Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Filtered water thru faucet

Posted by meob (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 8:55

We would like to avoid buying a s/s frig with a water & ice dispenser but we drink water all day. Are there any new faucets or means to get filtered water from the sinK? I realize this would mean we would still need to go to the frig for ice? Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Filtered water thru faucet

The number of choices is incredible. Consideration begins by what you want filtered. Is your water OK but just doesn't taste right? Chlorine issues? What?

Choices range from simple particulate filter through charcoal up to RO units at the top....and there are vast ranges of capacity and quality and price throughout.

Might try over at the plumbing forum. That's where most of the filtration mavens hang out.

o

We have filtered water at the sink with a GE SmartWater undersink system. Used to have an RO, but the wasted water bothered us (we live in high desert country and everybody's very water-conscious as droughts happen every 5-7 years). When it died we went to the undersink system.

GE makes 3 different filters at various price levels. We use the mid-priced filter and are extremely pleased. It's amazing how much easier it is to remember to drink water when it's right on tap, and so much more economical than buying bottled water with all the resulting plastic waste.

For us it was a decision based on taste; our water is actually pretty good from the municipal system.

o

I use a GE filter on the cold water line under my cleanup sink. I love it because I don't have an extra faucet at the sink, meaning I didn't have to spend on the faucet and don't have it cluttering up my clean counter/sink area. The filter system was about $50 at HD, and the replacement filters are a fraction of that.

My water is good quality (used to be a beer made here based on the excellent water in the area), but I just don't like the taste so filtering out "bad" things wasn't an issue.

o

meob, the big thing to decide early on is how much flow you want. A filter slows the flow of your normal tap water. There ARE a few filters that can produce a 2 gpm flow (high enough for a regular kitchen faucet). They are big in size.

as asolo mentioned, the choices are huge. Use flow as your first selection criterion.

o

I installed an Aqau Pure under sink filter - on the cold water side - both sink and icemaker. The cartridge is for both sediment and taste (activated charcoal) - the filter is about the size of a quart milk bottle. It's good for about 1,500 gallons - for the two of us 9 months to a year.

I'm sure a plumber has access to these - I bought mine at Grainger.

o

There is only a very, very slight decrease in water flow from my GE filter. I didn't notice it until someone asked me about it directly so I did an experiment with both my sinks that both have the same faucet. The only difference that I can tell is that the cleanup sink has the filter. The very slight decrease in flow was only visible to me doing this comparison. I never even noticed it when using the cleanup sink as it has ZERO impact on the function of the sink.

o

I should have said that the slight water pressure difference is only apparent when only the cold water is turned on. The hot water pressure is not affected at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here