Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Used Sub Zero- how old is too old

Posted by lafacia (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 9:25

What do you think is the maximum years old that makes sense on a used sub zero purchase? Also, are there any years to avoid - defective product years or something like that? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Used Sub Zero- how old is too old

depends on the price and your comfort level accepting risk.

o

I don't really want to take on a lot of risk. And I'd spend $5K-$6K but would prefer to spend less. Most of the used ones I've come across so far are 15+ years old. Worth it? Seems too old to me but if it's really a 40 year refrigerator then maybe I am being short sighted?

o

15 years old at 5-6 grand ???

No way Jose.

$2-3k tops if it was in really good shape.

$7k will get you a new built in if you are patient and not wed to a particular brand.

o

When i took my old SZ out it really look old behind nice front. They are sensitive beasts - and very heavy. And meant to be builtin Think about transport and damage from that. I would think a normal fridge would be more portable.

o

I have a 1989 Sub Zero 511 - I would say this - the older ones do seem more reliable than the more recent ones. From what I understand, SZ used an aluminum evaporator during the mid to late 90's, which has been a huge source of trouble over the years. In general, I am not sure I would tie up $5k in a used SZ - given the 10 year sealed system warranty and a lot of other things, you may be better to spend $2k more and get a new one.

o

Lafacia, this may help: 20 years ago we put one of the smallest size SZs in when we bought our house. Ten years later, we reno'd the kitchen and replaced it with another slightly larger SZ. The old one went into storage in the garage, where it sat with the spiders for another ten years. A year ago, we pulled it out of the garage, cleaned off the spiderwebs, and set it up on the porch to handle overflow for a party. It works just fine - to the point that I so loved having the extra space, we've just kept it on. Had the SZ maintenance guy come out and check it out -- got a clean bill of health, didn't have to do a thing for it other than clean off the condensers.

I'm now planning a new house, and plan to put a SZ in that one too. I think you'd have to pry my SZ out of my cold dead hands at this point .

The only thing I can tell you that the new ones do better on is energy efficiency. Would I buy a used one? Yep, I probably would.

HTH....

o

A friend just replaced her 20 year subzero's compressor for nearly 2K. They did not want to replace the entire frig given the paneling issues...

o

Our Habitat restore got in two SZs. One was 36" wide and the other 48". The smaller one sold quickly for about $800. The bigger one sat for couple of months. I just bought it for $450. I wish that would have included moving!

Its a model 532 that was made in July 1987. It has been serviced regularly and appears to be in great shape.

o

I just saw a SZ floor model 48" panel ready for 6400.00. This was at Fergusons in Cincinnati.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here