Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whirlpool Stainless Steel Appliances Streak

Posted by Dovetonsils (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 0:25

I have a stainless steel Whirlpool dishwasher and my son has three stainless Whirlpool appliances and all have the same problem. When you clean them with any cleaning product I have tried, it leaves dark streaks all over. While you are cleaning the steel, it looks like it will come out bright and beautiful, but after it dries, it is all streaked. The only thing I was able to use that did not have that phenomenon was a cooking oil spray. Does anyone have Whirlpool or other appliances with that problem? I have other stainless appliances and sinks that you can use anything on and they come out shiny and no streaks. Anything else to try?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whirlpool Stainless Steel Appliances Streak

I stopped using cleaning products or polishes on mine. I tried so many different ones all left them streaky or greasy... Now I just use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe them clean and another to dry. Look great for weeks with lots of teenage boys in the house.

o

Same as xc60 ... no greasy/oily "cleaning" products. I did use such products in the past. Gently scrubbed the residue off (rub only in direction of the polishing marks and rinse well) with Bar Keeper's Friend. Now I wipe with a damp cloth, and use Bar Keeper's Friend when needed to deal with stubborn smudges and spills.

Bar Keeper's Friend contains oxalic acid which effectively removes and refreshes the protective chromium oxide layer on stainless steel.

o

I had good luck with Windex on my Whirlpool side by side fridge. Nothing else worked.

o

Same here. Gave up a long time ago with gunk and oils. Attracts dust and streaks easily.
It takes a bit of time to get it all off the first time. Stay with it, go with the grain, wipe and wipe, clean again, and use a very clean cloth to dry. Might take a few tries.
Now i just do a simple clean every other month, and maybe a simple wipe and buff once a week if that. You must dry it well. Leaves streaks if left to dry on its own.
I use BarKeeps or more often BonAmi.
Some minor 'paw' prints near the handles will buff off with just a cloth now that all that 'stainless' cleaner gunk is no longer used.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here