. Then again, if a hood is not making noise, it probably isn't doing it's job, either.

Some may say that the 1200 CFM "may" be a bit much, but, then again, the speeds are adjustable, so, there's really no issue there, either.

FYI: "Independent" makes all hoods for WOLF Range Corp. Very good product, extremely well built, as well! They use thick stainless steel, have a ton of color options, and a really good bang-for-the-buck. I sell them, and I certainly stand behind them. I like their products very much.

Chris

• guadalupe
    16 years ago

Once again the power of the hood depends on how much duct run and how many turns, increasing power does not necessarily increase performance. A simple duct run requires less power if the hood is properly sized for your cooking product. A good choice might be the Kobe pro hood 1000 cfm multiple speeds and quieter than most.

• peggross1
    16 years ago

A plus you might consider w/the Prestige unit is that the fan control is an infinite control knob vs. a low/med/high setting on many other brands. This could be very nice especially with a higher cfm blower.

• luisa_at_home
    16 years ago

As a soon to be 36" American Range owner, I am very interested in this thread. Prestige is new to me. I believe it is made by Franke which probably ups the price, especially if it is coming from Europe. (Franke has a sink line made in Canada - the Kindred - which is much better priced for this reason). I wonder if the same is true for the hoods.
    I need a hood liner with 1200 cfm to be ducted out with 2 90º bends. (My contractor says exterior 45º bends are bad due to rain water infiltration.)Then it has to go 20' up to the roof.
    Does anyone have any experience with the Prestige, the noise or sone info? Is there another model anyone is familiar with as a liner?
    Thanks!
    Luisa

• malhgold
    16 years ago

My appliance guy told me Prestige is made in NJ and that their prices are coming down in the near future. No idea if this is true. Just passing on the info.

• friedajune
    16 years ago

Regarding 1200cfm vs. 600cfm - In addition to what Guadalupe said about the ductwork, you want to make sure your duct has the right size diameter for the exhaust. An Independent 600cfm hood needs an 8" duct; an Independent 1200cfm hood needs a 10" duct (I don't know about Prestige). What size duct do you have? If you have a smaller duct than what is required, you will increase the noise substantially, and decrease the efficiency of the exhaust. Some manufacturers even void the warranty if the duct used is smaller than they've specified.

I don't know about Prestige, but I do know that Independent used to make the hoods for Wolf (Wolf would just stick the Wolf badge on the Independent hood). Wolf decided to make its own hoods a year or so ago, but since Wolf is very careful about quality, I think it's a sign in Independent's favor that Wolf had previously chosen Independent to make the Wolf hoods.

• luisa_at_home
    16 years ago

Wow, that would be wonderful if the price comes down a bit. The 1200cfm Prestige liner is about $1700 right now - the same price as a complete wall-mount of some other brands. It does seem a bit high to us.
    Thanks so much for the heads up.