Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yet Another Sharp Microwave Drawer Question

Posted by schicksal (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 10:18

I'm planning for a microwave drawer for our kitchen and ran into a couple of questions.

When researching the Sharp branded model I noticed that it looks like it's been a while since it's been updated. Have there been any design changes lately or are there any that are due?

Someone on this thread
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0906291728914.html

mentioned vent changes and condensation issues from the Sharp being the reason why they bought the Wolf branded one. Our cabinet doors will be walnut veneer so this is a bit of a concern for me. Is it true, or have things changed since the comment was made?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yet Another Sharp Microwave Drawer Question

The design has not changed the last 3.5 years.

Sharp makes the Wolf MW drawer and it does not have the old style vents either.

I have my current design Sharp MW for several years now without condensation issues or any issues. Don't know if they have a new model coming.

o

Ok cool. I wasn't sure if it was a one off thing or not. In our layout it will be at the end of a peninsula and there will only be cabinets to the right and below. One thing is for certain though, it's that the minute we order one a fresh new design will come and take its place.

It's not clear to me though where the vent even is. Is it below the drawer?

o

I've had ours for a few months and haven't noticed condensation. We did have an oddball problem where for some settings, it would countdown and right before it got to zero it would start counting down again at 7 or 8 seconds. While this actual time difference doesn't matter, i was worried that there was some other glitch which could cause a greater problem down the road, so I called the appliance store and they are having a new circuit board ordered.

o

I am getting ready to have one installed in the end of a peninsula and I was wondering how hard it is to replace this when I want a new one later.

o

Probably not hard... FWIW we went 24" since it seems like the most likely size to become standard. Just placed the order earlier this week from AJM but we saw one at Home Depot and they look nicer in person than they do in pictures.

o

Thanks schicksal, I'm getting a 24" as well.

o

Catharine-my DH and electrician installed ours. Wasn't hard at all, but it was easier with two people. In fact, we had to take it out for some reason not long after install. No problems. We also have never had an issue with condensation in our 2.5 years of usage. Ours is installed at the end of our island.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

I am planning to use the 24" version of this model and wanted to buy one of the refurbished ones from EBay. However, there are none currently available. Does anyone know if these come and go on the site?

o

Around what size cabinets do you need to install the 24 inch microwave?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here