Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reneeann13

Disposal in island prep sink?

reneeann13
16 years ago

Is a disposal in the prep sink a "must"? Since I've never had a prep sink before I didn't think it was, but read an article which said it's a necessity. Is it?

Comments (7)

• kat_ofhb
    16 years ago

Well, what is it that will go on in that sink? Slicing & dicing? Unless you want to trot those scraps over to the can or to the sink with a disposer you can install another grinder in the island. I wouldn't call it a necessity- you be the judge.

• borngrace
    16 years ago

We are on septic and only use our disposal for what gets left over on plates not to dump all scraps down.

I will have a pull-out trash right by my prep sink for scraps.

I grew up with a disposal (and septic) and we put everything down it (big problems years later) and I thought what a punishment not to be able to have one when we lived in NYC and when we redid our old house (1745 with who knows what diameter pipes) GC/plumber/DH all said no to disposal --- grrrr. I lived.

This house came with one and I use it as mentioned above. So when we redo kitchen I will put one in main sink but not in small prep. Also cabinet space is a premium in my island and I don't want to give up more than I have to.

hth

• cpovey
    16 years ago

I use essentially all fresh fruits and vegetables and have a lot of scraps-consequently I use my disposal in the prep sink more than the one in the main sink.

If you compost, you obviously do not need one, but otherwise I would say yes.

You can minimize the impact of a disposal in a cabinet by getting a sink with a rear or even better, rear corner drain. This makes all the space in front of it available. My prep sink is roughly 15" square, and is a Blanco. No great affection for the brand, but they had the corner drain I was after.

I have a 1 HP disposal, air switch, 13 gallon trash can, three gallon bottles, plumbing from the floor, plus some miscellaneous items in my 24" cabinet, all because of the rear corner drain. Literally one of the best design decisions I made in the kitchen.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

The peoplewe know with prep sinks without disposals use theirs as hand washing places and for the occasional glass of water or as a wine bucket. That's quite a waste for a sink in my opinion.

I wouldn't have a prep sink if I couldn't have a disposal (and thank god we can have one...so in each sink I have a great quality disposal).

• jillalamedat
    16 years ago

I actually compost most of my food scraps, and I am still glad I have a disposer in the prep sink. It just makes cleaning up so much easier.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

My SIL did an absolutely beautiful and functional kitchen remodel many years ago and the only decision she ever regretted was not putting in the disposer in the prep sink.

• pirula
    16 years ago

We compost and are still glad we have a disposal for the dregs, and for any meat scraps. The prep sink is far more functional for prep is you have a disposal there. Ours is also in the island.

And I want to second cpcovey's comment on a corner drain. We have one too, and I love it. Our sink is a Franke, but corner drains are not a dime a dozen. It saves alot of space down below in the cabinet for storage, we were able to fit in a pull out trash bin which never would have fit had the drain been in the center.

Ivette