Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanrreddy_gw

Selecting Appliances - Need advice

shanrreddy
13 years ago

Building a new home in Sacramento area and need some advice in selecting appliances. Thinking of picking different companies that give value for the money. Appreciate your help

1) 36" SS gas range

2) 30" SS double oven

3) 30" SS uwave oven

4) 24" SS Dishwasher

Comments (22)

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Before anyone can give you good advice you need to state your budget.

• shanrreddy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Deeageaux. I have an allowance of $8500.00 for above appliances..

• funfarm
    13 years ago

Did you mean to say 36" cooktop and a double oven or are going with a full range AND a double oven ( 3 ovens total)? If a cooktop, you should be able to do just fine within that $8500. I spent about $8800 for a refrigerator, cooktop, single wall oven, dishwasher, microwave + trim kit and a island-mount vent hood. I didn't go crazy, but I feel very good about the quality of the items I got:
    Refrigerator: Samsung 29 cu ft French door
    Cooktop: 36" Fisher-Paykel
    Wall oven: 30" Bosch 800 series
    Dishwasher: LG fully integrated
    Micro: Sharp 2.0 cu ft 1200 watt + 30" trim kit
    Vent hood: 42" 715 cfm Zephyr Milano
    All are stainless

Shop around, including online. You'll do great!
    Dean

• shanrreddy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I meant 36" cooktop only. Thanks Dean

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

BlueStar RBCT365BSS $2600
    Electrolux ICON Professional E30EW85GPS $3500
    Miele Diamante Plus Series G2143SCSS $1449
    Sharp Insight KB6525PS $750
    Total $8299

• mjvbryan
    13 years ago

I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher and it has been great for 4 1/2 years, no problems at all. I'm moving and am planning to get the newer one for $1300. The db is 43 same as Miele. I considered the Miele, but the lack of a heating element means my dishes won't dry, and it can't fit everything I put in the DW now.
    My cooktop is a 36" gas Kitchen Aid for $1300.
    The double wall ovens has been very frustrating. Every brand seems to have major problems and numerous complaints. I have a Jenn Air now and it's been great for 4 1/2 years, but now it is owned by Kitchen Aid and its ovens are the subject of a class action suit coming up. So, I don't think I should go with them again.
    The only thing I do know is that I will have to budget in the extended warranties!

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

You don't need a heating element to dry dishes but you do to melt plastics.

Different dishwashers have different tines and may fit some dishes and not others.It is usually very unusual dishes that don't fit in one or the other.

• mjvbryan
    13 years ago

To deeageaux,
    American dishwashers do have a heating element and European ones don't. Drying time for European versions are much longer. You're correct that DW have different types of tines, however, both baskets in the American DW are bigger than European and fit more. I know because I've had one. Some people love European and some don't. It depends on the individual's needs. I cook most days and those were major considerations for me. PS. I haven't had plastics melt in 20 years.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Drying time for European versions are much longer.

Some American dishwashers,like TOL KitchenAids,are droping the heating element. Yes,they take longer but they are also much more energy efficient.

Most people have more than one load of dishes. So the times would be a very minor concern to most people.

Most people don't run a cycle but every two or three days untill the dishwasher is full so the minor amount of extra capacity is not relelvant to most people.

I haven't had plastics melt in 20 years.

Good for you. Heating elements in dishwashers melt plastics from sea to shining sea.

It depends on the individual's needs

That is mega obvious.

No rating company is the end all be all.

But JD Power public survey rated Miele Dishwashers the highest in customer satisfaction.

You don't get that award by not drying dishes,having poor capacity, taking too long,or not meeting the needs of the average American consumer.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Who only runs their DW every 3-4 days??? I run mine every night and sometimes during the day to catch up. I estimate 10 runs/week. I only know one person who doesn't run theirs every night and she eats out a lot.

How about a Elux oven?

• mjvbryan
    13 years ago

I run mine every day too and cram it to the hilt so I don't have to run multiple loads. Mine has been great! The rest of what was stated above, well, it's personal opinion and I stand by mine since I've owned a Miele, so let it go, that's what the forum is all about.
    So, let's get back to the original question.
    I'm curious about the Elux double ovens too.
    Funfarm, are you happy with your Samsung french door? I'm looking for a cabinet depth three door and again, there are mixed reviews on all of them out there.

• funfarm
    13 years ago

Mjv,
    Well, my Samsung is still waiting for me to install it... After I rip out the old cabinets, rework the electrical and plumbing, do the drywall and install the new cabinets. ;o)
    While I can't comment on my experience with the Sammy FD, my purchase was based partly on the experience of some very good friends. They are very happy with theirs, although theirs is the 297 or 298 model - very similar.
    I will be posting my thoughts on all of my appliance experiences after I instal and use for a while.
    It does look great in my garage though...
    Cheers, Dean

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

I did not say every 3-4 days but every 2-3 days.

Most people that work and have lunch at work.

Except for retired people and people that work at home, everyone I know runs their dishwasher every 2-3 days.

The difference in capacity between Miele and Kenmore Elite is not so great that it will change how many loads you run per month with the possible exception of maybe one load.

JD Powers data is not personal opinion but scientifically valid research. Unlike the self selected and reported data at Consumer Reports.

LOL Yeah, lets get back to the original question.

• mikern10
    13 years ago

I can attest for the Electrolux Icon ovens that they are great, perform flawlessly and have been without any problems. They also look really nice in my kitchen.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

My bad, Deeageaux. You did write 2-3 days.

CJ has the Elux non-icon ovens in her new kitchen. When she posted about it over on Kitchens, she said she is very happy with their performance and uses them quite a bit.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

"JD Powers data is not personal opinion but scientifically valid research. Unlike the self selected and reported data at Consumer Reports."

One supects that had JD Powers not picked the Miele over the other brands, the poster of the above msg would have included them in the "Self Selected Data Camp"

Well, guess what? They didn't pick Miele for "Over All Satisfaction"! Yep they gave the award to Miele, but if you check their "Comparison Chart" (See the link below), the Bosch scored higher.

If We look at posts here, There is no comparison between the satisfaction between the 2, Miele wins, Hands down.

Why is that----why the big difference between JD Powers, CR and the info here???

I think some of the "Attack Dawgs" here are scaring off ppl from telling the truth here, or not posting about problems with "High End Appliances" because "potential posters" look and see what happened to others when they were not "All Sweet and Honey" about their "High End Appliances"
    (Witness what happened to the user that posted about Wolf Problems)!!!! Yes they should answer "Has Wolf been out", yet still a vicious attack!!!

Now look at the post by the user that had an Amana Fridge fail. (I checked, that poster has been here for 6 years) but usually posts in the Garden Section, and as far as I can tell, this is her first post here-----Nothing wrong with that!!!! If something fails it helps us all to know.

So, I think we are scaring off users, particularly those who scrimped and saved to buy the "High End Stuff" and we don't (Here on GW) get a true picture of what life really is, with these appliances.

Ya may recalls I was batted about a bit for my investigation of Miele ovens, but now at least we have a "Truer Picture" of at least (at this particular time)
    What the experience with these ovens has been (Thanks to those of you that had "The Guts" to tell it like it is"

If we don't, "Tell it like it is" and encourage other folks, especially new posters (to do the same), then GW will fall into the category that our Southern Calif Friend puts CR in, and we won't be a help to anybody!!!

I do have a Miele DW and I like it very well, but if it or any of my appliances have problems, "Rest Assured" that you folks will be the first to know---That's how it should be Regardless of whether it's a Miele, SZ , GE what have ya. Likewise I will tell you what has performed Well!!!

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: JD Powers Chart

• cj47
    13 years ago

I have the non-icon Electrolux ovens and I've been very happy with them. I use them pretty heavily for bread, pizza, roasts, pies, cookies, etc. and I have no complaints at all. I chose the non-Icons over the Icons because the interior of the oven is larger. I liked the look of the Icons, but the fact that they were about an inch smaller in depth was a deal breaker for me. I love the roll out racks. I have absolutely no regrets about my choice. I also have a Miele Inspira dishwasher and it cleans flawlessly, every time. I love it.

Best of luck with your choices,
    Cj

• weissman
    13 years ago

dodge59 - I agree that there are some attack dawgs on this forum - Bluestar owners used to be the worst but now that the Capital Culinarian has come out, that seems to have died down some. I also feel that you get a lot of honest posts on this forum, both positive and negative.

I disagree with you about the recent Wolf post - that poster seems like a possible troll to me. I also don't feel that he was attacked - just thoroughly grilled about issues that he refuses to answer. He was also offered assistance from Wolf/Subzero which he hasn't responded to.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

You may be correct weissman about that poster, I just used that as a current example of the point I was making, and like you, I would like to see the question answered.

I can site many other examples of similar occurrences, (Like when somebody has a problem with a Miele DW), "It wasn't installed right", "You don't know how to use it" ---etc etc--but you can find those , easy as I can.

Like you said and I did too, We have a lot of "Honest Posters" here.

My point for the post is, we want to do our best to "Welcome new Posters here" and make them "Feel at Home".
    (regardless of their appliance choices or their inputs about same.)

If they are brand new to the forum, Let's give them, "The Benefit of the Doubt" at least till we all have a "Full Deck of Cards" on the new poster and then "Draw Conclusions".

Now , do I do the above, all the time?

Gary leaves, Scratchin' Head.

• mjvbryan
    13 years ago

cj47,
    Thanks for the information. My only other concern is the self-cleaning feature. I know there were major problems with the 2009 model and was fixed for the 2010. Have you cleaned both your ovens yet or know others who have with the 2010 model? Your input is so appreciated. I was really despairing that a good quality mid-range priced double wall oven even existed. I've read of so many people who are in the same boat as me. This is the last bump!

funfarm,
    Thanks for the info also. I will check them out this weekend.

dodge59,
    You're the man! I don't know how CR got into this. I was just adding my two cents for my personal choice for whatever it's worth. You mentioned in another post that there's a learning curve with the European DW. You're right. There were many things I liked about the Miele when I owned one, but again, this is my current choice given my home life and have no regrets. I work full-time and have a house full of teenagers. I'm just the average get the dinner on the table and I do run my DW full every night.
    I am also a new poster, and have already figured out who the attackers are and who thinks of himself as the GW pope and the consensus board (whatever that is). Their credibility means little to me. Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I have learned a lot from this site and do appreciate the honest and respectful responses.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

mjvbryan
    Do you know the model # of the double Elux oven you are looking for? I can goggle that number, along with the word "reviews" and find out a bit more about them.

A "quick check" after you google the Model #& reviews is to count the stars that the different "Hits" show,---AJMadiso,---Sears, Epinions etc etc etc, wherever you see 3 stars or less, go to that site, and see why only 3 stars.

This will give you an overall general consensus of whether the problem has been fixed or not.

I am not a good reference as far as the Elux holding up to Self Cleaning---To Be Honest, all those post about the KA's failing scared the **** outta me, I looked to see if other ovens had the same problem, most seem to be double ovens, but no manufacturer was exempt from complaints about this kind of problem-----so sorry , I can't be of more help here, but like I said, gimmie the model # and I'll give it my "Best Shot"

TO Elux's credit, as mentioned here on GW, Elux acknowledged the problem, and addressed it (I hope Sucessfully), compare that to the competition where I hear there is a lawsuit pending , "Our ovens failing during Self Clean"?????---"We Never Heard of that" Sheeeeeshhhh.

If I can be of more help just holler!

Gary

• mjvbryan
    13 years ago

Hi Shanreddy,
    I live one hour south of you in Walnut Creek. :)
    After two months of researching and going to every store in the East Bay area, I finally selected the appliances for the house we're building.
    Refrigerator: KitchenAid French Door 72"
    Dishwasher: Kenmore Elite
    Cooktop: KitchenAid 36" gas
    Double Ovens: Electrolux Icon
    Built-In Microwave: Electrolux Icon
    Vent Hood Insert: Vent-a-Hood

DW is from Sears. The rest of the appliances are from Friedmans with free delivery. They will match any advertised store price and take good care of you later on. I've bought appliances from them in the past. Do you have one in Sac?
    I've read so many opinions and reviews from this site and others, individual stores, plus, Consumer Affairs.com. This last site helped alot. Of course you only read complaints, but some brands and models have more than others. Example: Electrolux didn't have any complaints, whereas KitchenAid ovens had over 47 pages. Read JD Powers and Consumer Reports too. As dodge59 told me on another thread, read everything, count the yays and nays and add it up.
    The double ovens were especially frustrating. Electrolux seems to have the least number of complaints than any other mid-priced ovens.
    I'll add that I'm buying the extended warranties on the double ovens and refrigerator.
    I did find out that Electrolux is revamping their ovens and the new ones will be out in the fall which is when I'll be purchasing them also.
    Good luck in your search.

Thank you dodge59, cj47 and others for your feedback and help.
    cj47... I took my largest roasting pan that I use to cook my 25 lb. turkeys to the store and put it in all of the Electrolux ovens. Thankfully, it fit fine in the one I chose.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz