Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ay1128

Are you happy with your self-clean Capital range?

ay1128
15 years ago

My wife is looking at 36" ranges (4 burners+grill) and was going to get a Viking. That was before I started reading the reviews here and elsewhere. So we're looking for a 36" all gas self-clean range and the only one I've found is Capital. There are a couple of favorable reviews here but not a lot to go by. If you're an owner, how has your experience been? My one concern is that it looks like it has a pretty small capacity. Tia for your comments.

Comments (26)

• idrive65
    15 years ago

My only complaint with my capital range is that the burners are a bit large for the small 2qt pots that I use frequently. I have to turn the flame down in order to keep it from shooting around the sides of the pot, and then it takes forever to get the food cooking. I have a 30" but don't use the oven much, so the size is fine for me. To be honest I stood at the store looking at the Capital, DCS, Thermador, and Viking, and picked this range because it LOOKS so nice. LOL.

• ay1128
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, looks will definitely help my wife get over not having her Viking :) Are the burners bigger than other pro-style ranges?

• coleen3201118
    15 years ago

Love my Capital (although mine are probably among the favorable reviews you've seen here)- I have a 48" w/ griddle. so I imagine the oven capacity on my large one is the same as the 36"? Anyway, I haven't ever needed more space - Thanksgiving, etc - I've been fine. And it IS beautiful.

• ay1128
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks people for helping. I guess durability is also important, so- how long have you owned your range?

• coleen3201118
    15 years ago

Capital Precisions only came out in 2007, which is when I got mine. Took a chance on them and I'm glad I did! Although the 2 year warranty helped.

• idrive65
    15 years ago

Well, looks will definitely help my wife get over not having her Viking :) Are the burners bigger than other pro-style ranges?
    ====

I don't know how they compare size-wise, to be honest I didn't shop around much. The appliance store owner is a client of dh's and steered us away from Viking.

I did notice a slight gas smell the other day coming from one burner, and emailed their customer service. They emailed back right away to get my info and told me that such-and-such appliance would be contacting me about getting it serviced. I was impressed with the quick reply, we'll see what happens.

• vonzie
    15 years ago

The burners on the Capital are the 2nd largest in these types of ranges/rangetops. The SuperNOVA burners on the Bluestar's are 22K Btu, Capital's are 19K Btu. But Bluestar's are open burners vs. Capital's sealed burners. My experience sealed burners are easier to clean, but the open burners peform much better (and Bluestar's are very good).

• ay1128
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I asked about the size of the burners I was referring to the comment that the flames shoot around the sides of a small pot. I imagine Bluestar wouldn't have that problem. I'm guessing there are different configurations for burners of any power. So the amount of btu's shouldn't automatically tell me which is biggest, or will it?

• cannond
    15 years ago

Hello out there. My Capital range was installed last week. I've used all the functions and am impressed. The rotisserie and grill were stellar in their performance. The self cleaning feature worked beautifully.

As to burner size, I can see where the flames might overwhelm a very small pot, though I havenÂt a tiny pot. For that reason, I expect I would have preferred the Blue Star burners.

Nevertheless, the Capital fulfilled most of the criteria I required for a range. It came closer than any other brand. ItÂs also built like a tank and much prettier than IÂd imagined. I wanted color, but I also wanted the grill, rotisserie, self clean, all gas. No one else could deliver as much. I bought it sight unseen and I donÂt regret it.

Deborah

• ay1128
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I think we've decided on the Capital Precision for all the reasons mentioned. My wife rarely cooks in small pots so we hope that won't be an issue.

• ray_garvey
    15 years ago

If small pots become a problem, invest in a Kuhn Rikon Heat Diffusor. I use my with great success. I have a Capital Precision 30" and the Heat Diffusor gets a lot of use. It comes in 9.5" and 11"

Here is a link that might be useful: Kuhn Rikon

• wikachick
    14 years ago

I adore my Capital 36. Haven't used the self-cleaning or the rotisserie yet, but the oven, broiler and burners are all top notch. It boils water in a snap, yet can simmer beautifully, too. It is the cornerstone of my kitchen.

• vivremanger
    14 years ago

Does the 30" Capital come with a self-cleaning oven? Googling the product it seems that none of the 30" come with self-cleaning. And the discussion here has not disabused me of that notion.

• weissman
    14 years ago

Yes Capital makes a 30" self-cleaning range - it's right on their web page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Capital 30

• vivremanger
    14 years ago

Attention rotissserie cookers:

How many Capital range owners have used the rotisserie feature? How heavy a weight can it hold? Is it good for a medium size turkey (15-20 pounds? Has anyone p;ushed it past that weight?

• dadofmeeko
    14 years ago

I have used the rotisserie a couple of times for prime rib and a couple of times for whole chickens and the results are awesome. Best prime rib I ever ate.

As far as the weight goes, I think the owners manuel says its limit is 40 lbs. I would believe it because the rods are solid. The only thing I question about a large turkey, or any turkey for that matter, is that the capital oven seems a little small from top to bottom. It is advertised as having a large capacity able to accommodate commercial sized cookie sheets, but it seems like most of the cubic feet capacity is due to large width and depth and not height. I have not tried a turkey yet but every time I look inside the oven I am very skeptical that one would fit (on the rotisserie that is, i'm sure there is no problem with standard roasting of a large bird).

I would also be curious if any fellow capital owners have used the rotisserie for any sized turkey.

• vivremanger
    14 years ago

Thanks for the response. I am eager to learn if any others can answer your turkey question.

Has anyone had problems with incessant clicking at the simmer or other low temperature burner settings?

I have witnessed that problem with DCS burners, but does it occur in Capital ranges as well.

Thanks again.

• dadofmeeko
    14 years ago

No clicking problems on simmer for our range. Low simmer works great.

• eandhl
    14 years ago

I have never heard of any clicking noise with the DCS. I do know some people complain about it on the Thermador but others are not bothered by it.

• weissman
    14 years ago

The clicking noise on the Thermador is by design - they do simmer by cycling the burners on and off.

Continuous clicking on other ranges is due to a problem of some sort. The ignitor will click if it thinks the burner is not lit. If a burner gets wet due to a boil over or after it's been washed, for example, the burner may click for a while until it dries out. On ranges like the Wolf (and on the DCS before they changed the design of the island trim vent), the burners would be deprived of oxygen by fumes venting from the oven and would continue to click. Also ranges with faulty ignitors or spark modules will continue to click.

• weissman
    14 years ago

>>I have witnessed that problem with DCS burners, but does it occur in Capital ranges as well.

If you witnessed the problem during simmer on a DCS, some of the holes in the simmer burner ring were probably clogged. This happens infrequently, but when it does, you need to remove the simmer ring and clean the holes with a paper clip.

• carleenzambetti_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Just recieved my 48" precision range. Very happy with it till I boiled pasta last night and it started to boil over a bit before I caught it. to my horror when I went to clean it up after dinner I discovered that the burner caps had chipped off where the water touched them. I now have eight spots on the burner where the finish is gone after one use. I emailed the company after dinner but have not heard anything as of yet.

• marjoriesam
    12 years ago

I had just about decided on a 30" Capital, but after hearing the problems listed above about clicking and, especially, burner caps chipping off where water boiled over, I'm now very hesitant. I have to make a decision fairly quickly so I'd appreciate having others weigh on on these issues at your earliest. Thanks. edneym@pepperlaw.com

• GilBagnell
    11 years ago

We have had a variety of high end ranges, and the Capital is the worst of the lot. We now have a Wolf and are delighted with it. We had a Thermador in a previous home and that was also quite good. We had an old Viking, which was not bad but was outdated. The Capital was really a disaster from the begining and their warranty service was abysmal.

As a former chef, I am used to cooking on a variety of stoves. I like all-gas. I have always gotten 48 inch home ranges because two ovens are a must and I find that a flat griddle is an indispensable tool that is much more versatile than people realize. On the Wolf I also have a char grill, which is better than many restaurant grills I have used.

If you have ever watched Chopped, you know that they use Capital ranges, and my wife and I have often commented on how the chefs there are always complaining about the oven not being hot or pans not heating right. That was our experience with Capital. We couldn't even bake bread without putting a double pan on the shelf below the bread, and even then the bottom scorched. The griddle did not respond at all, and flames shot out the back. Even after numerous attempts at getting the stove fixed under warranty, it still did not work right. I am sure many of these stoves do work passably well, but I would never buy one again. My Thermador and Vikings before were much better, and the Wolf I have now is better still. Anything but another Capital!

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

If you have ever watched Chopped, you know that they use Capital ranges, and my wife and I have often commented on how the chefs there are always complaining about the oven not being hot or pans not heating right.

The complaints on Chopped are mostly due to the time constraints. 20 minutes for appetizers and desserts and 30 minutes for the entre including prep time. Pro Chefs that use 30-36k btu burners will find the Culinarians on Chopped slow and would find Wolf,Thermador,and Viking worse still.

I have seen personal chefs burn food on the Culinarians because they are use to mediocre ranges like Wolf and Viking in client homes.

I would rather keep my 36" Culinarian than get a free 48" or 60" Wolf,Thermador,or Viking.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Welcome to GilBagnell's Member Page

See my Clippings See my Journal See my trade list

I live in: United States

My Birthday is September 15 .

First registered on August 24,2012.