Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anymacc

Marvel 48" Side-by-Side Built-In Refrigerator

anymacc
10 years ago

Hi guys,

We are looking at changing our current french door fridge to a built in one. I was looking at subzero, miele and came across Aga/Marvel. Does anyone currently have Model: M48SS-WS and could give me some advice.

I like the price better than the other 2 options but haven't found many reviews. Thank in advance.

Comments (32)

• xedos
    10 years ago

This is just a marketing ploy by Marvel.

You are better off in the long run sticking with Sub-Zero - who actually make their built in fridges

- or -

if you want to save some dosh and not take on too much risk - the Thermador & Jenn Air 48" are solid choices.

• Trotsky
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if this is still relevant to you, as it's been 6 months since the original post.

I just got the Marvel M42SS-WS about 3 weeks ago. I was also somewhat hesitant as there was little info on the web about Marvel full-size fridges.

We live in Grand Rapids, MI, and the Marvel factory is in Greenville, MI about an hour away. We were able to buy the fridge at wholesale through a friend. Since no local showrooms had full-size Marvel refrigerators on display, we drove out to the AGA/Marvel factory to see one in person. We were happy with the look and feel, so we ordered one.

Impressions:

Exterior looks: A
    Looks almost identical to Sub-Zero bi-42s model. (Click on image and it should reformat to vertical.)

Interior looks: B
    All-metal, utilitarian shelves and door shelves. More industrial looking than most others. Door shelves won't accommodate gallon jugs, no built-in dairy/butter bins.

Function: B+
    We've only had it for 3 weeks, so I can't speak to reliability. I also haven't owned a Sub-Zero, so I can only compare to older non-built-in fridges. Motor seems to run a lot. Since the refrigeration module is at the top it is noisier than our previous refrigerator. Cabinet above fridge is quite warm from the motor running. Ice maker works fine.

In short, if the prices were exactly the same, I'd probably go with the Sub-Zero. Since we got a deal (almost exactly half of the cost of Sub-Zero) I'm delighted with it.

If you have any any questions, I'll be happy to give honest answers.

• chazas
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting - I'm very interested in the 42" version of this.

• Trotsky
    9 years ago

That's the 42" version. Here's what it looks like when open.

• lisanoon
    9 years ago

Hi any comment on the noise? Dealer just tried to talk me out of buying one - said they won't install one on the showroom floor because people complain about how loud it is !!!

thanks

• mjs133
    8 years ago

Trotsky, how are things going with the Marvel? I really love the look of refrigerator. One salesperson I spoke to recommends it over the KitchenAid and another is trying to talk me out of it. Would really appreciate any input!

• jaydoubleyou22
    8 years ago

I'm considering the Marvel M48SS-WS and am also interested in learning more. I haven't been able to find any videos or reviews online, except for the few on this forum. I'm interested to know about the noise level as well as how the hinge opens (for clearance purposes). Any additional photos, links to videos or reviews or any other insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• PRO
    nicknacker
    8 years ago

Just purchased the 48" built in less than a month ago. Runs almost non stop and is loud. Had service guy put in a new thermostat but still runs almost non stop. Now marvel is telling me this is normal. It's an energy hog. Really want to love it because it has great space and looks great. Still trying to get issue resolved or return it.

• petertag
    8 years ago

Hi, any additional or updated comments, how is it working now. Liking it more or less now.

Thanks

• jaydoubleyou22
    8 years ago

I bought the refrigerator but I'm just starting the demo process, so I'm at least a month out. I will post an update once it is installed. I've seen a lot of comments about how loud it is, so I'm anxious to get it up and running.

• petertag
    8 years ago

Jay, thanks. Keep me posted. We are thinking about the Marvel refrigerator. It looks so nice and lots of space. The comments of noise and energy consumption will be of interest to us. Look forward to your next posting. Good luck with things.

• PRO
    nicknacker
    8 years ago

We had a new refrigerator module installed last week. Still running over 90% of the time and still loud.

• petertag
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update. Appreciated.

• toughsell
    8 years ago

We have had our Marvel for about 3 weeks and it seems to run nonstop and it is loud. It was less than some other brands but sitting in a quiet house and only hearing the refrigerator running is very annoying. There is also a leak in the freezer that has a slow drip and we cannot get a service person out even though we keep calling Marvel. I guess not everyone will work on a Marvel>>>

• jaydoubleyou22
    8 years ago

I still haven't had any trouble with mine. But I'm just one person. I will post an update if/when I run into any problems.

• PRO
    Erica Pigula Interior Design
    8 years ago

Thanks for the updates JW! Very nice to come across your post as I researched Marvel... I'm glad to hear the noise issues are not happening to you.

• kimcomeau0
    8 years ago

Hello....I have been looking everywhere to try to find a 48 inch fridge that is of high quality , large capacity , and within my price range .. I am really holding up the ordering of my cabinets at this point. I came across this Marvel one today which does fit the bill but was wondering if anyone can comment on efficiency as far as electricity and long term satisfaction. Much appreciated !

• jaydoubleyou22
    8 years ago

I haven't had the Marvel 48" for very long, so others can probably help you more. I don't know anything about the energy efficiency, but can give you my general view on the refrigerator.

The cubic ft of this refrigerator is the largest (by far) I've seen in a 48" side-by-side.

Mine isn't that loud (as some have said). Maybe a bit louder than it was out of the box, but still not louder than I would have expected from a refrigerator that size.

The only thing I've noticed is that when the door opens fully it makes a click sound after a certain point. It feels completely sturdy. Not like it's going to break. I think it's just the weight transfer and the type of hinge that causes the click once it opens past 90 degrees.

For the price, I am happy with the refrigerator. Note: I got a wholesale price, so it was about half the price of the comparable Sub Zero. If I were within $2-3K of a Sub Zero I probably would go with the better brand / reputation, dual compressor, etc.

Hope this helps. Don't make your decision just based on my comment though. If you scroll around the forum you will see that others have had different experiences.

• kimcomeau0
    8 years ago

Thank you so much! Really appreciate it ... I will need to rethink my budget... After reading all the posts I am not convinced . Since I am not able to get the Marvel at wholesale.

thank you!

• User
    8 years ago

My experience with a Marvel wine refrigerator is poor. The first unit lasted a month. The repair lasted 6 months and after many phone calls the replaced the unit. It lasted a year. Just long enough to go out of warranty. Customer service says "you are on your own". Repeated phone messages to managers and no return call. Can only leave voice messages. Run fast from this company

• chazas
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My advice to anyone looking for a 42" or 48" built in is to try to get access to the Whirlpool Inside Pass discount program - if you work for a big company that has discount programs offered though HR as part of your benefits, you likely have it. Big discounts on Whirlpool family products (including Kitchenaid, but not JennAir), and they always have 10% extra sale codes available. For me, the Kitchenaid 48" was less than $7000 after the discount last year. I have moved from that house, but loved the fridge - better than the SubZero we had in our house before.

• kimcomeau0
    8 years ago

Wow ! Thanks I will check it out !

Much appreciated since I am leaning toward a Kitchen Aid because Sub zero is not within price range right now

• kimcomeau0
    8 years ago

Chazas

Cant thank you enough! I was able to save 2000$$$ . I am so happy ! Know the decision is final! Kitchen Aid 48 inch is 1/2 price of SZ almost using this site! Many thanks for sharing secrets!

• chazas
    8 years ago

Glad I could help. :-)

• kimcomeau0
    8 years ago

Just ordered it ! With delivery and set up and tax and 7 yr warranty on parts and service it was 6100! I am so excited you have made my week!! I can get The look I have always wanted for just 2,000 over budget !!!

many many thanks!

• toughsell
    8 years ago

We replaced our Marvel and I love not having that loud motor going all the time. We now have a kitchen aid.

• Trotsky K
    7 years ago

Just giving an update (Trotsky):

2 years out from installation the fridge is running fine. Some drips from the moulding between the doors during times of high humidity. No other issues. Running noise is the same. Still happy with the purchase. Would buy again.

• jaydoubleyou22
    7 years ago

On my end, I'm still happy with the purchase (especially in light of the cost savings), but I have experienced a few issues.

1. The seal (at the base of the freezer where ice tends to build up) has cracked slightly, so I have experienced a minor drip as well. But that is nothing that a little replacement putty can't fix.

2. The hinge on the refrigerator makes a click sound once you get past a certain point. It hasn't bothered me enough to call Marvel though.

3. I guess the last thing is the noise. The refrigerator was pretty quite the first several months... certainly quieter than the posts on Houzz make it out to be. But in the past few months it has started to get a little bit louder. It's not loud enough to be a nuisance when you're having a conversation in the kitchen, but it's a bit louder than it was out of the box.

At the price I paid, I would also buy again. But if price were no object, I would probably go for one of the luxury brand names.

• Brian Williamson
    7 years ago

I've had a Northland 48SSWP (precursor of AGA/Marvel) since 2010. As I write this, I yet again have the contents of my freezer packed in two ice chests with 70lbs of dry ice. This also happened in 2013, so this is my second time through... The first time they replaced the compressor unit (a ~$2000 part) under warranty. I am now out of warranty and out of luck...
    Yeah, it's noisy and runs all the time too.

I would not recommend buying this brand.

• jaydoubleyou22
    7 years ago
    Had the refrigerator serviced under warranty and the problem with hinge is not solved and the refrigerator actually got louder. After all of those positive posts early on, I am coming to the same conclusion as others.

We are scheduling a second service call to hopefully fix the problems. Will post an update once the situation is resolved one way or the other.

My interim recommendation would be to avoid this refrigerator unless it is at a huge discount to other built in options, and you're willing to actively manage the service needs.
  • stonuzi
    6 years ago

I purchased the Marvel 36inch all refrigerator in Jan. 2014. Unfortunately, I was out shopping for a new refrigerator today. The Marvel is so loud and annoying! Wish I would have known sooner.