Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikeltz_gw

Wolf 48" all gas range

ikeltz
11 years ago

My hubby and I are considering purchasing a Wolf 48 inch range. I would like two ovens, but don't really care for wall ovens in our kitchen remodel. Anyone who owns one, how useful is the 18 inch oven? I do like to bake, and the 30 inch is fine for that, but just wondering how much use the 18 inch would get. My husband is also making our cabinets, so we need to decide the appliance question soon, so we can move forward.

Thanks so much.

Comments (6)

• Tim W
    5 years ago

I know your post was 5 years ago, but did you go with the Wolf? We are going thru the same exercise in 2018. If you bought, how do you like the all gas?

• M
    5 years ago

Honestly, how many large ovens do you need? Most people find that they really don't use their large ovens very often, and the faster preheat times of smaller ovens are a big bonus.

I can fully understand having one large oven. But for everything else, go for smaller. Also, if you have the option (i.e. money and space), pick more versatile ovens (e.g. combination steam and/or speed oven). You'll appreciate having more diverse tools.

Of course, that brings you back to the question whether a 48" range is really the ideal configuration. For some people it very much might be. This is especially true, if you install a built-in griddle or grill (only, if you actually believe you would use these though!). If this is you, make sure you understand the rather complex venting requirements and the need for an expensive make-up-air system. With 48" of gas, you really can't ignore that.

You might still be better off with a range top and wall ovens; or you might find that a more conventionally-sized range in combination with one or two wall ovens fits your needs better. It all comes down to why you think you actually need this much space dedicated to cooking surfaces.

There is a need for 48" ranges. But for the majority of consumers, it is not the ideal tool, once they analyze their actual needs.

• opaone
    5 years ago

Smaller ovens are also usually more energy efficient than larger.

However, larger ovens can cook/bake more evenly. The sides of an oven are often much hotter (and the top a bit hotter still) than the middle so being too close to these surfaces can cause things to burn, larger ovens allow more free air flow around pans so temps can even out better, and larger ovens typically, depending on the quality of the oven, have less temp swings over time.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    5 years ago

We bought a DCS 48" dual fuel range in about 2008, and really liked the dual electric ovens. The split of oven size was about 33" (4.8 cu ft) and 15" (2.1 cu ft) for the ovens. We went with dual fuel because my wife felt the heat may be more even with electric ovens.

The small oven was great for quick cooking because pre-heat only took a few minutes. 15" sounds really narrow, but we found it a very convenient size. The large oven had heavy duty slides (with bearings) under the racks, so it was very easy to set a heavy dish on the extended rack and just slide it in.

Bruce

• opaone
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Better engineered ovens allow for standard size 12" (300mm) steam/chafer pans to fit in the smaller oven and ideally be supported by the rack ladders. This is very convenient for keeping stuff warm. Wolf 1, Bluestar 0. It often seems like Bluestar got the burners right and everything else wrong.

• Tim W
    5 years ago

We ended up buying a display Wolf E Professional Double Oven. Was never used, only on display. New is $6775, we got it for $2999. Could not pass up that deal. Unfortunately will be a year before actual install.