Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lqofhb

30'' free standing/built-in range ($5k

lqofhb
12 years ago

First, thank you to everyone on GW who helped steer us toward he Liebherr fridge. Had a couple early issues, but ironed out and LOVE it!! Am back to find a range. Tried the search features but still have questions...

Needs: 30" range, gas cooktop, don't care gas/electric oven, can't accommodate wall oven so must do combined range/oven, very tight space so need to maximize usefulness of appliance, built-in or free standing, want to spend Was ready to buy the beautiful Bertazzoni (thought would look great with the Liebherr), but deal breaker that it doesnt go below 275 and read many harsh reviews here. Blue star sounds great but oven door gets too hot for our comfort. Still considering Electrolux wave-touch w/ warming drawer(don't like look but like features), Electrolux icon professional(not many reviews), Thermador pro harmony (website says cant use micro/hood). After reading GW, also open to Dacor, Capital and Wolf if they have any models that fit our $ range and needs.

Thoughts, suggestions or anything else I should be considering?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• User
    12 years ago

Using the OTR MW is what will limit you to the lower powered consumer ranges. To use anything really high powered that will make you smile will mean using a real vent. You'll melt the MW with high powered burners.

• oceangirl67
    12 years ago

You want the Wolf, with the red knobs.

• elyash
    12 years ago

I have been looking at ranges and have found some interesting ranges by american range. They have a hybrid range which has induction burners and
    regular burners in a 30 inch range. It has 6 burners and a very large oven. They also have a 30 inch saute range with 6 burners and the same huge oven. I am considering the 36 inch myself.
    I don't know anything about the range, however, and would like to hear from users. I am an interior designer and avid cook. My appliance man recommended american range or blue star (and he does not sell blue star.)
    I know most people on this site seem to prefer CC. I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONEONE COULD STATE THE PROS AND CONS OF AMERICAN RANGE, CC, BLUE STAR AND KITCHEN AID. I also liked the kitchen aid KDRS462VSS dual fuel. This model has a grill; similar models have 6 burners or griddle. That is a 36 inch model, but I believe they also make 30 inch ranges. Consumer Reports which people here love to hate reviewed blue star, american range, viking, thermador, kitchen aid, GE monogram, and kitchen aid. Kitchen aid ranked highest among the pro models. Unfortunately CC was not reviewed.
    I have been looking at OTR MW's for another range. I like the kitchen aid KHMC 1857. It has a recessed turn table to rectangular pans can be used in it and it has convection. There are versions without convection. Most microwaves are made by the same manufacturers and seem to have a short life span. I was considering the advantium by GE but decided against it because my appliance man told me there were many problems with it. He showed me their backroom mark down products which are reconditioned/returned appliances. I think every forth microwave was a returned advantium.

• dgailwong
    11 years ago

Hi, am new to this site and am amazed at the number of ongoing posts and opinions about appliances.

I am in the middle of needing to replace an Electrolux Wave Touch dual fuel range I purchased in 2009. I was away from my home for professional reasons for 2-1/2 years and when I returned, I noticed that the display was missing parts of letters and numbers. I call my local appliance store and found out it was still under the extended warranty and they sent a tech out to replace it the next day.

When I tried to use the oven, I noticed it never reached 350 degrees, called the store back and at the next service call, they told me I needed a new relay board. Comes in a few days later, he puts it, goes phiiiiiit, arcs, then goes out. Still no oven. He calls Electrolux and they told him he has a bad board and they will send out another one. Week later a different tech comes out, replaces the board, and the same thing happens after turning on the oven.

Electrolux then says to replace both the relay board and the control board. At the next visit, Electrolux tells the tech to remove a resister on the relay board, he does that, connects it, and still no oven. The engineer at Electrolux then tells the tech there was a software update on the control board and that they would have to replace the relay board again. The store at this point is refusing, and hopefully the third party warranty company has enough documentation to replace this unit.

I have informed the store that I do not want another range, instead would prefer a pro-style all gas range. I used to have the bottom of the line semi open burner Viking and really liked that, despite having very heavy grates to clean. The store also recommended a 30-inch American Range Cuisine unit.

I am thinking because the higher output, I am now wanting a propane open burner range, that the American Range Performa range may be a good option. If there is anyone out there who has had experience with the American Range units, I would really appreciate your thoughts.

• shannonplus2
    11 years ago

To continue what Hollysprings said, you can't use an OTR MW over the high-powered $5K range that you want. Either compromise and get a lower-budget low-btu range, or get a proper hood. With some ranges (the Wolf for example), you actually invalidate the warranty if you install an OTR MW over it. Review the installation specs of the ranges you are considering; they will specify a hood for the exhaust. Even if you don't care that the OTR MW won't exhaust properly, consider that you will fry the underside of the MW, since they are not constructed to be above high-btu flames. I sympathize that you have a small space and need to put the MW somewhere, but like I said, you then need to compromise on which is more important, the $5K range or the location of the MW.

• cep55
    11 years ago

As far as the hood goes, I swapped out an OTR microwave vent for a Kobe range hood (RA-038). I highly recommend it. Compared with most of the big pro style hoods, it is quite a lot less expensive, sleeker, quieter and has nice rounded edges as opposed to sharp corners. It has 3 speeds: 330 (whisper quiet), 480 and 720 cfm. especially for a smaller kitchen, it works out great, and always easily kept up with my Viking range. I bought this same hood again for my new house, and now I'm the same position you are, trying to decide what to replace the existing Bosch range with. I've gone around and around, but after hours upon hours of research I've just about finalized my decision on the American Range Performer 30". Customer service sounds like the weak link, but builtd quality and the larger-than-most oven (I also like to look of it a lot better than BS or CC) impressed me and I just prefer the feel and design over the others. And at $1800 less than the CC and a reputable local dealer on my side, I'm willing to gamble a little on customer service. (Sounds like no one is perfect in that respect, and a manual clean gas range is really not an overly risky proposition).

Good luck with your search, and let us know what you decide!

Christina

• cep55
    11 years ago

As far as the hood goes, I swapped out an OTR microwave vent for a Kobe range hood (RA-038). I highly recommend it. Compared with most of the big pro style hoods, it is quite a lot less expensive, sleeker, quieter and has nice rounded edges as opposed to sharp corners. It has 3 speeds: 330 (whisper quiet), 480 and 720 cfm. especially for a smaller kitchen, it works out great, and always easily kept up with my Viking range. I bought this same hood again for my new house, and now I'm the same position you are, trying to decide what to replace the existing Bosch range with. I've gone around and around, but after hours upon hours of research I've just about finalized my decision on the American Range Performer 30". Customer service sounds like the weak link, but builtd quality and the larger-than-most oven (I also like to look of it a lot better than BS or CC) impressed me and I just prefer the feel and design over the others. And at $1800 less than the CC and a reputable local dealer on my side, I'm willing to gamble a little on customer service. (Sounds like no one is perfect in that respect, and a manual clean gas range is really not an overly risky proposition).

Good luck with your search, and let us know what you decide!

Christina

• dgailwong
    11 years ago

I removed my OTR microwave and put a Zephyr Toranado which I believe is the same company. I have several speeds ranging from "whisper quiet" to enough suction to hold a paper plate up to it at 850 cfm.

I understand there is only one OTR that puts out enough output for a high BTU range (650 cfm?) but I opted instead for a fan hood and keep a microwave on my counter top across from range.

Still have not heard from my appliance store on the replacement for the Electrolux, it was great while it worked, but cannot really do without an oven.

Any thoughts on burners with varied outputs vs the same output for all 4 burners? I would push for the all gas Viking open burner with a manual clean convection oven, but am concerned about the drop in output with propane, which is all I have available to me.