Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redoanddecorate

Wolf, Thermador, or Gaggenau?

redoanddecorate
12 years ago

So I am planning a big renovation for a lake home we purchased recently. It is very old and we are trying to preserve its character while getting the amenities we want. We are trying to decide between Wolf, Thermador, and Gaggenau?

In our current "city" house we have a Wolf open burner rangetop, Wolf wall ovens, Wolf warming drawer, Wolf in counter steamer, Asko dishwashers, Sub-Zero Refrigeration(integrated), Sub-Zero wine. We did not decide on the appliances, we bought a house that was being constructed and took what the builder planned.

We would like:

1) All gas 48 inch range with griddle: Wolf or Thermador?

2) Electric wall oven: Wolf, Thermador, or Gaggenau?

3) Steam Oven: Wolf, Thermador, or Gaggenau?

4) Warming Drawer: Wolf, Thermador, or Gaggenau?

For 2,3, & 4 we would like to decide on one brand for a cohesive stack.

5) Sub-Zero integrated refrigeration, the Sub-Zero Pro 48, or BI-36UG(built in with glass door, 36 inch)?

6) In counter steamer and fryer: Wolf or Gaggenau? (do you think an in counter steamer is necessary since we will get a steam oven?)

7) We will definitely go with Asko dishwashers since we love the two we have in our "city" house.

8) Also what about a small induction cooktop? Is it worth the extra cost and counter space?

Where our lake house is most renovated and new houses have Wolf/Sub-Zero kitchens, and the lake is pretty removed so we are afraid of going with Thermador or Gaggenau(because of repairs)?

Comments (12)

• clarygrace
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'll chime in on the ovens -- gaggenau for sure, they are the best ovens out there!

For dishwashers have you thought of Miele?

• antsss
    12 years ago

1. Wolf. you should talk to people with the griddles. They are not easy to keep clean. 2 xtra burners and a cast iron griddle from lodge, all-clad ect.. is more versatile but not as fun. If you use a griddle every weekend or several times a week - the built in is a winner.

2.Wolf or Gaggenau - the T'dor is too much of a crapshoot for reliability.

3. Gaggenau is the orig., T'dor is a dumbed down version, and the Wolf is very new to the game.

4. I've personally liked T'dor best , but the Gaggenau and WOlf are both nice. Wolf can sometimes be an install challenge, especially with a deco panel.

5. Both are "statement" fridges. Get the one that makes you happiest.

6.Redundant with oven.

8. Depends on your pocketbook, countertop real estate and your need/want for very large pots of liquid to be boiled quickly.

• wekick
    12 years ago

One issue I had with the SZ pro48 was that there is a storage drawer with a perforated bottom above the icemaker. It seemed like crud might drop into the ice. Maybe they have fixed this. Also I did not like the icemaker on the bottom. Both were deal killers for me.

• cblanke4
    12 years ago

I see you have the Wolf counter steamer in your "city house". We are considering putting this in our new home. How do you like it? I did consider the steam oven but with the other ovens (Wolf convection wall oven and microwave/convection) Thought the counter steamer brought a lot of flexibility to the plan. Would love to have your feedback on this.

• Quinn_Appl
    12 years ago

How often do you cook and what type of cooking do you enjoy the most? Sauces, baking, etc.? And Dee touched on it, but why is Miele not in the conversation?

• fly-weight
    12 years ago

I have had a gagg cook top with wok burner for 14 years. Building again and we are buying another gagg cooktop.. another sub zero too!

• decolisa
    12 years ago

Wall oven: Gaggenau. Clean lines, modern look, reliable, accurate.
    Steam oven: Gaggenau. If you're putting the two ovens near each other, I think they should be the same look or same brand. Gagg has a longer track record in the steam oven realm, the plumbed line makes it much more easy to use.

Integrated refrigeration: I'd take the larger SZ-Pro. The trouble with glass doors is that you lose some storage, so I'd definitely take the larger size.

In counter steamer and fryer: Don't do it. You'll lose storage space, and unless you tons of frying it doesn't seem worthwhile for the limited times you make French fries...tee, hee. If you have a steam oven, I don't think you need a steamer. A steam oven is also more versatile since you can adjust it as a regular oven if you get a Gaag (maybe others too) the value.

Induction cook top: I don't think it is worth the cost, especially if you already have 48" of cook top.

• Spring1
    11 years ago

Hey everyone who loves gaggenau, can you tell me what you love about the gaggenau wall ovens? I've been torn between wolf and Miele wall ovens and have now added gaggenau to my possible choices.

I'm Leary of the Miele because I've heard so many issues of the temperature not being accurate. However, it has the master chef which I think I'd use tons.

The wolf is the one I like the best look wise and wolf has a great reputation, however, I've just recently spoken with someone who said she wouldn't buy a wolf again because f temperature issues and she would actually not go with one of these high name brands because of how expensive they are.

The gaggenau seems to have a really good reputation. Does anyone know what the price is compared to wolf or Miele? Does it have any features that the wolf or Miele doesn't? What about temperature issues? I keep coming back to gaggenau because of the plumbed steam oven. The more I see of the steam oven, the more I can see myself using it, from any of the brands!

Thanks for any advice in advance!

• hjscm
    11 years ago

sorry to hijack but i am looking for almost same thing. i really like the look of the wolf oven and steam next to each other. the wolf steam seems much bigger than others. i know Gag is plumbed but seems small. i have mile ovens and steam in my other house and have had no problems in 10 years. except steam will mildew within hours if not completely dry.

• panzer1
    11 years ago

Hey hjscm, Have you made any decisions? Are you looking at the E or L series for the Wolf? I think the Gaggenau 30" is bigger than the Wolf Steam Oven, there isn't an interior picture of it on the website though, so I don't know for sure what the interior space looks like. That was one of the deciding factors for me to choose the wolf steam over the Miele, the exterior water reservoir made the interior that much bigger (that and I liked that the reservoir was outside in case I needed to add more water).

I still have to price out the Gaggenau ovens though, that will play a factor in my final decision!

• technodweeb
    11 years ago

Be very, very careful if you are considering a Thermador.

I have a Thermador 36" free standing Gas range/oven, 4 burners and center griddle. Now I'm posting where I can to warn people - just like others have said.

Thermador is a crap shoot. I had narrowed down to Wolf, Viking or Thermador.

The wolf griddle was a toughy for me, given it was permenant mount and looked difficult to clean. All other bells and whistles were about the same - so opted for Thermador with the lines and beauty.

Now, looking at yet another $700.00 circuit board, I'm beyond angry.

Into my 5K range for 7K now, and still hoping I can get it fixed correctly.

The service is horrendous, and locating parts is just as bad. The worst part is, all the reviews are out there warning people about the T'dor brand, and I didn't do my own research.

Another angering factor, repair person told me that Wolf and Viking parts are readily available, at a fraction of the costs. He told me Viking parts are even available at Sears. (!!!!!)

If you choose Thermador, you are rolling the dice. As long as you are aware of that going in. . . .

I didn't do my research first, and now I regret it beyond words. . . . .