Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Help me pick a gas range that isnt going to break the bank

Kristen Hallock
11 years ago

I had my heartset on a 36" gas Wolf range. But I dont know if we should spend $5600ish on one. I also looked at BlueStar, but that is pretty much the same price. Just got a quote yesterday of $5600+ for the range, another $250 for the island trim and then the guy threw in a quote for a 36" Blue Star hood that was over $2200. Total with tax came up to $8800 and some change.

So back to the drawing board. I have a family of 4 (2 young kids). We do cook most nights, but its hardly anything fancy. I want a gas range with 6 burners. I want it to look nice. I like the look of Wolf and BlueStar. But I've also seen others like Bertazzoni that I could certainly live with.

Right now we are cooking on an old Jenn Air electric cooktop. from circa ~1993. It has coils on one side and a downdraft in the middle and a glass top drop-in on the other side. So probably anything would be better than that. I dont do that much oven cooking. Maybe a turkey, some baking like cookies and cakes and muffins. Mostly i cook on the burners. My husband would like to use a wok. I've heard the BlueStars are awesome for that, but for the amount that we would use a wok I dont know that we really need 22k BTU burners, especially at $5600.

The price on the Wolf or Bluestar isnt completely out of the question, but I think my hubby would be more comfortable spending less. Like maybe around $4000 on a range. and $1500 on a hood - is it possible to get something nice for those prices?

So I'd like some help with other brands that I should be investigating. I need something that works and cooks and isnt going to break and cost a fortune to fix i guess.

Comments (4)