Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangiamo_gw

capital culinarian - how to tame the heat

mangiamo
12 years ago

Hello everyone. I am new to posting on this forum although I have been reading all your helpful postings for the past year. We are the proud owners of a 48inch capital culinarian range with 8 burners. I am finding that I cannot get the heat low enough. I have read all the postings about clicking on simmer (which I have and will need to have adjusted). My challenge is that I cannot on the lowest setting get my pasta sauce or soup to simmer (instead of bubble) and my two burner cast iron griddles get smoking hot on simmer. Do I need to buy a simmer plate or should I just stack the grates? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Regards from Toronto.

Comments (38)

• tyguy
    12 years ago

If it were me I would "make" a simmer burner by plugging up all the ports except for the inner most ring and change out the gas orifice to the proper size.

Short of that, make sure the top portion of your 2 piece burner is as close to the ignitor as possible. Maybe even port out the one port hole closest to the ignitor a little to ensure enough gas is hitting the ignitor. And then adjust the flame as low as you can before clicking, maybe even have a tech visit if you feel that they may be able to adjust it lower. Do all the above and use a simmer plate and you should be fine.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

Call for a service call. Have them come and adjust the burner for an improved simmer temp.

• billy_g
    12 years ago

Trevor is right. We finally did that with our 48 inch CC but we should have had it done at install.

The lowest setting is still pretty warm but it's a fair tradeoff for the other benefits you get. Get a couple of simmer plates, too.

Billy

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I've been wondering the same thing lately and was tempted to try the DIY adjustment method that's been posted recently. My biggest frustration came Sunday when I was simmering a pot roast. The knob was down to the lowest, but the boil was aggressive. I kept turning it on and off so as not to over boil. I even tried an old school metal simmer plate from DH's grandfather. Didn't help.

The real test will come when I try steel cut oats. I've been afraid to because I know it will be a disaster...

• weissman
    12 years ago

I actually find it kind of ironic that people are having issues with simmers on the CC (and Bluestar). Many on this forum look down on any but those ranges because of their high powered open burners but frankly the simmer that you get on a DCS (or Wolf) dual stacked burner is amazing and for the cooking that I do (which includes lots of stir fries), I'm happy to sacrifice a few thousand BTUs at the high end for the simmer at the low end. I don't need a Ferrari when the speed limit is 65 mph :-)

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Weisman? Where are the bluestar simmer problems? I don't honestly ever recall one issue in the 4 or 5 years being on here. Simmer is NOT an issue on the bs.

• mangiamo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments. I will start with a service call. I was hesitant because I am assuming that the tech coming out probably has never work on a CC. I know it is irrational but I am still in shell shock after some of the situations I bore witness to during this renovation. I will post after the tech comes. For now I will use indirect heat for the double griddles (turn back burner on only) and use an old cast iron spacer that came with my Miele combiset to raise the pots. It fits perfectly on the grates but doesn't really give enough buffer to tame the dragon. I would like to comment that the range is a beautiful unit and the performance of the range top for other cooking (like boiling pasta water) is exceptional. The oven itself has produced some wonderful results. The only thing I wasn't expecting was the length of time the fan stays on after we turn the oven off. Most evenings we eat in the kitchen and the fan doesn't turn off until the end of the meal. Only an issue for people who are sensitive to white noise. The same people who insist on quiet refrigerators.

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

You must be talking about the fan to cool the panel. Mine never runs at all unless I use convection, then it only cycles intermittently, and has never kept running after the convection fan was turned off. I suspect your oven door is not sealing properly. Have them check that out when they come to adjust the burners. Is your range level? That could affect the way the door seals.

• mangiamo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Caddidaddy 55. I never thought of that. Wow that will make a big difference. I find the sound of the fan is distracting when I am trying to enjoy dinner with my family.

• weissman
    12 years ago

tyguy - with regard to the Bluestar, the issue is that there is a special simmer burner - you don't get a low simmer on all the burners like you do on the DCS or Wolf

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Weissman: my bad, I gotcha. :).

It should also be noted tho, that the 15k burners on the BS give very good simmer results as well.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

>because I am assuming that the tech coming out probably has never work on a CC. I know it is irrational but I am still in shell shock after some of the situations I bore witness to during this renovation

Not so irrational. There is a good chance that they have not, but the adjustment is something a first year apprentice could do with ease on any range.

As for some of the situations you have bore witness to during your renovation, I hear ya!!!! I was in the business for a long time and can not believe how many donkeys are out there not having a clue or a care of what they are doing.

• billy_g
    12 years ago

Breezygirl,

You're right, the simmer plates don't do much at all on a CC. Once they get hot almost all the heat transfers to the pot.

This kind works a little better, also available on Amazon.

Billy

Here is a link that might be useful: Flame Tamer

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Mangiamo--My Wolf oven fan runs for quite a while after use also. We don't yet have a kitchen table so we've been eating in the DR, which muffles the sound a bit thankfully. I've never had convection or wall ovens before so I was surprised at how loud they are. Would you please report back on the simmer after your service call?

Billy--Thanks for the link. I saw you post that when you were working to adjust your CC. I thought my plates would do the trick. I'll check out the Flame Tamer a bit more and need to order something small from Amazon anyway so could add to the order with that.

I'm sure my CC isn't as hot on simmer as yours used to be before your fix. I need to see if DH has the right screw driver in the garage for a DIY adjustment attempt. At least I don't have the annoying clicking.

• mangiamo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In follow up to the fan issue I was advised that the cooling fan will run until the area around the latch gets down to 140 degrees. Perhaps I will try leaving the oven door open and have the exhaust fan on to help cool down the area.

I will post about the simmer issue after the tech comes in.

Thanks for all your comments.

• mangiamo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello everyone

The service tech came by yesterday for the third call back. I am now officially the most labour intensive call he has ever had.

Joey from Capital sent out all new spark ignitors. The service tech installed them and the flames were adjusted as best he could. The flames appear to be lower (match head) but I can't report back until next week which is the first chance I will have to use the range again. Multiple problems with the reno have forced us out of the kitchen yet once again!

I did find it disheartening to see my beautiful range all taken apart with wires hanging out and panels rubbing against beautiful stainless. However she is mended and hopefully better for having survived the procedure.

I didn't want anyone to think that I have neglected to report back. I hoping to have good news next week.

MM

• mangiamo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone

It appears that the intensity of the heat is much lower. I was able to simmer both a tomato sauce and a cream sauce to my satisfaction. I don't think I could leave the sauce unattended for hours but I will try in the near future.

I was also able to use a cast iron skillet to make soft scrambled eggs this morning without scorching the eggs.

However... I still do get some clicking on two burners if I try to adjust the dial to the simmer setting mark. The actual intensity is less so I am able to simmer at mark 2 but the clicking still occurs if I try to go lower. One burner clicks continuously regardless of the setting (from lite to simmer). It didn't do this before the adjustment so I anticipate it is either a bad spark ignitor, a bad spark module or just a gremlin with a warped sense of humor. I will have the technician look at the clicking burner when he comes back to adjust the oven door. It was neccessary to remove the small oven door during the service call to replace the kickplate which had to be removed in order to instal the new spark modules. The small oven door is now skewed to one side and doesn't line up with the larger oven door.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the service calls. Some one has requested the original step wise instructions prepared by Capital to adjusting the simmer. I will post on Breezy's thread where the question was asked.

I appreciate everyone's support while trying to get the range to its optimum capabilities.

• billy_g
    11 years ago

Wow, so it was the new spark ignitors that allowed you to tame the heat???

Even with my simmer adjusted down low it was too hot for tomato sauce in a big cast iron pot tonight, so I moved the pot to my modified simmer burner and it was perfect. I could turn it down very low with no bubbles.

Billy

• mangiamo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Billy

It was actually the spark modules. The technician did also try to replace some spark ignitors during the second service call but it did not help with the intensity of the heat. The new spark modules are less sensitive so the technician was able to adjust the flame down before the clicking began.

MM

• alexrander
    11 years ago

Billy, I think your conversion is the way to go, I'm just curious if you would have a good enough simmer with the two inner rings working and only the outer ring plugged. I wish you would get your drill out and try that as an experiment!

I guess I think that would be a more practical burner for other people to use, if the simmer was low enough for you.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Mangiamo - congratulations! It sounds as if we're in about the same range (no pun intended) now. But as if there's still room to go lower, sadly. I do hope Capital will move forward on their plans for this problem. They seem snowed under by just the efforts to get machines out there in the community functioning as they should have from out of the factory. Such a nuisance you have had to go through! But hopefully it's good-enough for now ... I'm hoping with continued gentle pressure we'll get an all-the-way fix soon.

Sorry about being booted from the kitchen again. Hopefully this too shall pass quickly.

• mangiamo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you aliris

I always look forward to your post - like a post card from a friend. Your support has been very much appreciated.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

:) likewise.

-from one squeaky wheel to another....

• billy_g
    11 years ago

Mangiamo, that is great to know and really quite amazing. I wonder if that has been my problem all along. Shame on Capital.

Alexr, I've been interested in that too but I don't think I'll try it. If I did I would get a new burner cap and orifice which would take less time than drilling.

Billy

• mangiamo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello everyone

Technician is coming back tomorrow to fix oven door and burner that continuously clicks.

I have a lamb ragu in an All-Clad 8 quart stock pot. It is an hour in and appears to be simmering (high simmer, small bubbles breaking surface - as technical as I really want to get). I started on another burner but at simmer with no clicking it bubbled a little too intensely for me.

I will let the sauce simmer for several hours and monitor.

I have 8 burners but I think only one or two will be able to give me a lower intensity simmer. I am very happy and relieved to have achieved a simmer on these burners. It will allow me to use my range much more effectively for the way I cook.

Thank you to Capital for sending out all the new modules and to my service technician who has spent hours in order to achieve this for me.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

That's great news, Mangiamo! Makes me even more suspicious of my service tech who said I didn't need to install the spark modules sent specifically for this reason.

Hope your oven door gets restored to perfect placement. Enjoy the lamb ragu!

• mangiamo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Breezy

I am so happy to hear from you. I hope all is well (aside from the interaction with your service technician).

I hope you are able to achieve an acceptable simmer soon. It definitely is possible with some patience and effort.

MM

• shabmerch
    10 years ago

Hello Mangiamo,

Can you advise me on how the fan situation was resolved for you? We just used our CC for the first time tonight, and the noise of the fan running after the oven was turned off, whilst we were having our meal was awful! (it was not the convection fan, but some other fan). We have an external blower, which is meaningless, given the very loud oven fan. How did the situation get resolved for you?

Thanks so much for your time,

• mangiamo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Shabmerch

I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply. I don't log in as often during the summer. I was told my fan issue is a normal function of the oven to cool down the controls. I have tried leaving the oven door ajar and running the convection fan to dissipate some of the heat. I also turn on the hood to high. I personally find it distracting because I am very sensitive to white noise. My husband and children find it less so. I'm sorry I don't have better news. If you discover a way to hasten the process please share!

Regard M

• Jerry-mac
    10 years ago

We just received our 48" culinarian a month ago. It comes with a 8" simmer burner, but I don't see the need for it. Any burner on simmer does a perfect simmer. I accidentally left a pan with a couple tbs of butter on the burner that I thought was off, but was actually on simmer. After about ten minutes, the butter had melted but not browned. So I would tell anyone with simmer problems to have the burners adjusted b/c the simmer works great.

• pumpkinhouse
    9 years ago

Anyone else with a recently purchased Capital that can comment on simmering? I'm wondering if they've addressed the issue since these older posts.

• Raymond Ciervo
    6 years ago

Okay, here's what you'll need to do it. A flathead screw driver the size used to put screws in eyeglasses - so really small. If you know someone who takes computers apart or works on guns, borrow it.

Turn the burner on to simmer. Pull the nobs off and the two brass rods in the middle where the nobs go on have a slit in them. You have to stick the screwdriver in and feel the flat head connect in the slit. Now you can turn the screwdriver counter clock wise and see the burner go up. Turn it clockwise and it will continue going down until it begins clicking. Now, turn it back so the clicking stops. This is your lowest simmer setting you can get.

I called the Eurostoves where I bought mine to find out how to adjust this. Trevor explained this in five minutes. My simmer temp was about 208 degrees. It's about 140 now. Problem solved.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    6 years ago

Excellent news Ray, happy the fix worked out .........

• aliris19
    6 years ago

Hey yall - an update on this. It's been 6+ years now I think. And I'd probably buy the CC again; I do like it alot, especially the 6-burner acreage. But my burners *still* click. The burners do get really low now, and the intermediate range is hard to peg, but that's not probably their fault, just takes more concentration than I'm usually willing to give. So I get a lot of scorching and non-cooking (kids kinda force this lifestyle).

Capital tries hard. But ... a while ago now, about a year back, I was still having clicks. I can't even remember the order of complaints but eventually the engineer at the factory was in touch; I can't remember whether I had to go through Trevor, possibly not as I have his direct contact info. They said they'd come out and fix the problem 'one more time then I was on my own'. And they were going to come out and batten down those screw-hatches, set the thing in the right place and locktite it there.

It was all a little bit embarrassing and uncomfortable as the implication was I was incapable of doing and setting this simple fix by myself. I swallowed my pride because (a) they're obviously trying hard and are truly nice folks IMHO, and (b) they've given me a lot of attention though it's true I've had to be kinda squeaky about it. And (c) who knows, maybe I did f- this up .... I remember now, the set screw might have broken. I'm actually not at all heavy-handed about fixing stuff, and am not terrible at it either, but -- I couldn't in good conscience argue I was undeniably innocent. And they were giving me more free assistance.

They came, locked down the "right" adjustment, and the burners commences to click just hours after the guys left. Not all the burners, not reproducibly, but one or another will all the time at some point very, very regularly, like every other day or more, now. Still. I've gotten used to it. Even though, as Trevor says, this is the most irritating noise known to man.

In life's battles I concede this one. I'd probably buy the range again because I probably couldn't afford another this good. I probably couldn't have afforded this one, lol! And I do love what it does. I have other complaints, they don't cross a bar of wouldn't-recommend: the cavity of my non-self-cleaning variety has too few rack slots. It is not, however, as I had feared, difficult to glide the racks in adequately-enough without the rollers of the higher-end model. It also remains not the evenest of bakers despite their tests that show otherwise -- Capital's come out with thermometers to test it. But my cakes stillhow otherwise. I've adopted workarounds. At 6 burners, the beast is big and that means the oven cavity is cavernous; you have to preheat a lot. I use the convection to preheat and that helps.

The buzz in my oven is reproducible, but also avoidable. It is caused by racks in not exactly the correct place. And weirdly, exclusively when there's something heavy, not light, on the racks. I totally don't understand that but it is what it is. I'm just careful about positioning the rack and it's not a problem.

Capital was clear that in coming out and readjusting the simmer and fixing it in place one last time they were done. They didn't charge me for this and the quid pro quo is 'this range is old, we want to move on'. FBOW I've accepted that. But it is the case that the clicking problem remains. It's not constant, it just likes to reassert itself just when you've relaxed .... :)

We should all have such problems. I do, still, overall, love my range (CC). And I love the guys who made it too. It's just not a perfect product.

• billy_g
    6 years ago

I've had mine about the same length of time and I would buy it again in a heartbeat! I have a 48 inch cooktop, six burners with a grill. Stir fry in a flash!

Billy

• aliris19
    6 years ago

Hi billy-g! I remember loving pictures of what you were cooking. I've not really been on here in ages and it's rather thrilling to see so many online names I recognize. I am glad this has worked so well for you, too - such an evidently great chef.

• billy_g
    6 years ago

Thanks so much - I remember you as well! It is so much fun to cook on the CC!

Cheers,

Billy