Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?

Posted by Vandit (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 10:05

Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee system. Anybody have one? I think the Thermador is it's only competition but is not plumbed in as far as built in systems. Opinions? Starting a new home build and would be nice to add to my kitchen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machin

Mine is a couple years old. It gets my highest recommendation for what we use it for, which is for coffee day or night. I am not a coffee snob and I suffer involuntary bouts of unconsciousness when people start talking about esoteric aspects of coffee. The machine is a super-automatic concealed within a wall-mount package. Coffee snobs sniff at superautomatics, I love them.

We buy beans in bulk from Costco and they work great. If you want a cup of espresso or coffee night or day, just walk up to the machine, make a selection and push the button. Voila.

Definitely get the self-plumbed version. Not messing with water is a great convenience.

The biggest selling point of the Miele, to me, was the ease of service. Everything pulls out of the front of the machine. Fill the beans, empty the waste container, even the entire brew group pulls straight out of the front if you ever need to clean it, which is almost never because the machine is just so well engineered.

Problems: The machine was shipped to me with a loose plug-jack in the wiring harness that I had to diagnose and fix when Miele denied my warranty ( I bought it from a dealer selling in violation of Miele's RPM resale policy, on ebay) But I figured it out. Suggest you NOT buy on ebay unless the seller agrees to give you a guarantee of warranty in writing before purchase.

Another problem is the stainless steel milk thermos. The vessel itself is great, keeps milk fresh for a whole day. But the lid has a couple of plastic siphon tubes that go down into the vessel to pump milk to the boiler. If you even slightly torque the plastic it shatters. When I got tired of patching them up, I replaced them with PEX lines. Much more durable and I don't worry about somebody breaking them anymore.

Hint: The milk cleaning packets Miele sells are over a dollar apiece. But if you dissolve one of their packets in warm water and smell the solution, you will pick up the unmistakeable whiff of Oxygen. The same smell you smell when you dissolve Oxyclean powder in water. So if you get tired of paying over a buck a day to clean your milk system, try a scant teaspoon of Oxyclean powder dissolved in warm water. It works great.

If you do get the Miele, it is packaged with two plastic containers that could be mistaken for fancy shipping spacers. They are not. They are used for system cleaning and descaling. So hang on to them.

o

I am a coffee snob so would never use one of these. If you must have built in and plumbed, check out the brew express. It will produce much better coffee than the Miele, but not espresso. If you want espresso and coffee and don't have to have built in, there are much better super automatics than the miele for less money. I'm talking coffee quality here, not convenience, aesthetics, etc.

o

Interesting.
My DH is into quality coffee and rejected the built in models

o

Yeah, it's cool to build it into the wall, but it's not that cool for that much money and the resultant quality of the coffee produced. Buy an enexpensive Moka pot and a decent milk frother and then put the extra $2500 into your range and hood instead. Or into a fully integrated fridge instead of just plain paneled. Or a Meile DW instead of Bosch. Or any of the hundreds of cost over runs you will experience on a new build.

o

No experience with Miele, but we love our Jura - not sure if they can be built in/plumbed. We got ours online from Costco at considerable savings.

o

Greendssigns- am already getting a Miele diamond DW, bi48 sub zero stainless, and wolf 48 inch AG range. The Miele system is a cool looking system and was impressed by the taste of the coffee compared to my $1200 Bosch Bienveneto automatic espresso machine.

o

Is the Miele you are looking at a super automatic or does it use the nespresso pod system? They make both. The nespresso pods deliver a fantastic cup of coffee, at a price. I have a nespresso machine and replaced it with a Jura super automatic. The coffee is not quite as good but it also costs considerably less.

o

We have it, waffled enormously on the cost but ended up going for it, and am so glad we did. It's the BEST thing about our kitchen. Love love love love love it ... (btw, did I mention I love it?).

It's both the pre-plumbed part and the fact that it holds a boatload of beans that makes it worth it's weight in gold for me (though you'd have to appreciate just what a complete and total cyclone mess my husband made every time he brewed a pot of pre-miele coffee to truly understand this, it was unbelievable!).

Like mojavean, I also "suffer involuntary bouts of unconsciousness when people start talking about esoteric aspects of coffee", lol. It makes a good cup of coffee as far as I'm concerned.

We made sacrifices on our other appliances in order to justify this purchase. For you it sounds like you can easily afford it, you seem to want it, so I say you should definitely do it.

o

Thx Taggie. That's what I was thinking. I like our Bosch we have had for 4 years, but like the plumbed in aspect and the large storage container of the Miele. I also like that it is built in and makes a great cup from what I tasted at the appliance store. Was just making sure no one had any horror stories from this machine.i might go with the Miele warming drawer underneath to match the machine. Do you need to buy any extra trim kit for the cva4066ss or does it come ready to install? Anyone installed it with the warming drawer (the big regular one, not the small one for cups)??

o

Vandit, we don't have a warming drawer but if we did we wouldn't have put it under our coffee maker due to where it sits in the kitchen. We did put a fridge and freezer drawer underneath though, which has been great as a place to store cream for regular coffee, and my husband has his milk, ice, and frozen fruit handy for the smoothies he makes at that breakfast bar area every morning as well.

You don't need any kind of a trim kit; just give your cabinet maker the cutout specs from the miele spec sheet and then the coffee maker just fits in there perfectly. We asked our cabinet maker to raise the cutout a couple of inches off the counter and make a frou-frou-ey trim piece below it (I like frou frou, lol). Pics below of what ours looks like installed:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hope this helps. Good luck Vandit, and enjoy your new kitchen and coffee maker!!

o

Superautomatics all work substantially the same way: Water is heated in a vessel and pumped at high pressure through a compressed 'puck' of coffee. The grinding, compressing, dispensing, and disposal of the puck into the waste bin are all handled similarly. I have had espresso out of several brands of superauto and haven't noticed much difference one way or the other when it comes to the quality of the beverage made. If you use decent beans you will like the coffee, unless you are a purist, in which case get a Rancilio Sivia with a PID and go to town.

There is nothing inferior in the product the Miele produces. The most common complaint is that the coffee isn't "hot" enough, if one is to believe some of the reviews of the older-generation Mieles. While it is true that the coffee is not as hot as you might expect coming out of a Mister Coffee, it is not unpalatably cooler, and there are user-selectable settings in the Miele that allow you to increase the temp of the coffee, as well as the dose of coffee, amount of water, fineness of grind, etc.

If you like the taste of coffee coming out of a super then the Miele will most likely make you very happy.

The good news is that if you live near or plan to travel to one of the Miele factory showrooms in several major cities you can stop by for a demo. Tasting the coffee is highly recommended. We did just that and liked it.

But what we really like is the convenience, the fact that we can simply walk up to the machine in the morning, slip a cup under the spout, push a button and have coffee magically appear is simply too cool for school. If there is something in the ritualized drudgery of having to work to make your own coffee that you enjoy, then the Miele is simply not for you and you should explore other avenues. A Brew Express, perhaps? Other than that, the Brew Express is not in the same ballpark as the Miele. It is not in the same league, or even on the same planet. They are entirely different in every regard. The Brew Express is a manual coffeemaker in a cubby-hole. The Miele is a barrista in a box that will make you a dynamite cappuccino, foamy milk and all, with one button push.

I get up early and my desire to fool around with a coffee machine first thing in the morning is remarkably low. That, combined with the superb engineering that went into the maintenance aspects of the machine, have made it a nearly perfect choice for us. When we are away from home the appliances I miss most are my range and the coffee machine.

o

The key to great coffee is proper (high enough) water temperature at the extraction stage of the brew process. The Brew Express is one of only a hand full of home machines certified by the SCAA (Specailty Coffee Association of America) to accomplish this. Any casual coffee drinker could easily taste the difference between coffee brewed optimally (temperature and extraction) and the vast majority of machines that don't get it right. No super automatic, including the Miele, comes even close this standard.
This may not be important for folks looking for convenience, button-pushing, speed, looks, etc. The coffee the Miele produces is not "bad," but it can easily be surpassed by many other options, mostly non built-in. I mentioned the Brew Express because it is a built-in design (coffee only). Espresso, IMO, should be produced by a separate, dedicated machine designed for that purpose.

o
Get the monza quickmill deluxe

I would like to be a coffee snob, but I am a snob over too many other things, and I don't have the time and the patience. And DW actually doesn't like espresso. Life is hard. :>)

However, I have enough experience to recommend against the Miele or the Jura Capresso, etc.

I have the only super automatic that coffee snobs at places like home-barista.com will only mildly sniff at. The Quickmill
Monza Deluxe
Super Automatic
Espresso Machine

Get it from Chriscoffee.com and you will get exceptional service. (Mine is packed up right now for servicing on an obscure problem (life is hard).

I had a Miele tech fix a problem for me after talking to Chris Coffee. He said that he thought the Miele's were excellent machines, but he could see they do not hold a candle to the Monza. He was deeply impressed.

While our Monza is being repaired, we have set up the old Jura Capresso S9. We are feeling very sorry for ourselves. The water may be hot, but the coffee it makes is vastly inferior.

Everything about this machine is superior. It can make espresso and froth simultaneously, it is infinitely better built, it is much more finely controlled, the frothing is several steps better. If you can afford this, and don't want to spring for a $6k commercial machine, please do yourself a favor and get the Monza.

It also looks much better.

The people at Chris Coffee are such fanatics, they took a superior machine and told Quickmill what improvements it needed. The new designed was tested for a year at all the MacDonalds in Italy before being released in the US.

Life is too short, and coffee is too important, not to have an adequate machine. At this time, there seems to be only one adequate super automatic, that is leaps and bounds better than any other.

o
Second the Moza recommedation, but . .

Love the Monza, best super Auto out there and maybe the only one that produces cafe quality espresso and can use non-oily and oily beans alike.

Couple of things

It is tempermental. Takes time to dial in the right pre-infusion, Boiler, and group temp (a feature very few if any Supers have). The one thing that fluctuates wildly is the grinder which is stepless with a worm gear giving infinite courseness settings. Though a grinder of the Monza's quality is on par with very high quality standalones, it has to be tweaked to each beans characteristics. So if a coffee drinker experiments with different beans from around the world, it can take the first 1/2 pound just to get the tweak right not to mention the Pre-infustion time and temps.

If you want a Super that is one touch and treats every bean generically, go with a miele, however even a Saeco Xlesis or Jura Z7.S9 probably outperforms it. The Miele's is flush mounted which makes it cool looking.

o

Saeco machines also offer some great models like the Experilla, or the Synthia at half the price of a built in.

o

got the cva4066 3 months ago. LOVE IT. Way better than our Bosch super auto. Great cup of coffee and expresso.

o

I'm in the middle of a new kitchen build-out and I have been
looking at the Ariston / Scholtes built-in super-auto.
I just don't have anywhere to fit the units that
require 20+" of depth. The Ariston is only 12 inches
deep and will fit in a wall cabinet. I have the perfect
place for that in my kitchen design. Ideally, I would
have liked the plumbed unit but I settled for the non-
plumbed unit because I scored it off ebay for less than
half normal retail.

I had already posted here asking if anyone had any
experience with Ariston. One fellow posted a horror story.
I decided I was willing to "risk it" given the excellent
price. It will be 3-4 months before I'll be using it, but
I will be sure to let others on this forum know how it goes.

I'm really a drip coffee lover and I think I will only use
the espresso machine occasionally (yet another reason I
couldn't justify the $2k-3k price of other units).

o

So, I still haven't tired out the Ariston but it is very very
good looking. It looks so pretty it must be good :-)
I can't wait to get this thing installed and try it out.

o

I'm an absolute coffee nut, though I cant drink much in a single setting. That being said what I do have I want to be killer. In my quest I've tried just about ever single mechanism under the sun.

If you want GOOD coffee for yourself, you have three choices.

1: Vacuum/Balance brewer. They range from cheap to expensive, but the expensive ones are absolutely stunning and a talking point for all of your guests and will be something you can show off in your kitchen.

2: French press. Don't think I need to get into that too much.

3: Clover, if you can get one and have 6-10 large ones (ARGH starbucks, why did you buy and ruin this company?)

Everything else is a tradeoff. The drip ones are ok, but more built to deliver a lot of coffee and not always quality. The expensive ones are (generally) no better than the cheap ones and only a few actually seem to heat the water to the right temperatures.

Espresso is a different beast entirely. I've had a few cheap ones, a rocky, a giotto ecm and finally have a plumbed in La Spaziale Vivaldi II. Even at two shots a day, the plumbed in version is so worth it.

All of the superautomatics have significant tradeoffs and I do not like them, normally this is found in the grinder but they can extend to all kinds of different places. Go check out homebrista and coffeegeek for good information about all of the different units.

Just keep in mind that the quality of the grinder is probably only second to the roast/freshness of the beans in coffee taste. Must do that part right as well.

o

DONT BUY THIS MACHINE. Initially we loved this machine, but after having the center brew unit fail after a few months, they told us to set on coarse grind & clean frequently , they sent a new one that we cleaned religously (weekly). Now this one has failed and Miele is saying this time it is becuase we use french roast and espresso beans "which are oily" and they recommend not to use those beans or if you do to clean daily. NOWHERE IN THE OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS DOES IT STATE THAT BUT WE ARE SOMEHOW SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT. They refuse to replace the brew unit since it is out of warranty and it is our fault we didn't have devine knowledge regarding what beans to use. Their customer service people are arrogant. They told us we should have called and asked their "care & use department" about any issues that are not in their opearting intrusctions when we bought the machine and they would have told us Miele recommends not using "oily beans". IF THEY RECOMMEND THAT - PUT IT IN THE OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS!!

o

wow judsontr, that is awful! we really want this machine, for convenience and admittedly equally for looks and cool factor, but to shell out that kind of money and end up with a useless machine is horrible.

o

btw,when we were at aj madison, we asked about the coffee machine and the salesman said someone ruined it by putting flavored beans in it so their floor model wasn't working. how can one determine if their beans are "oily"?

o

Salesman I've talked to suggested not getting the plumbed in model, too many catastrophic problems can occur.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here