http://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Ranges/Electric-Range/FFES3005LW/
with

http://www.us-appliance.com/nit3065uc.html
(Dimensions of 31'' x 21 1/4'')

My current Granite Cutout is:
Width of 20.5" X 29.7 Length
*Not a Square - the front is opened

http://site.us-appliance.com/pdfs/NITINSTALL.pdf

Installation guide with this induction cooktop says that the dimensions I need is WIDTH OF 19 7/8 - 20" and LENGTH of 28 3/4 - 28 7/8".

Questions:
1. Considering that the installation guide states that the induction cooktop glass will NOT sit on the granite countertop (the weight is supported by 4 brackets below that is drilled to the cabinetry/granite), can I still use this cooktop with the given granite cutout? The granite cutout is currently ~ 1 inches > MAX recommended on length and 0.5" > MAX recommended width. It doesn't seem like an issue considering the dimensions of the glass (overall dimensions specified above) covers the hole and the weight is being held by the brackets?

Because I am replacing a slide-in Stove, I do not have a front granite. It says that I should have 2-1/4" of granite at the front. What is the purpose and again I would ask is it necessary or is it purely for looks/aesthetic reasons? Weight is being supported, again. Will it look crappy if there isn't granite in the front? I would venture to guess a lot of people have replaced their slide-in electric stoves with cooktops such as this, what are your experiences?

3. To mount the 4 brackets (shown in the installation guide), it seems that I would have to drill and tap the brackets into the granite or supporting frames. I looked and there isn't anything currently there, just granite, so I was wondering, is it difficult for me to drill (or tap?) holes into granite?

Thank you to any one that can help assist or have experience.

Comments (10)

• User
    10 years ago

While some things can be kludged successfully, this isn't one of them. Either get a slide in induction range, or replace the countertops. What are you planning to do for a wall oven in the layout? There are height restrictions that make pairing an induction top with an under counter wall oven tricky. It will require some cabinetry material from your maker and some alteration of the existing cabinetry to do this IF you get brands that are compatible. And then they can't both share the same electrical circuit. You'll need a new dedicated circuit from the panel.

Get the slide in induction and avoid the kludge.

• jebediah11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response.

I plan to leave the space beneath empty and not have an oven at all. Just space for pots/pans.

I do not want a slight in induction as I do not use the oven? I wanted to keep it simple and only get the cooktop?

I know it is simpler to do what you said but doing whatever I said, I guess is it possible (even though not recommended)? i.e. not retouching the granite and having an open front and nothing below?

• jebediah11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"they can't both share the same electrical circuit"

Could you expand on this? Currently, there is a 40Amp circuit breaker and the new cooktop requires 40 amps as well. So I don't think I would need any changes assuming I don't add another oven beneath?

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

"Considering that the installation guide states that the induction cooktop glass will NOT sit on the granite countertop (the weight is supported by 4 brackets below that is drilled to the cabinetry/granite)"

No, the installation guide you referenced does NOT say that. The weight of the cooktop DOES rest on the countertop. The four brackets are just there to hold the unit in place and not mover around.

"To mount the 4 brackets (shown in the installation guide), it seems that I would have to drill and tap the brackets into the granite "

No. These brackets clamp the unit to the countertop. The long screw pushes against the bottom of the granite. It does not need to penetrate.

"What is the purpose (of the granite in the front) and again I would ask is it necessary or is it purely for looks/aesthetic reasons? Weight is being supported, again. Will it look crappy if there isn't granite in the front?"

You didn't say what is going underneath. My first thought was that you were literally leaving a big hole. I'm guessing now that you are going to install a cabinet of some sort. Without that 2"-3" of granite counter in the front, the top of the cabinet will be exposed, as well as the front of the induction unit where the vents are. Also that front edge of glass would be unsupported and prone to breakage.

I think anyone who does this gets new countertops for that section.

• jebediah11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Weedmeister, you have been most helpful. You are right on all counts. Seems like the glass/weight does rest on the countertop. Also, I did not realize the function of the brackets so thank you for pointing that out and the fact that it does not penetrate the granite (bolts).

Yes, I was going to just cover the bottom with some cabinetry or panels.

"the top of the cabinet will be exposed, as well as the front of the induction unit where the vents are." I was going to somehow cover it up with panels, I guess.

"Also that front edge of glass would be unsupported and prone to breakage." ...yeah.....this does it for me now. I guess I may not go this route. It sucks because I do not want to buy an oven not only because it clunks up the kitchen but I do not use it at all (not worried about resale value) and it is more expensive.

"I think anyone who does this gets new countertops for that section." That helps to know what everyone else does.

......Now, I have no idea what to do.....:( I just dont want an oven. I want it slick and clean and only necessary things.....but it sounds like getting the granite done is expensive? Do you have any comments on this? Any ballpark numbers?

Thanks!!!!

• dodge59
    10 years ago

I had to redo my granite, (Arandis Gold), when I got rid of a
    "POJ" Caldera 36" semi circle (Non induction) smooth glass cooktop,

Gary

• dodge59
    10 years ago

I found a granite "remnant" about a quarter of a slab at a local granite supplier, think it cost me about $50, (Arandis Gold).

I then hired a contractor to cut and fit the granite to cover the 36" simi circle hole that the Caldera formerly resided in.

He cut it to fit our new Electrolux Induction cooktop.
    The granite supports the new cooktop.
    He charged $1000.00 to do the work

We are Very Happy with it, not only the granite but Luv Luv Luv the Induction cooktop.

Gary

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

I would suggest putting a drawer cabinet below. Two or 3 deep drawers would store your pots and utensils.

I would then look for a piece of granite to deal with the front, or something similar to the picture above.

• jebediah11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow thank s Gary and weedmeister...

Yeah, sounds like a little over my budget on what I want to spend at the moment.......unless I can just put it a false front made a wooden panel and finished to look nice....

I don;t know..... :(

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

Not sure how you could support it, but I did see once where someone created an apron front appearance with some material (perhaps black soapstone?) embedded in the front of a cabinet to fill in the front hole caused by removing a slide in range. Perhaps you could get someone to wrap stainless around an appropriate thickness piece of wood. It could be shaped to support the front ledge of the cooktop. If it is exactly the same length as the induction cooktop it might look passable if you are not worried about retail. Something like the linked picture (scroll down) obviously without the gas and the knobs.

That said, the price of a cabinet and the fix to make all this work may well cost the same as an induction range. You can always use the ovens on the induction range for pot and pan storage.

Here is a link that might be useful: idea of apron front type cover.