Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renov8r_gw

GE washer and dryer

renov8r
10 years ago

I am wondering if anyone has opinions on the steam washer and dryer from GE. I don't see any reviews of these appliances. I am also considering not getting the steam component thinking I might not use it much. Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome. I need to finalize my choices soon.

Comments (8)

• grandmamaloy
    10 years ago

I, personally, will not use GE appliances of any kind. Through a couple of bad experiences, I found that you will end up replacing these more often, as opposed to having them repaired, because GE tends not to have parts available after something reaches about 5 years old. NOT a good thing. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had no bad experiences with GE, but I'm not one of them.

I've wondered the same about the steam option when I FINALLY have to replace my Maytags, and I'm not sure about that one either. There are rare occasions when it would be great, but if you are someone who doesn't leave stuff sitting in the drier when it's done, then you probably don't need it. Just one more thing to break down. :)

Also beware the front loading machines. My Maytag repairman isn't thrilled with them and if you don't use the more expensive "special" detergent, they can really get to smelling (that from more than one friend who has them).

• sailas
    10 years ago

Most GE laundry appliances are fine, but you can get more bang for buck by looking into the latest Samsung/LG models.

I collected the product data from all manufacturers so you can compare the latest models side by side. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Washing Machine Comparison

• CT_Newbie
    10 years ago

Our previous GE washer and dryer front loaders were very good, though it seemed like the run times were on the long side. The timer didn't correlate to the actual time left (the repairman said there was nothing wrong, the machine was almost too smart for itself and kept adjusting its sensing time)

We got the latest washer dryer from GE with steam. DH works for GE (but not with appliances) so we got a discount. I haven't used the steam function yet, but we have had problems with the washer. It gets water stuck in the drawer that houses the detergent so I have to dump it out after each use (or risk it becoming stale). Plus, when I take it out, I have to be careful not to spill. I asked the repairman about it and he said there's no way to fix it and that it was a new model and they were still working out the kinks.

We had another problem with the dryer - the bulb was loose and the wires were hanging out and eventually fell off with part of the socket still stuck in the machine. That was covered under warranty but it was still a pain to have 3 different repair people come before it was fixed. First the installer came to say it wasn't his problem, next the repairman came and even though I told them we needed a new bulb when I booked the appt they didn't send the repairman with one so they had to order one and then the repairman installed it.

However, i wanted him to also switch the door (I told them that at the time and that I wanted a price for it and perhaps I didn't have to pay the home visit $95 since they were there for the bulb anyway). The repairman said he didn't think we should switch the door swing because it was a brand new machine and nobody (no repairmen) have switched that door yet since it was a new model and it was more complex than it sounded. He claimed he didn't have time to do it anyway.

The dryer guys chipped our wooden stairs as they were rushing with the hand truck The washer guys didn't test our hot/cold water (which had been reversed by the builder) so we had to call them back to re-install the washer.

So, service for GE is sorely lacking in my opinion - at least in my area. And the models we got had initially very good reviews according to my husband.

My friend had an LG washer and had a problem with it too so hard to say iif it is any one particular company or just a decline in quality as companies seek profits. For my kitchen renovation, we had to return/repair almost a third of new products ordered due to defects, wrong appliance sent, etc.

Good luck!

• renov8r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Newbie, That is very discouraging, especially the last line. I have been planning for this reno for over 2 years and buying these appliances is very stressful with so many opinions and experiences. Thanks for your input.

• CT_Newbie
    10 years ago

I'm sorry reno. I didn't mean to take the air out of your balloon. You should definitely enjoy the reno but just set your expectations a little lower so that you won't be discouraged. Think of it as a longer term labor of love. You might just get lucky too. Some people have very little go wrong but I do think most have a least one sort of a set back.

I will say buy from trusted sources and from ones which have good customer service and official dealers so that the manufacturer's warranty is good. Also, try to check your appliances and all of their functions as soon as you get them. We took a little longer than we should have but fortunately we were covered.

If you have the model # of the GE washer you were going to buy, let me know what it is and I can see if it is the one I have. If it is, then I really would suggest buying a steam model with a different brand (or maybe GE has an older steam model that doesn't have the water issue that mine does)

But maybe the fact that I haven't used the steam and my friend said she rarely used the steam on her LG may help narrow your decision. I thought I would use it on the kids stuffed animals (the ones that say surface wash only) but then I was worried it would be too hot and would disintegrate them. I thought I might occasionally use them on my nice blouses when I go back to work but I haven't yet gone back to work. Then I thought I might use them on the kids soiled clothes but I was worried it would shrink the clothes and so far the regular wash plus Spray and Wash and pre-soaking seems to get out the stains. Plus, I'm so busy, I haven't fully read the instructions for the steam, though I will try it at some point on a stuffed animal that isn't that important. But if you have different purposes and greater frequencies than maybe steam makes sense for you.

Don't be discouraged. Feel like you've saved yourself some headache down the road

• InTheBloom
    10 years ago

I am not a fan of GE appliances. They lost me about 8 years back. Had built a new house and builder used all GE for kitchen. Fridge replaced at year 7 and dishwasher toast at 5 years. Grumpy....Oh, the microwave and stove still work for now. LOL.

• JandJG
    9 years ago

My GE Right height dryer with the steam feature broke on me the second day of use. It took GE 6 weeks+ to repair (at least I hope it is finally working properly)....along the way they had backordered parts, accused me of ripping out the moisture bar, changed an appointment time at 7pm the night before, sent the wrong info after they offered to extend the warranty 6 mos., and refused to replaced any appliance within the first year of purchase regardless of their inability to repair it in a timely fashion. Both the dryer and GE as a company have been unable to perform in a satisfactory manner.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I love my GE Washer and Dryer! I also just got back from vacation and they had a GE washer and dryer in the condo and it was fantastic. It looked like the european type, low and small but they could really clean and were so quiet. I hadn't seen these type of built in W/D's before by GE. I loved them. They had a corian top built over them and they were completely flush so that a sink at the end fit together as all one piece.

Mine are the regular full size W/D. I would not hesitate to buy my washer and dryer by GE again. I've had them for a couple of years now and never a minute's trouble with them and they clean really well. The reason I bought them is because I used them in yet another condo that we rented that had this exact pair and I liked them so much I came home and bought them to replace the horrid Bravos top load. Ugh⦠The Bravos had steam and I never used it except a little at first and I could not tell one bit of difference so I didn't want that on my next pair and went with as few options as I could get. I mean who uses all that stuff? I just want to put clothes in and wash them if they are white they get hot if they are colors they get warm and cold. End of story. I like the delicate setting for some things but some of them have so many settings it's crazy. Believe me, I am an extremely picky person and I've come to the painfully and expensively learned lesson that less is more when it comes to bells and whistles on appliances. Here's a photo of my GE W/D. Excuse the wallpaper I have yet to take down and the mismatched pulls. We just recently added the granite in the LR.