Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anymacc

Are Ranges Really Worth It?

anymacc
11 years ago

So we're in process of buying our next home and DW is looking at what she wants to do the kitchen before we moved in. She randomly told me today she would rather get a "range" over the "Range" as in Range Rover for her daily car.

Then I learn she's come across LaCanche fangled ranges. Now I've done Wolf and Subzero etc. But these prices sound crazy. Then I've seem some of you speak of how they're a pleasure to cook on. Now I can appreciate finer things - like cars. Every time you drive some you get a feast for the senses. Sound, Smell of leather, acceleration, handling, fingers via steering feel and shift action etc.

But with Ranges its like - save for stronger BTU's than others a flame is a flame no? I'm like here's the burner (holding hand upside down like a dead spider) flame goes up, flame goes down. $1k or $15k. While I'd never spend only $1k wouldn't an Aga or some other $5k red or semi high end range do the same trick?

Really, how do all of you justify big $ on your ranges? is it some sort of female status symbol? Do tell? Btw, I'm not really ranting. But I am curious of whether the increased price is justifiable in some way.

Comments (32)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A range is a range in the same way a car is just a car.

The Range Rover is a good analogy to Lacanche.

A lot of good performance with a large premium for Euro snobbery.

Lacanche burners are nothing great. But there are some great options like a French top. There are other options that also have French tops and other options similar to Lacanche. But Lacanche does have great ovens.

"But with cars-save for stronger horsepower forward motion is forward motion no?" A Hyundai Excel well get you from a point A to point B the same way a supercharged $130k Range Rover will no ? How about a $70k Land Cruiser or $125K turbocharged Porche Cayenne? Maybe not the history but better bangs for the buck?

IMO the main reason people buy Lacanche is for the looks. In and of itself and how it fits the overall design of the kitchen. Is it a status symbol? Of course it is; every product in the super luxury class is a status symbol. But less so than a luxury car. Everyone will see the car whereas only people you invite into your home and kitchen will see the range. Everyone knows a big buck sports car or luxury car when they see it. Not everyone knows how much some of these ranges cost.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Do you have to drive in snowy or icy conditions on a regular basis? Down and up steep hills? Herd cattle with your vehicle? (I have done them all with my 1990 Range Rover.) I rarely have a need for 4W-drive anymore, so I would opt for the Lacanche, assuming it's one or the other. However, for the price of a new Range Rover, you could get a La Cornue. That would be my recommendation. But then, I think having an heirloom-worthy stove has very cool symbolism. I just don't have the same attachment to cars. I get the impression that most people feel differently.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Just do the Gelandewagen and get a Blue Star. And I don't mean the newer frou frou G-wagens either. I mean the old hose out interior climb any mountain ones that were more like the old Land Rovers than the Range Rovers. It's cruder, but does "the job" better than anything out there other than a tank. Utility chic is way cooler to me than having leather interiors and stereo surround sound. The Blue Star is the same. You can fancy it up with a pretty color, or a VERY pretty metal finish (like copper), but at it's heart, it's a basic beast that will get all of your kitchen jobs done. And, I think it's still "pretty" enough to appeal to those who have that as a primary criteria.

Professional hunky chef not included.

{{gwi:1383431}}

{{gwi:1383436}}

This post was edited by live_wire_oak on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 11:56

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

I'm at the point where I'd pay nearly any price for the perfect range! Seriously, though, once the money is spent, most of us actually have to cook on our ranges. That is where things like cleanability, burner placement, ease of moving the grates around, even baking in the oven, etc., etc., etc. come into play. If you are trying to prepare a large meal on four burners, and one of them is so weak that it can't do more than simmer, that's when you'll notice that there is really more to it than "flame goes up, flame goes down." It's one thing to have a beautiful showpiece in your kitchen, and that's something that I do appreciate, but if I can't cook on it and clean it with ease, it quickly loses it's appeal. If actually using that showpiece for a few months is going to ruin its beauty or irritate me because it doesn't function well, what's the point of buying it for its looks? Form is nothing without function.

• wekick
    11 years ago

Posted by anymac

Then I learn she's come across LaCanche fangled ranges.

I was so tempted to get one just because of the beautiful colors and the French build. Ahh but I needed big ovens.

But with Ranges its like - save for stronger BTU's than others a flame is a flame no? I'm like here's the burner (holding hand upside down like a dead spider) flame goes up, flame goes down.

There is a range of up and down. Some go more to the up side, higher than Lacanche and some further to the low side. Some have all the same size burners and some have a bouquet of burner sizes. Everybody has their preference.

Really, how do all of you justify big $ on your ranges? is it some sort of female status symbol? Do tell?

I think there is as much if not more testosterone involved in this.

Btw, I'm not really ranting. But I am curious of whether the increased price is justifiable in some way.

It might be or not. The are many happy LaCanche owners on this forum. Use the search to read what they have to say. I would just make sure if you cook, whatever range you buy that you understand what it does and doesn't do so that you will be happy in the long range. If you don't cook much then get what looks the best.

live_wire_oak-I love your analogy.

• anymacc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, what have I done... I shouldn't have mentioned cars LOL. Wrong analogy. Because cars often give so many different sensations DIRECTLY to the driver that often cannot be duplicated on the cheap. Acceleration can be done cheap. But handling often cannot. Nor can ride composure of a well sorted chassis and suspension. Then when you add all - handling, yet smooth ride, sound deadening (think 100mph and no wind noise), pedigreed sound for the ears like Aston, Jag, Ferrari that no fartcan muffler can duplicate and of course looks there is definitely an EXPERIENCE that is directly FELT.

Problem with Range is that unless you are going to be the frog in the pot, you don't directly feel the incremental spend. So I think the best analogy is a fine watch. Your wrist doesn't FEEL anything different - other than more weight depending on the watch. And the time isn't kept any better than a Timex. But we may spend thousands or tens of thousands because of how they look, the bespoke craftsmanship and of course the status they bring.

However, to someone's point - most people can't tell a $8k range from a $20k one. But most people DO recognize a Rolex. That's about the only brand that recognizable to avg folks. Most other watches people don't whether $5k or $25k so this analogy fits best.

I will say that what I do like about you guys getting all getty about ranges is that the result of your getty-ness is more delicious home cooked meals. And few things feel more cozy and love-ish than home cooking. Draws families together etc. So in this respect I suppose your shallow, status-y vain penchant for luxury ranges carries more substance than our shallow, status-y vain penchant luxury time-piece! DW wins.

But on that note, all my watches are south of $10k which is about midrange. So here range should be that as well. I don't have a $30k-$150k Patek, Audimars or Frank Mueller. So what range represents the same - Above Wolf but not crazy?

• flevy
    11 years ago

I have a Changy 1400. Was it worth it? Well, it fits right in with the kitchen. The kitchen we built would have dwarfed a standard GE range. It just would have looked out of place. So once I knew we were in the realm of Viking, Wolf, Bluestar, I started to look around. For me, I didn't like the look of the big stainless range. That ruled out Wolf. And the jury is still out on the long term performance of Viking. So I ruled that out. That left me with CC and BS. I looked at them in the showroom and they were okay. They didn't stop my heart though. When I saw the LaCanche, it took my breath away. I got hooked up to visit a range locally and I was totally blown away. I can't explain it; it was just a desire that had nothing to do with cooking.

Now that it is installed, I love, love, love my range. It is perfect for my family. And because I love to cook on it, my family has been enjoying more gourmet foods, my kids are trying new foods, and the heart of the home has really moved to the kitchen. My kids are 5 and 2. When I get everyone home from school, I need to make dinner and pack lunches for the next day. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The range makes mundane tasks likes making mac & cheese fun. It just makes me smile to look at.

I will admit that the small ovens take some getting used to. The truth is for a family of 4, there is no portion size that I cook that is so large that it doesn't fit. But what doesn't fit are my standard size American pans. I'm slowly replacing them. But it does stink not to just be able to buy a pan and know without a doubt it will fit in the oven.

So was it worth it? Honestly, no. The range itself was not worth the cost. But to make a cohesive kitchen and to bring my family into the kitchen to spend time with me because that's where I have to be....that's worth it to me.

PS....we're only in this house for 16 more years....I told DH that that worked out to about $1k/yr for the range. So ummm, no, honestly, from a pure monetary standpoint, not worth it. But I would do it again in a heartbeat :)

• crl_
    11 years ago

For me? No. But I would be choosing to dip into the emergency fund to spend $$$ on a range. Or I would be choosing to save less for my kids' college. Or. . . . Well, you get the idea. The $$$ ranges are not realistically in my budget.

Now, if I were choosing between a luxury car or a luxury range, I might well choose the range. I don't drive much anyway (I walk as much as possible and drive maybe twice a week) and I do cook, though not fabulously, everyday. But if someone has a long commute and comes home just to microwave a frozen dinner, well, then the car would make more sense.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

A range is not like a watch.

A $200 atomic wristwatch can tell time better than a $1M tourbillon.

An $800 range can not cook as well as an $8k range. Not all dishes benefit from a superior range but many do.

A better range offers a greater spectrum of power from its burners from very low to very high ,better heat evenness, and better build quality. Not to mention the superior consistency and evenness of the ovens.

IMO when it comes to performance

1)Molteni Custom French range you are looking at $25K plus.
    There are other micro brands in the same class but might as well get Molteni in this price range.

2)Capital Culinarian or Bluestar RNB.

Capital has a bit more power and evenness and optional self-clean oven and motorized rotisserie. A bit better fit and finish. Eight custom colors. Just made a whole beef tenderloin on my Culinarian rotisserie tonight. Fantastic.

Bluestar- Offers a bit lower simmer ,a French top, French doors, cool standard grates than can be used as a wok grate, and any custom color you want.

Wolf offers optional electric ovens. Gas ovens are good but no better than Capital. The burners are mediocre. There is nothing special about their "dual stacked burners." Although they go down to a very low btu rating their evenness leaves much to be desired.

• cj47
    11 years ago

"cars often give so many different sensations DIRECTLY to the driver that often cannot be duplicated on the cheap. Acceleration can be done cheap. But handling often cannot. ...there is definitely an EXPERIENCE that is directly FELT. "

It's a matter of what's important to you. You obviously love cars, and you relish the entire experience. My husband is an audiophile, and the way his stereo equipment functions and feels is important to him. He hears differences in sound quality that I'd never pick up on if he didn't point them out. The way the knobs feel, the cable connections, the cartridge on his turntable, the differences between recordings on vinyl and CDs...he talks about sound and equipment the way you talked about the driving experience. I love to cook. I relish having a cooktop that can hold a true simmer on a pot of stock as well as get hot enough to put a good sear on a piece of meat. Often, cheap cooktops can do neither. The controls on a nice range feel good in your hands, or if you have induction, as I do, the controls respond promptly, and the positive and precise control is gratifying. Yes, there is flame on, and flame off on a gas range--but there are degrees of heat in between, and how easily you can get there and how evenly that heat level is maintained make a difference. Ovens that are spot-on in their temperature calibration, and that hold that temperature precisely throughout the cooking process, evenly browning food and producing beautiful results consistently, these are very satisfying things to a person that enjoys cooking.

I love to cook, and I spend a lot of time in my kitchen, using my equipment. I chose appliances within my budget that give me a feeling of satisfaction when I use them, because they do what I want them to without fuss. And they do them moderately elegantly, because I had a moderate budget (by GW standards). A LaCanche or LeCornue will perform well, but will also perform very elegantly and will absolutely make a status statement in your home.

I hope your wife enjoys the new range, whichever one she picks.

Cj

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

I'm thinking you aren't a cook here. Because using a good quality range with high BTUs and low simmer and enough space for everything certainly IS a sensual experience! You get direct and responsive input from the flame adjustment. You feel the heat change yourself! You hear the sizzle of the steak and smell the caramelization that makes it so yummy!

I'm not saying that a 14K range makes a poor cook into a better one any more than a F40 Ferrarri makes Grandma into a track star at a solo event. But, if Grandma already loves driving, and gets a bit of experience under her belt, you bet that the Ferrari makes a huge difference in the times she puts down around the cones!

So, if you or your wife enjoy eating well, having a great tool in your own home to create your own great meals can turn into a family passion for producing excellence. You might like it more than you think for yourself! Fire! Firepower! Sexy Shiny Metal! (Insert Tim Allen ape-like grunting here.)

• anymacc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Next question is what do we do if we want gas but only have propane tank. Anyone have some perspective whether propane is cheaper or more expensive monthly than natural gas?

• relic
    11 years ago

Get induction and be done wih it.

• cj47
    11 years ago

The OP's wife was looking at a Lacanche, so she's also seeing her range as decor, and perhaps a status symbol. Induction is fabulous to cook on, but the Lacanche is really in a whole 'nuther realm with regard to decor....

Cj

This post was edited by cj47 on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 11:30

• relic
    11 years ago

If you can call those ugly things decor.

I have never gotten the idea of turning a kitchen into behind the counter at Steak 'N Shake.

No offense intended, but that is always what it looks like to me.

• wekick
    11 years ago

I am going to the wrong Steak and Shake

• xedos
    11 years ago

"An $800 range can not cook as well as an $8k range"

I beg to differ, it all depends on the skill of the cook !

Now, you may get a more pleasurable experience using the higher priced appliance and you may not, but heat is heat and that's what these things do.

Hey mac - I am a bit confused now - you have several watches that cost btw $5,000 and $10,000 and obviously like $75k + cars but...............................

you are now concerned about the cost of propane relative to natural gas ??? This is silly. How would anyone here know what your gas co. charges per therm or what a gallon of propane costs in your neighborhood ? Then you want us to do the math too ?

Perhaps you should take a personal finance course before you are unable to put premium gas in your luxury car or pay for the yearly cleanings on that watch collection.

You may also want to enlist the services of a local designer that can get to know you before telling you what to like and then tell you how to spend your money - instead of complete strangers from the internet.

This discussion is just a bit too weird !

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Oh, gawd. Are we baiting self-styled progressives (like me)? I'm not on quite as much of a rant as Xedos and live_wire_oak, but I am feelling a bit baited.

Well. let me just say that if you don't like car or jewelry analogies, how about haute couture? Would I buy and wear a $10,000 suit? Nah. I'd look ridiculous and feel extremely uncomfortable in it. (Actually, I'd be afraid to wear it for fear of damaging, staining, etc.) Somebody else could look fabulous and really enjoy it. Would it be worth it to them?

You want sensual and aesthetic justifications for that kind of purchase? Find the thread "Mama Aga survives Molteni saga." Or check out Luv2Putt's thread entitled "Racing Red Induction." It is about his Viking induction range. He has as eloquent an explantion of getting what you want as I've heard since a boss of mine decided he "needed" a Ferrari. He finally copped to "because I just want it." (Ooops, back to car analogies. Sorry.)

Shucks, if you want pro-style and want to say you don't care about the stylin' aspects, get an NXR from Costco. If you want gorgeous looks and nifty induction features, get the Viking induction stove. Lots of fans here and an apparently pretty decent reputation for reliability, unlike some of Viking's products. (We'll have to see what happens with that after the Middlebury group's recent acquisition, though.) Are you asking one of us to say, "oh my, if you have really highly refined elite tastes, nothing else comes close?" Ain't gonna happen.

It's like buying houses. Maybe I'm perfectly happy with a century-old miner's house in a mountain resort town, driving an old 2.2 ltr. Subaru. You want to live on a beach and drive a Range Rover. You've got the money and the desire? Why do you care whether old-sensible-shoes me thinks your choices are "worth it?"

Here's another analogy. Maybe I've got some Winslow Homer prints hanging on the walls of my house. You and your wife want to buy couple of original Winslow Homer oils. Is it worth it for you two to buy the original art? Beats me. It's your choice.

At least with the paintings, you can argue that they are an investment and may provide appreciation. Some people think that a fabulous looking stove will make their residence more valuable. I suppose there are some houses and neighborhoods where that might be true. To me, it sounds like trying to rationalize from "because I want it" to "I don't really want it and I'm only getting this fabulous thing because I have to."

Okay, rant over.

Seems to me that if your wife likes the bling and you don't, we cannot say anything that than can help you out of that jam. Except for budgetary limitations, there is no arguing with personal aesthetics. You (or we) can say what we like about true cooking performance and needs, and it does not meet the argument "because I really want it" or "because I really like it." THose arguments/desires are not based on "it makes a big difference to how we do x."

So, in the immortal words of Richard Nixon to John Mitchell, "better you than me." Good luck.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 22:09

• anymacc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought I said "not really ranting" in my post. I don't mind the wife liking a nice range. And I even want something nice in the kitchen. I was sincerely trying to understand if there really is an appreciable difference between a nice range and stratospheric ones.

The part about wondering whether propane is more or less is a valid question. Just because one indulges in a nice item here and there doesn't mean he wants to be raked over the coals on a recurring basis. For all I knew propane as a general rule was 2x the operating cost. No idea - hence the question.

Boy, some of you hang out here for fun and can engage in harmless banter and others of you really have a chip on your shoulder!

JWVideo thank you for references to the other posts. Will make sure wife checks them out!

• hill4
    11 years ago

Propane? I have used electric, gas and propane ranges; propane would definitely be my LAST choice. I felt like I was camping - whenever the tank got low, the flame quickly diminished and the mercaptan odour became stronger. The range also had problems with residue from the propane building up in the pipes, and somehow it just was not like cooking on city gas. My range was basic (although it was new) and I am not sure of the quality of the propane (was in Middle East); perhaps you would have no issues with high end products, but you might want to investigate a bit before deciding.

• anymacc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is precisely the type of insight we'll need to consider when looking at propane. Wonder if the issues are the same here in the states...

This post was edited by anymac on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 9:26

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Energy costs for cooking run about 6% of your total household energy costs. Even were propane double the cost of natural gas, it's still negligible when compared to your HVAC costs or lighting your space or running the Volkswagen bus sized refrigerator that goes along with a giant range.

Now, BTUs for a propane set up range are less than for a natural gas one. How much less depends on the brand and exactly what they do to convert the range from one to the other. What you DON'T want is to try to run a natural gas range on propane or you will have all kinds of issues. (Much like those that Hill4 describes above.) Ask the prospective suitors about their particular specs for propane vs. natural gas.

And, do take a look at Viking's induction range if propane only is available. I'd put two of thos suckers side by side (a LOT of electrical requirements though) and forgo the propane unless you have lots of power outages in your area. You'll have more capability, although less FIRE.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Propane costs vary by region, so my experience may not be yours. I have had no problem with impurities here in Central Texas. Propane is about $2.50 per gallon. Mercaptan is added and settles to the bottom so that when the tank is nearing empty you will know it and have it refilled. It's a safety precaution as without it propane is odorless. In my locale, electricity is the most expensive, natural gas is the least, and propane is a bit more than natural gas. However, natural gas lines do not go out to my rural area, so the choice is electric or propane. I chose the latter, and received some rebates for doing so, since propane is drilled and refined in-state. I fully understand that both initial expenditures and ongoing costs factor into decision making. I have a beast of a propane stove (60", commercial) and am not sure I could get accustomed to more usual, sealed burner, lower BTU ranges, even though I do have an additional 30" cooktop with sealed burners. It's mostly visitors who use that one. I really don't like sealed burners for the way the flame curves out and around, especially when I use small pans. I also prefer that my range not dictate to me where I can place my pots. Your wife may not mind these things. Many do not. It seams all the prettiest residential ranges, e.g., La Cornue, Lacanche, and AGA, have sealed burners and variously-sized burners. BlueStar has open ones and is about as beast-like as you can get in a residential range. So, for me, one of the questions that needs answering is how important is that gasp-this-is-beautiful sensation every time you walk into the kitchen relative to that wow-this-stove-performs-beautifully-and-reliably sensation every time you cook on it.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 10:00

• xedos
    11 years ago

trying to understand if there really is an appreciable difference between a nice range and stratospheric ones.

Yes, there is - just like there are differences in the automobiles and watches mentioned. You, the end use have to decide whether those differences are meaningful enough to pay the xtra cost.

I still fail to see how the price difference in the fuel is really meaningful. I understand you not wanting to get gouged, but really, how much is an oil change on a Range Rover ? How much for a Ford Focus? How much for either one at Quickie Lube? Hint RR = most = Ford = 25% less and Q Lube is about 50% less than that.

Does the fact that the RR dealership charges more than QL discourage you from getting one even for a second ? Does the fact that you'll have to pay for maint. or gas weigh into your decision to buy a car in the first place ???

As live wire has pointed out - the cost for filling up a range ( high end or not ) is a drop in the bucket compared to your other energy expenses or the cost of the range to begin with.

You should get the range that makes you happiest to look and and makes you want to cook, the gas or electric costs shouldn't factor into it.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Anymac:

I was not suggesting that you were ranting but, rather, that the replies are.

Most of us would say that there are no major functional benefits to the most expensive stoves and that folks buy them for the same reasons they buy expensive jewelry, clothing, cars, etc.

• eandhl
    11 years ago

If the only use for Propane is the cooking device then it is very reasonable. I have been cooking daily for the past 2 months on 20% and it hasn't gone down. Now a generator does use substantial propane but worth it.

• elyash
    11 years ago

In your post, I didn't see a mention of your wife's
    cooking needs. I am an interior designer as well as an avid cook. The ranges you are referencing have an exquisite appearance and they definitely make a statement. I spent a year investigating CC and Blue Star and was torn between them. In the end, I opted for induction and I love it! I have a contemporary home and the electrolux fits in beautifully and cooks to perfection. The induction burners adjust temperature in a split second. I can melt butter and leave it on the burner for hours without it burning. I can saute and sear meat just the way I want it.The oven temperature is reliable and my cakes are cooked to perfection. That being said, would I want a LaCanche? Absolutely - because I know I would utilize many of its features - I would love to have a french top, a grill etc. Having one would allow me to experiment with different facets of cooking - and who wouldn't love to have 9 burners? The LaCanche I would assume would out last a Range Rover (but then I know nothing about cars.) So, if your wife loves to cook - I would say go for it. If she wants it for appearance and or status - that is a choice you make. Some people choose $10,000 dining room tables and $2,000 chairs. Whatever your decision - just enjoy your choice and have no regrets!

• Why_not_me
    11 years ago

What price a happy wife, anymac!

If your DW (Dear Wife, not Dish Washer, lol) would like a high-quality pretty range, then do get one. If she's at all interested in food and cookery, I think you'll both really enjoy it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't abide the look of Thermador, Wolf, et al - to me they look pretend (think Range Rover vs 1960s Land Rover) but I do like Bluestar very much; go figure.

Most people who are good cooks can cook any dish beautifully on any grotty little cooking appliance; most people who are bad cooks can ruin any dish on any idiot-proof cooking appliance.

The rest of us fall somewhere in between, obviously enough.

I'd say, don't be swayed by BTUs, do think about maintenance $ and accessibility (not so many service people in N America to service the gorgeous French ranges). Also remember that bigger ranges mean you need bigger range-hoods....

We're getting a Bluestar - love LOVE the Lacanche ranges, and the price imo is very reasonable for the versatility and charm they offer, but no service person within 500 miles of us, so that was the heart-breaking deal-breaker. Also LOVE Aga, but their reliability isn't, and again, no service person in our area. They do look nice, though. ;)

And, we're stuck with propane, which is fine - we have a reliable supplier of quality propane, which I should think is the norm in N America, perhaps less so in less prosperous countries.

• strickon
    11 years ago

You have another option. That is a range top with a separate single or double oven. This can be cheaper and more utilitarian than a range. I am building a house now and got a bluestar rangetop and the miele double oven. That would cost the same or less than most higher end ranges like Wolf, Bluestar, Thermador etc. If you have the space, it could be an option. I also only have the option of propane and have the electric oven.

You could get a nice high btu range top and and really good electric oven. I got a good deal on most of my appliances but there are some alternate ovens that people on here seem to like such as the Wolf E series or the Gaggenaus.

• Why_not_me
    11 years ago

strickon - what size of Bluestar range top did you go with? Where we are, that's a much more expensive option, fwiw.

• noopd
    11 years ago

wow, there are a lot of comments here.

Are Ranges Really Worth it? If you have to ask the question, it's probably not worth it to you. Does a watch worth $1000 when you can tell time with your phone? Does it worth $10,000? Worth is a very subjective thing and it really depends on the person.

I think first thing you want to ask is what do you need. Ranges are not all the same and if you don't like cooking, it's is a lot harder for you to tell the difference. Do you need power? consitency? great simmer? do you bake a lot? pastry or thanks giving turkey? Do you spend hours making sauces? Or do you do wok stir fry..

If you know what you need, then it's a lot easier to get the right range for your need.

btw.. I love range rover. The new RR autobiograph is so posh that it starts at 130k. It's not worth it to me.. but probably to a lot of people. I'll take a defender anytime. Right now, I love my LR4.

• dan1888
    11 years ago

It may be worth it for its looks to your wife. But it doesn't come close for quality of cooking appliance.
    How can you check? Not on this forum. Check the equipment of the top chefs worldwide. That range will not be present. Their kitchens all run on induction. It's about the food not the range. Induction uses electricity, so no propane needed.