Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rinse agent in dishwasher safe for health?

Posted by lazycook (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 7, 10 at 2:24

I've been using a rinse agent in my Bosch dishwasher to aid in the drying. I notice when I pour water into a glass the water bubbles. I think it is the rinse agent that cause the bubbles. If I rinse the glass before pouring water in it the bubbles do not appear. I don't like the idea that I may be ingesting the rinse agent. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rinse agent in dishwasher safe for health?

You may be using too much rinse aid. Your DW should have a way to turn it down a little. I don't think it's harmful, but I wouldn't want to drink it either.

o

Rinse aid is dispensed into the final rinse, so it stands to reason that there'll be some slight residue of it left on the dishes. Rinse aid is not a new product, it has been on the market since the 1960s, if not even earlier. I've read of people expressing individual concern but I don't recall any specific testing reports that confirm it's hazardous unless used improperly or ingested directly in quantity. The typical dose released into a dishwasher is very small. The bottle of JetDry that I have warns of possible eye or skin irritation ... but a bar of soap can do that. I imagine pouring lemonade into one's eyes wouldn't feel very nice, but people drink it!

o

Rinse aid is a surfactant--it is soap.

A little won't hurt you, but it shouldn't be enough to bubble. I won't use the stuff because I can taste it, but I've never seen it bubble. It sounds to me like something isn't working right on your DW or you have extreme water (too soft or something).

o

I just got a new dishwasher, and I notice the same thing as lazycook. I don't like the idea that my water bubbles, so I rinse first. I am not going to refill the rinse agent well after it's empty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here