Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luisa_at_home

stainless steel sinks- differences

luisa_at_home
16 years ago

I am confused about stainless steel sinks. If the numbers are the same (18 gauge, 18/10 ratio chrome to nickel, series 304 stainless for example) you would think it wouldn't matter who makes it - that it would be more or less the same quality.

The salesman is telling me it does matter due to the manufacturing process, the welds etc. I need a single large basin stainless sink & Dawn makes one for half the price of Franke or Blanco & it's 16 gauge!

Does anyone have any smarts about the differences of stainless sink quality?

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Also check out Ticor sinks via Galaxy Tool Supply. Theirs are also 16 gauge (15 gauge rims). They also come with free items like SS sink grids and strainers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ticor Undermount Sink (Galaxy Tool Supply)

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Whether or not there's any validity to what the salesman says, one thing's for certain: He has to try to justify higher price for a name brand.

Can't say I've ever heard of a sink failing though - anyone else?

As for me, I'd make the same assumptions that you made regarding materials. I would definitely want to see and feel the sink rather than buy from a picture - For a lot of my life I thought of stainless sinks as cheapo builder grade items, until I saw nice ones. Now I'd be very happy with the salvaged Franke that's been waiting for me in my garage for a couple years now.

• cpovey
    16 years ago

Galaxy sinks are made in China, for what's it's worth.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

CPVEY: The fact that Ticor sinks may be made in China, means what? That it is automatically junk? That it is glazed in lead? Or what?

I have a Ticor sink. It's great! It's made of 16-gauge SS. It was much less expensive and every bit as nice as the highly recognized expensive "brand" name ones. I've not seen ONE report here of someone who bought a Ticor sink that didn't like theirs.

So what's the deal? Maybe you can expand on your statement?

• kat_ofhb
    16 years ago

^Easy there. You can't deny the fact that certain products have been identified as being produced with dangerous materials. Even so, cpovey never led on to this issue.

• juliet3
    16 years ago

There are several things that differentiate stainless steel sink manufacturers and their different costs than just the gauge. One thing is the finish appearance. E.g. Franke's finish is very shiny. That is a selling point for some people. Other people like the more brushed finish of the Blanco. There's no right or wrong choice, it's personal taste, but it's one of the things that may cause people to spend more on one sink than another. Also, the manufacturers have slightly different dimensions on their sinks, so people who have very specific size requirements may opt to pay more for a certain name brand which may make that specific size they are seeking.

Drain placement also differentiates sink choices. I did not want my drain in the center of the sink; I wanted it towards the back. That narrowed down my choices, and I was willing to pay more for the sink in the size I wanted with the drain location I wanted. (BTW, the reason I didn't want my drain in the center of my single bowl sink is that I wanted to set down a large roasting pan or cookie sheet or the like, without covering up the drain hole.)

A friend of mine bought a sink for her kitchen that seemed right, was a bargain, but was a name brand that no one heard of. Once installed, it has never drained properly, since the slope of the floor of the sink is out of kilter. The contractor installed it and re-installed it, and tried all kinds of tricks to get it to flow correctly, but it just wasn't right, and my friend has to live with a sink that usually has a small puddle of water in the center. Not the end of the world, and the sink looks fine, but you sometimes get what you pay for.

Stainless steel gauge is only one factor in sink selection and price, and it's a fairly minor one.

• limequilla
    16 years ago

It's in the finishing details. There is a visible lip on most of the under counter models right where it meets the countertop and side wall of the sink. I'm not sure why it's there unless it's to give stability if you have a huge sink of water and dirty, heavy skillets. I thought I was getting a deal by buying Franke from Lowe's for 1/2 the cost, and it has been a nightmare to keep clean. There is a double roll that was finished poorly all around the perimeter. Also, the soundproofing on some -- for instance, on mine it sounded hollow when we ran water. So I had to do a little work on it to make it sound better...the difference in the expensive klunk of a Cadillac door complared to a Ford Mustang....yo know it when you hear it :)

My very expensive grantite countertop people suggested the most common sink as their favorite. Too bad I can't think of the name of it, but the name is boring and so are the styles. I wish I had gotten one now.

Lime

• luisa_at_home
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. It is great to have all the input. Could it have been a kindred (which is very reasonably priced), a Blanco, or an Elkay?
    Thanks again,
    Luisa

• chipshot
    16 years ago

Elkay and Whitehaus have served us well.

Some people want to see a logo. Others want the sink's stainless to match a faucet or appliance. Give me big, sturdy, and shiny and money left over for other kitchen goodies.

• sanborn5
    16 years ago

I love my blanco. I looked at all the others and this was my choice. I have the 1 & 3/4 sink. No regrets!!! Also, very glad I got the screens for the bottom of the sinks.

• cpovey
    16 years ago

CPVEY: The fact that Ticor sinks may be made in China, means what? That it is automatically junk? That it is glazed in lead? Or what?
    I have a Ticor sink. It's great! It's made of 16-gauge SS. It was much less expensive and every bit as nice as the highly recognized expensive "brand" name ones. I've not seen ONE report here of someone who bought a Ticor sink that didn't like theirs.

So what's the deal? Maybe you can expand on your statement?

I made a simple statement of fact.

Some people won't buy products made in China. Some prefer not to buy products made in China, but may in some circumstances. Some don't care, they just want the least expensive product.

I was just supplying a piece of information that seems absent from the website you provided a link to. Their website says that every sink is 'Italian designed', implying a tasteful design. But nowhere does the site mention the county of manufacture.

My question to you is: Why are you so upset about this information getting out? Is it supposed to be a secret?

• luisa_at_home
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How about Kindred? Anyone have a sink of this brand, or know anything about it?
    Thanks,
    Luisa

• teedup1
    16 years ago

It was not me who supplied a link to Ticor sinks, although I should have.

People are missing out on fine quality lineup of sinks if they don't include Ticor sinks as a possible choice in their selection consideration.

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

I've had a Kindred Big Single for 5 years & I love it.

• cpovey
    16 years ago

Kindred sinks are made in Canada, and because shipping is less expensive than shipping from Europe, they are, IMO, a good deal. Kindred is a division of Franke.

I have a Kindred and a Blanco in my kitchen. I prefer the finish on the Kindred.

• whyno
    16 years ago

Is it best to have the drain in the center, rear center or rear corner? Please explain. Thanks in advance...

• cpovey
    16 years ago

Is it best to have the drain in the center, rear center or rear corner? Please explain. Thanks in advance...

IMO, rear or rear corner drains are best. They provide a lot more space for other things below the sink, as the space behind the drain is essentially inaccessible, especially with a disposal.

In my case, I got a sink with a rear corner drain for my prep sink. In an 24" cabinet, I not only have the sink, I have a large disposal (1 HP), I also have a foot pedal controller for the faucet, and an air switch. I have (most importantly) a standard kitchen (13 gallon) trash can in the same cabinet. I store 3 one-gallon jugs of liquids, plus a couple of bottles of cleaning spray, all in a single 24" cabinet. I could not store half of that stuff, especially the vital trash can, if I had a center drain.

IMO, there is no downside to a rear or rear-corner drain, except that it is harder for the plumber to install it. The only thing to watch for is if there is enough space for a disposal, especially with a corner drain. The disposal is much larger in diameter than the drain itself would be.

• borngrace
    16 years ago

If you have the time, could you take a picture of your sink and of the inside of the cabinet so I can see how everything fits?

I am tryiing to figure out how to fit all my bells and whistles in my island and still have room to put stuff away -- if I could get the trash in the sink cabinet my life could be much better. Thanks

• cpovey
    16 years ago

borngrace,

Send me your e-mail and I'll see what I can do.

• cpanther95
    16 years ago

The problem with Chinese made sinks is that they only stay full for about an hour. :)

• dd70
    16 years ago

I have to be honest, I bought a Ticor about a month ago from GTS (not installed yet) it is a very good looking sink at a great price. I will say that if I would have known it was made in China I would have thought twice about buying it. Ever since I found out I have been a bit fearful (ok, how bout paranoid) of it containing lead. Lets face it, a lot of the products mfgd. there are not safe...look at all the recalls we have had.

• kaseki
    16 years ago

Thank you, cpanther95, for making my day.

kas

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz