Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Hood--what size insert for capture area?

9 years ago

Google hasn't led me to any threads that directly answer this (sorry if I've missed any), so I'll try to explain what I mean.

We have a vintage O'Keefe & Merritt range, 39" wide, 26" deep. Architect is proposing a wooden hood 42" x 20" with an insert. Based on what I've learned here, the capture area needs to be deeper but is close to OK in width (i.e. wider than stove), and height above stovetop is also highly relevant in terms of capturing the effluent from pots and pans.

My question though is what size insert goes into such a box? The appliance store is quoting a Best CP55IQ369SB, which is 34 3/8" x 19 1/4". Is a 35" insert right for a 42" hood box? CAN it be OK if mounted high and a stainless lining directs the effluent towards the baffles? Should I be looking at a bigger insert? In short, what are the factors to consider in sizing an insert in a custom box?

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Comments (4)

• kaseki
    9 years ago

It is the insert's interior aperture, just like it is a hood's interior aperture when a complete hood is acquired, that needs to overlap the rising effluent cones from the pan bases on the burners/hobs. Note that I wrote pan bases and not stove size as it is the hot pan bases that are emitting the higher velocity effluent that then expands as it rises. Choose an insert that meets the size requirements and then plan a wooden hood to envelope the insert.

In my view, the hood should closely fit the insert, or else the gaps become grease and dust traps. When other considerations or parts limitations lead to gaps, these should be closed off, perhaps using stainless steel plate.

If a non-standard insert is necessary, manufacturer's of tailor-made hoods can also make tailor-made inserts; they just leave off the decorative outer skin.

We can discuss size vs. height vs. cfm but a review of the many hood threads on this forum will probably provide enough insight to narrow the scope of questions that might be asked.

kas

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kas, I have indeed read (and I think mostly understood) the many threads on the capture area/height/cfm choreography, and you've hit the nub of my question about how the size of an insert should be considered within the box.

Since the actual baffle area in a stand-alone hood is smaller than the face of the hood, I'm curious if a 35" insert in a 42" box (with the gap closed) is essentially the same as a 42" stand-alone hood. I'm sure the size of the actual 'sucking area' (vs. the trim around it) is relevant, but I'm not sure how much so.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Look for a bigger insert, and do a larger hood.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

"... I'm curious if a 35" insert in a 42" box (with the gap closed) is essentially the same as a 42" stand-alone hood ..."

I think this depends on the manufacturer. The aperture of my Wolf hood is about three inches narrower than the outside dimension at the bottom, and 4 inches narrower relative to the hood's maximum dimension. (The shape bows out a bit.)

Hence, for equivalence, your insert would have to be at least 38 inches in aperture. Note that overall size of an insert may include any lip at the bottom intended to protect the wood from heat. Be sure that you understand the exact dimensions of the the insert before assuming that a particular cabinet shape will work.

kas