Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tress21

Do water softeners improve dishwasher performance?

tress21
13 years ago

The KitchenAid KUDE60 dishwasher has a new model with a built-in water softener. Since it's brand new, and doesn't qualify for the current rebate, it is $400 more than the regular KUDE60 model.

$400 would buy a lot of Lemi-Shime or a lifetime supply of vinegar.

$400 also brings the KitchenAid up to the price of the Miele Diamante (with a tried-and-true softener).

For those of us with hard water, how much improvement in performance does a water softener provide? Will I see a difference with a softener, or will regular cleaning with vinegar provide the same results?

Here is a link that might be useful: KUDE60SXSS with water softener

Comments (10)

• bonesoda
    13 years ago

Interesting i missed the hard water softner in it... seems like it maybe salt based just like the miele not 100%.

Sorry not really answering your question but adding some more info about the model.

only one handle available no ultra handle and no panel avail... has lcd also.

from the official sales brochure:
    Available 1st Quarter 2011
    Architect� Series II
    KUDE60SX � 43 dBA**
    Performance
    � EQ Wash System
    � Targeted Wash Zones
    � Hard Water Softener
    � 6 Cycles (ProWash�, Heavy Duty, Normal,
    One Hour Wash, Light/China, Rinse Only)
    � 7 Options (ProScrub,� Sani-Rinse, Hi-Temp Scrub,
    ProDry,� Top Rack Wash, 4 Hour Delay, Control Lock)
    � Dedicated Drying System with ProDry� Option
    � Optimum Wash Sensor
    � AquaSense� Fill System
    � Whisper Quiet� 43 Sound Insulation System
    Craftsmanship & Design
    � Fully Integrated with Display Console
    � Architect� Series II Handle
    � Tall Tub with Stainless Steel Interior
    � 16 Place Setting Capacity
    � Light-Touch Controls with Audio Feedback
    � LED Status Display
    � Culinary Tool Rack
    � Flood Protection Technology
    � ENERGY STAR� Qualified
    � CEE Tier 2 Qualified
    Upper and Lower Racks
    � DuraKote� Nylon-Coated Racks
    � Cushion-Tip� Tines
    Upper Rack
    � Adjustable with SatinGlide� Max System
    and Premium Adjusters
    � Robust Handle with Stainless Steel Insert
    � 2 Fold-Down Rows with Two-Position Tines
    � 6 Sure-Hold� Light Items Clips
    � 2 Fold-Down Plastic Cup Shelves
    with Integrated Stemware Holders
    Lower Rack
    � 2 Fold-Down Rows with Two- and Three-Position Tines
    � Culinary Caddy� Utensil Basket
    � Exclusive Silverware Basket Design with Four Sliding Covers
    Color
    � Stainless Steel (SS)

• kerbosch
    13 years ago

water hardness should be at 4-6 grains for best results. check with th etown to see what the hardness of your water is. if it is higher than this then the softener will help. otherwise it wont do anything

• jakvis
    13 years ago

The softer your water the easier it is for your detergent to do it's job.
    Since the detergent doesn't have to fight minerals in the water it becomes more aggressive to the food removal. With soft water you usually can use much less detergent.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We have moderately hard water. On strip tests, it doesn't come up very high, but the deposits left on our counters, in our sinks, and on our pot filler faucet's mesh whatever-it's-called, tell another story.

We have a Miele Optima with an internal softener. Our new glassware (purchased when our reno was completed, had only been washed in the Optima) became cloudy. Miele tech sup'v came out, and discovered that the water softener sensor wasn't functioning (either at all, or just not properly). When we'd initially set-up the DW, there was something weird with the water hardness read-out, so it was likely a problem from the start. The water intake unit was replaced (sensor is a part of that unit), and the sensor was set so the water is softened when it reaches 6 grains of hardness. Big difference. We don't need to add salt to replenish the reservoir very often (less than twice/year?), but we know it's working, as evidenced by the clarity of our glasses.

• asolo
    13 years ago

"water hardness should be at 4-6 grains for best results. check with th etown to see what the hardness of your water is. if it is higher than this then the softener will help. otherwise it wont do anything"

Well, that would be news to an awful lot of people...including me. "Soft water" is zero grains. Zero grains will provide a noticeable difference compared with 4-6 grains. "....won't do anything"? Don't know where you get this stuff.

• tress21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. My water is listed as 5 grains, however I am on the borderline between two counties and they say it can fluctuate (the neighboring county is considerably higher). Like catmom, I too notice mineral deposits on my showers even though my water is only 'moderately' hard. It's helpful to know that my water wouldn't even trip the water-softening sensors in these dishwashers!

• User
    13 years ago

0 grains and soft water are also not the be all end all for most circumstances either.

• aprince
    13 years ago

There is more than one model of KUDE60 and not all have water softeners.

Due to the elimination of phosphates from detergent in most states, a water softener may make a big difference but only if you have hard water.

• fivefootzero
    13 years ago

Interesting...that model isn't even on the KA website.

• asolo
    13 years ago

"0 grains and soft water are also not the be all end all for most circumstances either."

Didn't say that. However, it is certainly a bench-mark....in practical terms, pretty much THE bench-mark for all, not most, circumstances. One either has soft water or one doesn't. After zero grains, it's a matter of how many grains hard has to be dealt with....and we all go from there.

In terms of detergent dosage, pretty significant consideration.

IMHO, up to three grains I wouldn't soften. Four and above I would. Other people have different opinions.