Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diab123

Miele: not sure about "clean air drying"

diab123
11 years ago

Hi,
Hear all the raves about Miele dishwashers---but nervous about a dishwasher without heated drying. Those with Miele please explain how this works, how well dishes dry without heated dry.

Comments (7)

• fauguy
    11 years ago

It sort of depends on which model you have, as the higher-end ones are a bit more advanced. But how it works is by heating up the final rinse. Then there is a fan in the front-right that brings in external air around the internal chamber. This causes the hot moisture air inside the dish compartment to be pulled to the stainless walls, since cold air is being circulated on the other other side. Also you need to use a rinse aid. The higher end models (Diamond, Dimension Plus) also open the door about 1.5" after the drying cycle to then allow warm moisture to escape.

My unit is about 2.5 years old. It has the fan that circulates the cold air around the compartment, and I most all items comes out dry. Exceptions are some plastics (tupperware) and if a glass/cup as a concave bottom where water can sit. This is no big deal. I'd rather had this this "baked heat" from a heating element that can melt plastics.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

I'm with fauguy on this--I much prefer the type of drying system in our '06-'07 model Miele Optima over the heated dry in our old KA DW's. I love being able to place plastic items anywhere I want without risk of melting said items (larger plastic-ware containers can go on the bottom rack, instead of taking up "valuable" middle rack space--wahoo!).

If I recall, plastic-ware didn't come out of our old DW bone dry, and concave cup bottoms sometimes held a little water, depending on their rack placement (if they are sitting on a more angled section of the rack, water is less likely to collect without draining off).

• diab123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you! more to my question:
    Miele has dishwashers at approx $2,000. and Bosch at around $700.---what is the justification for the extra $ spent? Everyone seems to love Miele---I just don't know why they are so much better than other brands.
    thank you!

• DCJersey
    11 years ago

There are plenty of Mieles available under $2000. The lowest level Miele starts at $900 (if you dont want a cutlery tray or stainless). You can get a cutlery tray and stainless for $1099.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

You don't have to go with the $2000 model. Mine was like $1400-1500 (Diamante Plus from about 2 years ago). The top Miele Diamond model offer a ton more wash programs (more than most people would use), but does have automatic sensor wash (which adjust the cycle time depending on how dirty the load is), also the LED lights (which do look nice), and auto door close (similar to trunks on Cadillac) and drying door open. The other models are lower price, but still get the job done without costing as much.

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

diab123: "Miele has dishwashers at approx $2,000. and Bosch at around $700.---what is the justification for the extra $ spent? Everyone seems to love Miele---I just don't know why they are so much better than other brands. "

Our Miele dishwasher (G 848) is a decade old, so what I am about to write may be outdated; but, when we bought ours, the Mieles, model for model, were as much as 50 percent heavier than the corresponding models of Bosch dishwashers. An "invisible" matter like the gauge of stainless steel employed in the construction can make a big difference in the long-range performance of an appliance.

• xedos
    11 years ago

Bosch has $2000 dishwashers too.

People love them because they are built to a high level of quality and performance - not to a price point that can be sold in every home center and appliance store.

They also last for decades, not years.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler