Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marvel 48" Side-by-Side Built-In Refrigerator

Posted by anymac (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 1:57

Hi guys,

We are looking at changing our current french door fridge to a built in one. I was looking at subzero, miele and came across Aga/Marvel. Does anyone currently have Model: M48SS-WS and could give me some advice.

I like the price better than the other 2 options but haven't found many reviews. Thank in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marvel 48" Side-by-Side Built-In Refrigerator

This is just a marketing ploy by Marvel.

You are better off in the long run sticking with Sub-Zero - who actually make their built in fridges

- or -

if you want to save some dosh and not take on too much risk - the Thermador & Jenn Air 48" are solid choices.

o

I'm not sure if this is still relevant to you, as it's been 6 months since the original post.

I just got the Marvel M42SS-WS about 3 weeks ago. I was also somewhat hesitant as there was little info on the web about Marvel full-size fridges.

We live in Grand Rapids, MI, and the Marvel factory is in Greenville, MI about an hour away. We were able to buy the fridge at wholesale through a friend. Since no local showrooms had full-size Marvel refrigerators on display, we drove out to the AGA/Marvel factory to see one in person. We were happy with the look and feel, so we ordered one.

Impressions:

Exterior looks: A
Looks almost identical to Sub-Zero bi-42s model. (Click on image and it should reformat to vertical.)

Interior looks: B
All-metal, utilitarian shelves and door shelves. More industrial looking than most others. Door shelves won't accommodate gallon jugs, no built-in dairy/butter bins.

Function: B+
We've only had it for 3 weeks, so I can't speak to reliability. I also haven't owned a Sub-Zero, so I can only compare to older non-built-in fridges. Motor seems to run a lot. Since the refrigeration module is at the top it is noisier than our previous refrigerator. Cabinet above fridge is quite warm from the motor running. Ice maker works fine.

In short, if the prices were exactly the same, I'd probably go with the Sub-Zero. Since we got a deal (almost exactly half of the cost of Sub-Zero) I'm delighted with it.

If you have any any questions, I'll be happy to give honest answers.

o

Thanks for posting - I'm very interested in the 42" version of this.

o

That's the 42" version. Here's what it looks like when open.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here