Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
36" range hood for my blue star (budget!)

Posted by EpicureEmily (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 1:54

Looking for help, I'm so overwhelmed!
So we are doing a major kitchen remodel and have a tight budget. My HUGE splurge was a 36" Blue Star (that I got for 20% off!!)
Now I need a hood...I am shocked by the costs of these things...
Here is my issues:
-I cannot go larger than 36", I know bigger would be better, but I'm stuck with what I have
-It needs to be wall mount (not insert/under cabinet)
-because the ceiling is open at this point, it can be any vent type

Ok...here's the challenge...anything with 800-1200 cfm under $1K that's worth buying?

Thanks in advance....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 36" range hood for my blue star (budget!)

It isn't all about CFMs... doubt you realize how much ~1000cfms are. the guy that helped me install my hood said most commercial units he does for taco bell are ~700 cfm.... that said, CFM isn't all that "standard" when it comes to real world performance.

You can look at Kobe hoods, maybe broan, but for "that" high of CFM, you are going for Prizer, Modern Aire.

others you could look at in the midrange would be Faber...

You need something decent to compliment that bluestar unit. get baffle filters at the very least.

I took a gamble on an ebay purchase and it was worth it. These aren't sub 1000 bucks, but are decent units at 'reasonable' prices

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vent-A-Hood-NPH18236-SS-Stainless-Steel-36-Inch-Hood-New-Warranty-600-CFM-/251053327218?pt=US_Cooktops&hash=item3a73f1c372

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vent-A-Hood-NEPXH18236-SS-Stainless-Steel-36-Inch-Hood-New-Warranty-600-CFM-/261037860116?pt=US_Cooktops&hash=item3cc711a514

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vent-A-Hood-SLH30236H-SS-Stainless-Steel-600-CFM-36-Inch-Wide-W-HEAT-LAMPS-/251203600361?pt=US_Cooktops&hash=item3a7ce6bfe9

o

Thanks Zivman, I've been thinking that I'd probably be fine with the 600 models....I don't do much frying, I don't have the grill and I really only use my fan now when I'm canning (lots of steam) or on the rare occasion I burn something.
Your advice confirms my suspicions. :)

o

I think the answer to your original question is probably "no" -- but for what it's worth, I got a 36" Zephyr Venezia hood for my 36" Bluestar. 715cfm, and was about $1200. We cook a lot and it has been very good for us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here