Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Microwave doesn't heat

Posted by tabteacher (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 1:54

I have a GE Profile Spacemaker XL 1800 Microwave. Just all of a sudden it won't heat. A couple times before this happened it made a kind of "pop pop" sound when you turned it on for about a half second.

It is built in above my range. The underneath lights still work, the exhaust still works, The light comes on inside when I turn it on & plate inside still rotates.

Is it worth looking into to try to get it fixed? It always worked fine for what I used it for & I've never had a second's problem with it until now. I purchased it in March of '04, but we have not been hard on it. My husband is pretty handy. Is there anything he could try? My son read to try the defrost cycle & see if it changes speeds. It does.

I have no idea what it does, but the magnetron tube is warrantied for 10 years. Could it be that?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Microwave doesn't heat

I'd be thinking magnetron but perhaps there is a fuse in there as well.

I've had good luck with the folks at the attached link providing assistance with appliance repairs. Just post a message in their forums with the make and model (include the full model number from the tag) And the standard disclaimer - I have no interest or affiliation with the site, financial or otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance Blog

o

Magnetron or the high voltage supply for the magnetron.

GE parts are grossly overpriced.

Even a spacemaker might no be worth repairing.

Internal fuses blow for a reason.

o

Very true.
Nine year old uwave has done its job and then some.
If you can find something new that will fit the spot and do the same job or better, buy it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here