Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fly_weight

If you were buying new kitchen ventilation.. what would you buy?

fly-weight
12 years ago

Based on your past experience.. what would you buy for a gas range?

Comments (12)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Budget?

• yebo
    12 years ago

Fly-weight,
    Your topic says ventilation and your message says range.
    I looked b/c of my kitchen vent. ?s.
    Likely you'll get more responses by correcting this, and in addition to budget, people often ask posters for what the venting situation is going to be and what the cooking is like (are you a baker? a routine cook, what?0

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I believe the OP means what vent would you buy for a gas range. Well at least that's how I interpret it.

I just bought a new hood with a motor (and a spare) that is made by Independent. They got excellent reviews here. Unfortunately the company went out of business but you can still find them through eBay and distributors who are trying to get rid of any leftover inventory. The guy I bought it from on eBay is "xtrainventory". I know others on here have used him too.

In my current kitchen I have a Viking pro chimney hood. It has a 1200cfm remote motor. It does a great job. Next house will have it vent out the wall right behind the range, no remote blower needed. I love the ease of cleaning the baffles.

Bee

• fly-weight
    Original Author
    12 years ago

AH..I see how my post is confusing..
    I will be cooking with gas, not electric. I do some Wok cooking and lots of canning, ie mosture from a canner will be released. There is NO BUDGET. I believe buy the best product you can. I want the unit to be QUIET and EASY to clean. While I have had a Faber for 14 years and it is easy to clean I cannot say that is it quiet.

• doc8404
    12 years ago

"No budget" - you sound eerily like my better half spends.

Well, in any case, I like Modern-Aire.

Quiet enough for me and cleaning the baffles is a snap. Just chuck them into the dishwasher.

• kaseki
    12 years ago

A brief repeat of the basics:

The hood should overhang the cooking zone such that a 45-degree expanding cone from each pot, wok, or pan is intercepted by the hood.

The flow rate (corrected for pressure losses) should be at least the aperture area (square feet) of the hood times 3 feet per second times some guess factor ( less than 1.0 ) that accounts for baffle effectiveness in increasing air velocity in the baffles close vicinity and for interior hood shape. Conservatism in performance would assume the factor is one, while conservatism in price and visual obtrusiveness would hope for 0.5, perhaps.

Actual flow rate for typical installations may be only 2/3 that for which the blower is rated at zero static pressure, even with an active make-up air system.

Duct size at full power should allow the air velocity to be 500 to 1500 feet per minute depending on, respectively, whether the ducting is in a warm environment or cold environment.

Make-up air always equals what gets out through the hood. The goal is to supply this without drawing it from wall switch covers, window seal leakage, and backdrafting of furnaces, hot water heaters, and fireplaces. For high flows this requires a system that is at a minimum passive, and at a maximum uses PID control to keep the house pressure constant at a very small negative pressure independent of fan speed or use of other fans, appliances, and fireplaces.

Although my hood is a Wolf, made by Independent, there have been several kudosi given to ModernAire on this forum, who will be happy to build a tailor-made configuration.

An external blower and intermediate silencer will minimize kitchen noise.

kas

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

No budget? Not a reality in my world, but if it were I'd go with the ModernAire with high cfms and external blower with silencer. It'd be gorgeous, suck like a beast, and do it ever so quietly.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

After researching our options for a BS 60" range, we decided on a Modernaire (custom) with Abbaka remote blower (1400 cfm) and silencer. We are doing a new build so we have to add conditioned make-up air which adds to the overall cost.

M

• fly-weight
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Has anyone ever seen or heard a futuro futuro running? I love the modern look of them, but really hard to find reviews? I think there was a post on here a while back but I cannot seem to find it?

Modern air only has one really contemporary style available, maybe I will have to consider it.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Modernaire will make u any hood u want - ur dream hood. We designed a hood to work with a two story volume kitchen. We are doing our hood in polished stainless and it is approx 5 ft tall x 66" wide.

• polie
    12 years ago

Modernaire seems to be the way to go, especially if you're not facing a budget constraint.

• kaseki
    12 years ago

The goal of kitchen ventilation is capture and containment. Without both functions, there is no effective removal of cooking effluent.

Images of modern kitchens put into magazines might be grouped into three categories: Those with no hood at all, those with a hood emphasizing aesthetics, often with curved glass surfaces, and those with a hood that looks like an aesthetically tolerable but generally physically intrusive commercial design.

No hood means no capture and no containment. These are poser kitchens intended to impress the caterers' delivery persons.

Small aperture hoods with larger swoopy glass canopies may succeed in capture if their canopies are large enough, but can fail at containment due to the inadequate volume of the canopy and inadequate shape of the canopy, leading to effluent curling back out of the hood. Such hoods will be inadequate for smoky or greasy cooking such as wokking.

Commercial hoods look the way they do because the design is effective. "Pro" residential hoods try to emulate this effectiveness while improving on their look.

If I intended to engage in serious cooking on a 60-inch range, I would want a seriously effective hood design overhead. I don't think a massive hood is out of scale over a massive range.

kas