Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texanniew

Cooktops and Fridges

texanniew
12 years ago

I had thought that induction would be out of my price range, but after some research, maybe not. Any thoughts on electric versus induction? It will need to be 30". Does having the microwave built in above it make any difference?

We are really liking the GE SS side by side fridge with the double freezer drawer but I am seeing some comments that are negative. What are the issues? Any recs?

Comments (6)

• plllog
    12 years ago

Induction has superior control, and usually power, to electric, and is much easier to clean. You do need compatible pans, but if you don't already have them, there are some that are quite inexpensive.

If you must have the microwave over the stove, you may find that because you're more tempted to cook more interesting things because of the ease and response of induction, and put out more fumes than the fan can handle. OTOH, because the cooktop itself doesn't get overly hot--just heats from the hot pots in contact with it--it might be marginally safer to lean across to use the microwave (though still a problem with the steam and heat of the pots themselves).

Basically, I don't now anyone who wouldn't recommend induction over electric. Most prefer it to gas too, but at least gas has flame and alternative fuel source (good in blackout) to recommend it. :)

30" is fine. A factoid that has been floating around here is that most people rarely have more than 3 pots going on the stove at once. I've found that to be true even when I'm making feasts for dozens. I might have four going for a short time when there's a pot for soup and a pot for dumplings, but I think I've only had all five going once in the last two years, and never had that many before that. Most 30" have four elements.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

Which GE are you talking about?

• texanniew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GE Profile 20.5 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

If you plan to stay electric - go induction!
    Ours will be installed in about 2 weeks - and I am geeked!

• texanniew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks!

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

go induction, you won't be sorry. had ours since sept. and would never go back. had gas and electric coil and there is no comparison to electric coil. no burnt on food, simple to clean, so responsvie ...so easy!!!

we have 36" miele and we had five burners going only once and 4 a few times. 30" for everyday will be fine, i think.
    i just wanted the extra room for the pots b/c on my old electric coil i could not use 2 big pots or pans at once w/o touching each other... so frustrating.

i do agree if you have alot of power outages, gas would be better (if that's an optiion) but we do have a outdoor grill, so i think we would be ok.

i would not do micro over cooktop, whatever kind you choose. i just don't think they are strong enough for anything.. but if its your only recourse, then go for it.

i'm no help with the frig.. we went with a liebherr.

go induction, its the best!!
    HTH