Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone make smaller Washer & Dryers ?

Posted by johnnytoobad (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 1:05

I am remodeling a tiny cottage kitchen, this place is like a studio apartment with very limited space. I'd like to install a washer & dryer, and the only place it can go is hidden in the kitchen cabinets. I have heard mixed reviews of the "combo" or "all-in-one" washer & dryers, loved by Europeans, but disliked by many Americans. But for now, I really don't want to consider the all-in-ones.

The smallest washer & dryer unit I have been able to find are by Miele, about 23" wide x 23 deep x 33" high. These will probably work, but if I can find something a bit smaller, all the better. This is a guest house with limited use, so there won't be a lot of wash being done, nor will the loads be big loads. And because of the kitchen design/layout, I cannot install a stacked unit, they have to be separate units, that will be a few feet apart. Venting the dryer is not a problem.

Are there any European models or other out there smaller than the Miele and of exccellent quality ?

Thanks, cheers, John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone make smaller Washer & Dryers ?

Ariston is marginally smaller but no where near as good as Miele both in performance and service. You loose quite a bit of capacity.

Asko gets higher temps for whites and to disinfect but not as good in terms of service or reliability. It is a bit shorter but deeper.

It seems your perfect washer would be V-Zug but unfortunately they don't sell them in North America.

o

Bosch also makes compact washers and driers. These look like the models they sell in Europe. The European models are considered good (we had one for years; it was excellent). ~24" is the standard size in Europe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boch compact washers and dryers

o

For your application Miele or Asko are the only good bets.

The Bosch has quality issues especially long term, I've had two pair over the years and all have needed service and parts, and one pair was scrapped entirely. My miele is still going strong.

o

There are a whole bunch of tiny Asian top-load washers sold by the likes of Haier and Avanti that have a 16" to 21" square footprint, along with (usually 120 volt, ventless) dryers that are only about 15" deep. The latter are not condensation dryers, rather they just run their exhaust through a filter and into your room, which tends to get warm, damp, and dusty.

o

a top loader doesn't make much sense in kitchen cabinets , underneath a countertop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here