Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fouramblues

has anyone gone Frankenstein on their new refrigerator/freezer?

fouramblues
12 years ago

We're just about to start a kitchen remodel and I got a good layout suggestion from palimpsest over on the kitchen forum: swap the placement of the all-refrigerator and all-freezer and reverse the doors. Only the two I picked don't have field reversible doors (Frigidaire FPRH19D7LF and FPRH19D7LF). I looked at the specs and they have identical boxes and identical doors, and swapping doors would do the trick. Has anybody ever swapped the doors themselves? I don't want to destroy my brand new appliances, but it seems like all the "stuff" I need is right there. Any suggestions would be great. TIA!

Comments (18)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

Please, please, please! share what you learn and what you finally do about this. I would greatly prefer a freezerless fridge but must have one with a left hinge for my space.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mabeldingeldine, don't know what your plans include, but my idea of swapping doors requires a refrigerator and a freezer: take both doors off, put the refr. door on the freezer, and vice versa. I emailed Frigidaire ages ago, with no response.

• tubeman
    12 years ago

It seems like this would work. I have both and they are identical.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is good news, tubeman -- thank you! Any idea if there are already holes (capped or otherwise) on the door and box on the opposite side from the hinge? (Ie the holes necessary if the factory were to mount a door on the opposite side. I don't think I want to drill into my nice, new appliances.)

• jscout
    12 years ago

I have these units but I don't think it's possible to do what you want. Let me take a look tonight when I get home. Maybe I can take some pix for you.

• jscout
    12 years ago

BTW, I just went back to your old thread to take a look at your plan and I don't think it would be a show stopper if you couldn't swap the doors. I mean it might matter if you intend to open the fridge take things out and start tossing them onto the prep counter. Or of you want to let the door slowly close itself while you stand at the prep and look back scanning for other ingredients. For what's it's worth, I have a similar arrangement but longer distance and I think the 1 to 2 feet closer to prep makes a bigger difference.

• theultimatebikerchic
    12 years ago

I turned my left hinge fridge into a right hinge fridge with the aid of Sears website. They have in-depth diagrams of vast numbers of appliances. Go to searspartsdirect dot com. Enter the model number and choose the model # search option. Hope this helps!

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the great info, jscout; I'd love pics if you can do that! I've gone back and forth about which placement of refrige/freezer is optimal. It's good to hear your vote for refrige closer to prep, since from what you say that might be my only option!

bikerchic, many refrigerators have the option of changing the hinge side, but sadly the one I want doesn't. :( But thanks for the link! (Which does have my refrig/freezer, and might come in handy later.)

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

There is a difference between swapping the doors between the two units and reversing the swing of the doors on each unit. The doors don't have the same layout (no use for a butter tray for the freezer).

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually, weedmeister, the door components are completely modular. Most of the components are identical and would stay in place, but I'd take the butter tray off the one door and put it on the other if I did swap the doors. (And you're right, I'm not talking about reversing the swing, I'm talking about swapping the doors. Crazy, I know...)

• tubeman
    12 years ago

There are holes in both sides of the box. It looks to me like it would work. Worst case is that it doesn't and you put them back. I have the same dilemma but opted to leave them as they are for now because the handles would be on the outside as opposed to together in the middle. If it bothers me much I will consider changing them down the road.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm, so the holes are there on the box. Thanks for letting me know, tubeman! I think I'm settled on these units now, and it's good to know that there might be a good 'plan B' if I don't like them installed as-is.

• jscout
    12 years ago

Looks like I won't be able to deliver on the pix. I have the trim kit and I'd have to unscrew stuff to get it out. The good news is I did look at the installation documents and as tubeman says, there are already holes. The hinge bracket holes also serve the purpose of tying the units together with metal brackets. One thing you might need to also consider doing is to move the light switch on each unit to the opposite side. The holes are already there and capped, so nothing to drill. I think you'll like the units. I really like mine.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for trying, jscout, and thanks for the advice! I'm so excited that I'll soon have this refr/frzr -- the reviews are good, they're HUGE, and they look good, to boot! :)

• PRO
    Erica Pigula Interior Design
    7 years ago

Hi! @fouramblues Did you end up switching them?? I'm having the same issue. Thanks!!

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nope, left them as-is. Sorry I can't help you!

• PRO
    Erica Pigula Interior Design
    7 years ago

Thanks so much fouramblues! Sorry I don't know if I recall what your setup was going to be but did you end up leaving them the "wrong" way. If so, did it bother you? Or did you move the freezer and fridge so the handles were the way they were "supposed" to be? Oh and, how do you like them?