Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hellion50

Anyone have a Micro/convection oven?

Hellion
11 years ago

We are in the process of a kitchen remodel of sorts. It was not planned, we had a dishwasher leak. I have been without a kitchen for over a month now....insurance problems. Anyway...wondering if anyone has a micro/convection oven and if you like it. What brand and what to steer clear of . It would be over the range.

Comments (7)

• philwojo99
    11 years ago

I have a Wolf micro/convection, but it is not an "over-the-range" model, it is a built in though.

We have only had it for a few months and I have been on the road for work all this past month so don't have a lot of time with it.

So far I like it and like the ability to have the extra oven if I need or want it.

I have to say the Wolf model is pricey, but it matches the other Wolf items we have as well.

I can't really say anything about other brands as this was the only one we looked at. The non convection micro from Wolf was only $100 cheaper so it was almost a no-brainer to spend the extra $100 to get it for us.

Phil

• teachmkt
    11 years ago

Sharp 930 which we bought for our kitchen renovation because we'd plan to build it in anyway. I belive the Wolf and Viking may be rebadged Sharps (not many brands actually make their own micro/conved products). A few downsides but after 8 years still running strong and very useful. One possible issue: It's large enough that it can take up a lot of real estate on a counter.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

I've had the Sharp and currently have the GE countertop units. I much prefer the Sharp. For OTR, I would chose the Advantium 240v. The 120v model is better than a sharp stick in the eye, but the 240v is much more flexible.

• hill4
    11 years ago

I have a 30" Jenn-Air microwave/convection - it is a wall oven, but I believe there is an over the range model. It was installed in May and we have used it daily since.

What to do I love about it?
    As there are usually only two of us, we use it in convection mode instead of using our regular 30" oven, which has a much larger volume. It heats up quickly, is efficient, and cooks beautifully. It has a speed cook function too, which combines microwaves with convection. I have to say I have only used that function once, but it did work well and dinner was ready in a fraction of the usual time. So... I LOVE having the small convection and I cant live without a microwave so in that respect this product is perfect for me.

What didnt live up to expectations?
    Cleaning! Microwave/convection combos are not selfcleaning and you cant use oven cleaner on stainless steel, so what to do? This wasnt a problem until I used the broil function and spattered the stainless steel interior with burnt on oil. It is extremely difficult to clean off. Certainly the advised procedures (steaming water, vinegar, mild detergent) didnt touch it. I dont think that this problem is unique to this brand of oven - burnt oil and grease makes a mess, even on stainless steel. IF I ever get it clean, I will not be cooking anything messy in there again. It is not really an issue as I have a selfcleaning oven for broiling and roasting - but it is something to consider when deciding whether a microwave/convection is the right choice for you.

• Hellion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all!

• cocaty
    11 years ago

Question about mine. I have the Bosch. Works well on convection but it still rotates in convection mode so capacity is not great. I found a round pizza pan that fits which is what I normally use. Have you all run into a problem getting things to fit?

Here's the question I've never found the answer to and what stops me from using it as often. How soon after you stop using it as convection can you use the microwave function? Do you have to wait til it cools?

• djlandkpl
    11 years ago

cocaty, I have Wolf combo. You can use the microwave immediately. Just remember that everything in the cabinet will be hot when putting in / taking out your food.