Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedee_2008_gw

Samsung FD SS refrigerator stop-sell

deedee-2008
16 years ago

After two months of FD refrigerator research, I went to Lowe's yesterday to purchase a Samsung FD stainless steel model with the on-door icemaker (a must for our house). The Lowe's salesman showed me how there was a immediate "stop-sell" order placed on those models due to problems with the SS panels being wavy, and the ice maker being too slow. For some odd reason, the other finishes are not affected. I am hesitant to purchase the "platinum" finish because of possibly a mismatch. Anyone else hear about this?

Comments (20)

• kharmony
    16 years ago

Has anyone else heard this?

• dassykee
    16 years ago

Say it ain't so!!!

It took me weeks to decide on a fridge & I decided on the Samsung FD SS. Hope someone can come up with more info on this.

• vadefeo
    16 years ago

On Sunday, my husband and I went to Lowes to check out the Samsung w/ice maker. All the floor models were gone! We were then told by the salesman that there has been a recall due to slow making ice and they have found a fix. They should be back in the stores around the middle of March.
    Hope this helps.

• daven
    16 years ago

We just got ours this month. Works great except the ice maker is a bit pokey. I hope that someone will have more info and that this will be a field upgradeable fix.

• vadefeo
    16 years ago

Hi Daven,

I'd either contact Samsung or the store you bought it from.
    The sales rep at Lowe's assured me there was an easy fix, so maybe they will send someone out to repair yours.

Va

• berryberry
    16 years ago

Kudos to Samsung. This is how you handle a problem. You stop selling it and fix it - rather than continuing selling it and having people complain.

No wonder they have ranked highest in JD Powers surveys for FD refrigerators 3 years in a row

• dassykee
    16 years ago

I checked into this yesterday at my local Lowes. The very knowledgeable salesman said that it was a problem with the ice thru the door models only.

• deedee-2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The appliance salesperson at Lowe's told me yesterday that the Samsung sales rep is now thinking the SS models with the ice through the door may now not be sold again for at least one month. They (Samsung) are apparently still working out the kinks. Anyone else hear this? My kitchen will be done at the mid-April, so it will be cutting it close for me.

• kaagnj
    16 years ago

Appliance guy at my Lowes in NJ said the ice maker problem -- he didn't elaborate -- has been resolved and the SS through the door is now available. I didn't press him to check his inventory (he said they're in) since it's not on sale and I'm not ready to buy. Anyone else hear if this is resolved?

• olchik
    16 years ago

So does this mean there's a problem with the GE FD with icemaker, since Samsung's the one who makes it for them?

• kaagnj
    16 years ago

Yeah, that's a good question about the GE FD with icemaker. I haven't heard anything on that, nor did I ask the guy at Lowes. This whole issue is odd -- besides this board, no other mention anywhere on the web. Nothing from Samsung (I sent them a question about it two weeks ago, but no reply). And yet, Samsung refrig offerings on the Lowes website are getting thinner and thinner (either "temporarily unavail" or being pulled from the site altogether). Something's not right. Is Lowes backing away from carrying Sammy appliances?

• deedee-2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just got a call from the appliance salesperson at Lowe's again, who now says the problem is fixed with the SS Samsung FD refrigerators. He said I now can come in to see them since the floor models are back. Hopefully, this is the end of this saga :)

• olchik
    16 years ago

Talked with a Lowes salesguy yesterday. He said:
    1. The problem is in the waviness of the door - in both Samsung and GE profile units - they're replacing the doors.
    2. Another problem is the slow icemaker - making something like 12 lbs of ice per day vs the claimed 20 lbs - fixing that too.
    But the biggest thing he told me is that Samsung is coming out with a 29 cu ft french door very soon and this one will also have LED lighting like the GE has. Same outside dimensions but more compact insulation.

• stephand
    16 years ago

29 cu ft with the same footprint?!! That definitely sounds like something worth waiting a bit for. The GE was already my first choice based on layout, the freezer bins and water/ice in the door. If they can make it bigger inside then I'll be all over it. Hoping, hoping, hoping....

• olchik
    16 years ago

Yeah, he said it should be here very soon - end of april-may
    He also said that Memorial day is the biggest appliance sale day for the industry

• moose_2007
    16 years ago

An even bigger one with the same footprint! Darn! I went to the store where I bought mine in January to delay the delivery date as the house isn't ready yet. I visited the floor model while I was there-I love those fridges! Maybe, by the time I'm ready to have it delivered there will be a mix up and I'll get the newer model instead :)

• daven
    16 years ago

Is there any update on this fridge and a fix for the anemic ice maker? I love the fridge except for the poor ice output. Is there a service bulletin/fix available to owners?

• mominthedubc
    16 years ago

Is this cabinet depth by any chance?

• stephand
    16 years ago

I googled Samsung 29 cu' for the umteenth time since the original post of this new one coming. And I finally made a hit!! It's on the Samsung site - it really is coming. Now all my appliance decisions are made. I'm going for most of the new Electrolux line so the slow moving diy kitchen is working out for me after all. Once these appliances are ordered I won't even allow myself to look or read about others. ; )

• olchik
    16 years ago

no, mominthedubc, it's not
    Stephand, thanks for the info!