Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellessebee_gw

Any recent feedback on Thermador Freedom Induction?

ellessebee
11 years ago

I'm about to plunk down a pretty penny for a Thermador Freedom Induction cooktop and I wanted to get a reality check before I do it. I saw it in a store yesterday for the first time but i have drooled over the "concept" since I first learned about it. I can't say I really saw it in action since the dealer only had one pot but the idea is so sexy. I tend not to use my cooktop all that much - because I have a regular Thermador smoothtop electric cooktop now and hate electric cooking. When I do use the cooktop, it's generally in 1 or 2 large pots or pans, rarely something small so I'm more likely to continue use fewer but larger cookware. I am determined to make the move to induction and am the kind who lusts after new technology when I think it might be useful - or at least fun. (I bought one of the first Apple Macintosh computers when it first came out, oh so many years ago.) However, this Freedom is so expensive - so I'd really like to hear what other early adopters have to say. By the way, for what its worth, I was told by an "appliance consultant" that the stainless rim everyone seems to dislike is actually desirable because it prevents chipped edges. I must admit I prefer rimless but did see more than one chipped edge at various dealers -- plenty of scratched stainless trim too, though.

Comments (36)

• renton123
    11 years ago

I'm also looking for feedback on this cooktop. Let me know if you hear anything or, if you did decide on it, how your experience is so far

• dan1888
    11 years ago

AEG MaxiSense is similar at a much more reasonable UK price. CE certification includes US standards. One quarter the cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: MaxiSense with bridging

• EatToLive
    11 years ago

I recently made the plunge and bought the Thermador Freedom cooktop, in November, 2012. And I love it.

Moving from an electric coil cooktop, the speed at which the induction heats up is incredible - seconds to see the bubbles starting to form, on boost. I've never used the zoned induction, which I had imagined would show initial bubbles spread evenly over the bottom of the pan. On the Freedom, I get bubbles associated with what appears to be each mini coil that is activated. The pattern is not anything resembling the shape of the pan, often more of a squiggly line, but is clearly getting the job done.

The dimension of the cook area is 28 1/2"w X 18"d minus a 10"w X 4 1/2"d rectangle in the front center for the controls. This means that the largest diameter round pan can be 13 1/4". After contacting Thermador about the largest rectangular pan, they said the largest they tested was 13" X 21", but saw no reason why a pan wider than 21" wouldn't work.

Pans work anywhere on the surface, as advertised. It's lovely. The heat and timer settings on a pan can easily be transferred to a new location if the the pan is moved. A max of four pans can be used at a time and a max of two per side (left & right).

The controls work fine, though they do not work as quickly as turning knobs. I especially wish there were a faster way to turn the heat down faster on individual pans. It is best to be patient with the controls. They usually register the first time I touch, which takes about a second of continuous touch, but can take two or three attempts to register, especially when I'm in a hurry.

The alarm sound that rings at the end of a timer sequence has very low volume. Don't count on hearing it unless you are in the same room and there is no other sound.

The metal rim was not my first choice since it involves two edges to clean, but I tell myself that it will prevent any chipping around the edges.

The cooking/control surface is so easy to clean! Just wipe and dry. I absolutely love that. Because the surface stays cooler, it doesn't seem to have the same propensity of getting stained with burned food, as does a smooth top electric cooktop. But, my cooktop is only a few months old and I am still very careful to keep the surface clean whenever I use it.

I also use caste iron and am very careful not to slide it, so no scratches, yet, either.

The sound of the cooktop is silent with some exceptions. When I use the boost feature, there is some sound, but is not a big deal, as it is not louder than boiling water. As long as I use cookware that is appropriate, there is no sound. My steamer pot, while magnetic, does not have a flat bottom. There is a noise associated with that, but it still works.

• caliente63
    11 years ago

A little searching would have found you a very recent and very detailed explanation of the Thermador Freedom on these forums (link below).

The AEG MaxiSense has four zones; it is not as flexible as the Thermador (and its Gaggenau twin), because you must cover the cross in a zone to use that zone. The AEG has fixed touch controls for the four zones instead of the super cool (but maybe fragile) touchscreen of the Thermador/Gaggenau. And, of course, there is the issue that you will have difficulty getting it serviced in N. America, and no warranty (unless you want to ship it back to Europe).

If you want rimless (I would), the Gaggenau is rimless for even more money (a few hundred $$ more, I believe). The Gaggenau is also not as wide as the Thermador - the working area is exactly the same, but Gaggenau doesn't feel the need to pad the width out to 36" with dead area and trim for marketing purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Detailed thread on Thermador Freedom

This post was edited by Caliente63 on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 20:55

• riveroakgirl
    10 years ago

Hey EatToLive - thank you for the excellent feedback. i am planning to get the Freedom Induction with a 15" Wolf multifunction gas burner next to it. I'm curious what hood system you decided to go with? Thanks!

• EatToLive
    10 years ago

My kitchen already had a downdraft system. It was simplest to stick with that. But, I had to replace the downdraft. So, I went with the Dacor 15" raised vent. Oddly, Dacor works with my older Thermadore exterior fan (a downdraft works in conjunction with a fan), but a new Thermador downdraft was not compatible.

The 15" raised vent works great because the vent is above the top of my tallest pot. As long as the vent is above the tops of the pots, it works great. My old 8" raised vent couldn't handle the spagetti/steamer pots.

The only downside to the downdraft is when I take the lid off of a big pot with lots of steam. The fan, even on high, cannot pull in all the steam of the initial billow. However, I didn't purchase the strongest downvent available, so that may be a factor. I don't cook with oil, so I did not anticipate a heavy duty need in ventilation.

• lk31952
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I was a confirmed induction lover. My first was a hybrid Thermador model and only used the induction side. It was easy to purchase the Freedom for my new kitchen, except for the price. It has not lived up to my expectations and not worth the investment. The controls are frustratingly slow. Turn it on, wait for it to sense the pot and then slide the sensor to the temperature you want. When you are busy and have a lot of cooking to do the extra time is difficult. I have also found it to be slower in heating and does not get as hot as my previous induction. The ability to use oval pots and position them conveniently is a plus. I have the rimless 36" model and have had no problems with scratching or cracking of the edges. It has a sleek look in my contemporary kitchen. Overall, I would not have purchased this model if I had it to do over.

• larryfl
    7 years ago

HI , i am trying to decide between the thermador freedom and the gaggenau cx491 they look like they are pretty much the same machines other then cosmetic and user interface? anyone have experience with both and which user interface is better to use? the gaggenau has a simpler looking UI and numbers scroll up down instead of left right like the freedom....

thoughts?

also whats the consensus on these expensive induction tops? are they worth the extra money over the others?

• smm5525
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Have you tested them? We looked at the freedom induction but decided the price is too hefty for only 4 burners. We found it pretty easy to control but have nothing to compare it to. I would test both out and see what is easier for you.

• larryfl
    7 years ago
    I haven't seen the gaggenau powered up only the Thermador

I am trying to figure out which user interface is better/easier/faster to use as setting the power level has a different ui.

I have also read some mixed reviews but they may just be old or the few Thad had issues
  • tedbixby
    6 years ago

Anyone have any up-dates to share regarding their experience with their high end induction cook-top? I'm looking at the Thermador Freedom but what reviews are out there aren't too encouraging.

• Jenny
    5 years ago

HI all, Love this thread and would love to get your thoughts! I'm looking to either get a Thermador Freedom or a Bosch Benchmark (they just came out with a newer version) cooktop. I was leaning towards the Thermador Freedom cooktop, but after reading about some of the reliability issues on the Freedom, I was discouraged and now thinking about the Bosch.

A few things, I was considering: 1) I cook a ton with my cast iron rectangular skillet, so I like that both have the option to cook on a wider service, 2) I am a new induction stove user (have an old Thermador electric stove that just broke), so looking for something that is easy to use and others (like my mom) won't have any issues with using, 3) Reliability - If I am paying double for the Thermador, is it reliable or will it break down on me/have issues after a few years? Or will the Bosch Benchmark be more reliable?

Would love to get anyone's thoughts on either of these two units/brands. Thanks in advance!

• uscpsycho
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Just seeing this thread and even though it's old, Jenny asked for feedback a few months ago and may still be looking for info.

I have the Thermador Freedom and based on the customer service I have received, and malfunctioning connectivity features, I wouldn't recommend it. I don't want to repeat myself but I've shared my experience with Thermador here - https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5856458/thermador-customer-service-is-terrible

• kevinande
    4 years ago

uscpsycho

A few points, first this thread is 7 years old, I would like to believe that the OP has made a decision one way or the other as to weather or not they were going to purchase this appliance.

Second I agree with you 100% that Thermador should not have given you the run around. They should have done more to resolve your issue, or simply admitted they had no idea how to resolve it. You paid for something in particular and you expect it to function as advertised, trust me I get it.

Where they may be some disagreement is in the quality and/or reliability of the appliance in question. Most people want to know if the function that the appliance was designed to do, cook in this case is it reliable at doing so? Have there been any malfunctions or breakdowns related to that activity. Does the manufacturer fail in customer service related to the basic functions of the appliance. I believe those are the types of things people are looking for when they ask if an appliance is reliable or worth the purchase. For many that appliance is quite an investment and they would be more concerned with the basic functionality of the appliance. Can they reliably prepare a meal for their family each day, rather than if the cooktop can communicate properly with the hood. Just food for thought.

• uscpsycho
    4 years ago

This thread is really old, but someone just asked about this cooktop a few months ago, so I was responding for that person's benefit. And also, this thread comes up in searches, so it's for the benefit of anyone who is looking for information in the future. Even though the thread is old, people will still read it even if no longer relevant to the OP.

I understand that people are more interested in their ability to cook than the connectivity of their cooktop or hood. But no appliance is 100% reliable, all appliances have bad samples. Unfortunately, I've had more than my fair share. My warning isn't that Thermador appliances suck. My warning is that when you need service, you're going to have all kinds of problems. I had been quite happy with my Thermador appliances until I now.

Every Thermador support number leads to the same call center, and I'm convinced it's not a call center but one woman who takes all incoming calls. This woman is overconfident in her knowledge of all these appliances and in her ability to dispense correct information. You tell her the issue and then she looks it up in the manual and explains it away. Maybe she tries to ask someone else for information but won't let you talk to anyone else. She is a customer service dead end and refuses to escalate calls. I once got so frustrated I resorted to foul language and I'm not the type of person to throw out profanities at people on the phone. That was before I even bought it, when I needed clarification about one of the specs. She kept giving me incorrect information because she didn't understand the question, but she insisted she was right and wouldn't let me ask anyone else. That should have been a warning.

I've had the misfortune of having to deal with Miele, Subzero, Whirlpool and Thermador customer service and technical support. Miele and SZ are top notch, always going above and beyond to solve issues. SZ couldn't fix an issue with my freezer column so they offered to replace BOTH the fridge and freezer columns with current models (mine are discontinued). Amazing. Whirlpool and Thermador are the polar opposite. I feel like they just shrug their shoulders and give me the finger. They have my money and the warranty is only worth the paper its printed on.

• yalemichmom
    3 years ago

I REALLY appreciate this thread and any updates added. I’m looking at same brands. Thought I was set on the Thermador Freedom, but despite possible customer service issues, I’m not sure I’ll like the burner control window. I am, naturally, attracted to its “Freedom” surface, but not if it comes with headaches. I also am probably going to be forced into a 30 inch cooktop (sigh), so I thought the Freedom would help with the smaller footprint for various pan and pot sizes—we usually only use one or two at a time. We have a Miele diswasher and love it, so I certainly am attracted to Miele, but I know the price is much higher.

• uscpsycho
    3 years ago

I love my Freedom cooktop!

As I mentioned a few posts up, I had some serious issues with their customer service but after a lot of headaches they finally offered some resolution. Not perfect because they wouldn't replace my hood with a working unit, which is what I would have preferred, but they compensated me for what doesn't work. All explained in detail in the thread I linked above.

I suspect the connectivity between hood and cooktop is so flawed they can't guarantee a replacement would work as expected, which is why a replacement was not offered. But the cooktop on its own is fantastic.

• Manda_Rack
    3 years ago

@Jenny I'm currently trying to decide between those exact two models. Do you mind sharing which one you chose and how you like it?

• Mikey
    3 years ago

@Yalemichmom and Manda_Rick, I am also looking at the 30" Thermador CIT30XWBB. I am not sure if Gaggenau offers their model in a 30". I know that appliance lead time is long. Does anyone know what the current lead time for ordering is?

• uscpsycho
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have the 36" Thermador Freedom and love it. Assuming the 30" is the same but for the size, I am happy to answer questions. I am a picky person and I have no regrets with the cooktop.

I do get frustrated with the touchscreen sometimes but touchscreen has its benefits too, and it's not so bad I ever want to smash it with a frying pan or anything like that. The communication issues between the cooktop and hood make me want to smash everything! :-/ So that's my only warning, plus the huge headache to get Thermador to finally pseudo-resolve my issues. That wasn't fun. (Explained in detail in another thread if interested.)

But I love the Freedom and don't ever want a different cooktop. Just hoping it proves to be reliable, time will tell.

• Mikey
    3 years ago

Thanks for your comments. I do not believe the 30" is equipped with the ventilation that rises up from behind the cooktop.

• uscpsycho
    3 years ago

I didn't know Thermador had that style of vent but I do not have it. I don't think any cooktops are "equipped" with that. Last I checked (several years) that was a very expensive option in the $5K range but I don't believe from Thermador, I think it was JennAir.

• Manda_Rack
    3 years ago

@Mikey I went with the Thermador (so glad to hear you love yours, @uscpsycho!), but you are correct that appliance lead times are very long right now across the board. I talked to several places that didn't have the 30" Thermador Freedom in stock - estimated delivery dates there were mid-February. I ordered mine just yesterday through my local Ferguson. They had a handful in stock and I'll receive it next Friday.

• Mikey
    3 years ago

@Manda_Rack. I contacted Ferguson yesterday. What a pain to deal with. All their showrooms are open on appointment only and when you call, you speak to someone who asks a bunch of questions but does not give you product availability.

• Manda_Rack
    3 years ago

@Mikey. Sorry to hear that. That wasn’t my experience at all. Want me to reach out to the guy I’m working with and connect you? I’m not sure how they operate- if he’d refer you to your local showroom or not, but I’m happy to try if you like. I’m in Illinois, btw.

• Mikey
    3 years ago

@Manda_Rack, thanks for your offer. I'm in New Jersey and I went over to Barry's Appliance in the same town as the Bridgewater Ferguson's. They said they had one 30" Freedom in their warehouse so I grabbed it. I am waiting for confirmation since computer inventories are never 100% accurate. Will keep you posted. - Mikey

• Manda_Rack
    3 years ago

That’s great news! Fingers crossed it’s yours and we’ll be commenting on how much we love our new cooktops soon!

• Mikey
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Manda_Rack, The store called me on the day of the installation to tell me that the cooktop was received at the store with the cooking surface smashed. Barry's Appliance were very nice about this and went out of their way to secure a replacement. Furthermore, Thermador does not know when the Thermador CIT30XWBB will be available so the only thing I can do is to get on line and wait for production to ramp up again. I called Ferguson and a few other local stores and got the same story about availability.

• dan1888
    3 years ago

Someday the full surface Miele units will become available in the US. 1-1/2 years of availability in Europe. Info on the UK site. Here. Gotta happen sometime.

• Manda_Rack
    3 years ago

@Mikey Ferguson called me last week to tell me the Thermador inventory numbers are all screwed up and I would not be receiving my cooktop. They too are being very helpful about presenting other options, but I am disappointed nonetheless. I'm not sure what to do yet... hold out until February with a half done kitchen and hope I end up getting the Thermador I want, or settle for something else. The replacement that Barry's was able to get for you - what was it?

• Mikey
    3 years ago

@dan1888, that would work for me as well. It is the KM7678FL that I am referring to.

• Mikey
    3 years ago

Barry's was unable to get another replacement of the same model. see dan1888's comment above. I like that Miele unit and that would work as well since the voltage is the same. I'm in the same boat you're in. I have a radiant heat Thermador installed now and that works fine for the time being.

Designer Appliance in Bedminster NJ shows a Thermador CIT36XWB in stock but I need a 30".

• Gurpreet Bakshi
    last year

I love this thread. I have been searching high and low for information on Thermador since the few I found on Facebook were primarily negative. I want to buy the Thermador Freedom 36 inch cooktop and reading at all the reviews is very positive, well except for the connectivity with the hood and long wait times. Also, i am assuming here that cooktop can be used without the hood as well? The last comment on this was a year ago. Any further comments/reviews/experiences would be highly appreciated. I am in NJ and everywhere I call I am told there will be a 5-7 month wait time (Designer Appliances, Reno's etc). Anyone know of any appliance stores where this would be in stock? Thanks again. Glad I found this thread.

• Mikey
    last year

@Gurpreet Bakshi. Check with Best Buy's internet site . I wound up driving down to BB's distribution center in Maryland to pick up mine because the one Barry's received was smashed to bits.

• Manda_Rack
    last year

I ended up getting my Thermador Freedom sooner than they had originally estimated. We've been using it for over a year now and absolutely love it. No complaints at all! I'm not sure what lead times are like now, but if you can hold out for it - it's worth it!