Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
KitchenAid self clean oven Class Action Lawsuit Canada

Posted by jillybeanbbo (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 21, 12 at 23:52

I am looking for Canadian KitchenAid (Whirpool) customers
who have purchased a KitchenAid Gas Range and have experienced a problem when using the self clean function.

My KA Gas Range is inoperable for the 3rd time now after using the self clean function and I refuse to pay again for
the thermal fuse to be replaced. Replacing the fuse does not fix the problem!

I am aware of a number of class action law suits in the USA for this fault and a similar fault where the self clean function fries the entire front panel. I am in contact with a Canadian law firm with the aim of starting a class action law suit for KA customers in Canada.

Please contact me and I will send you information as it becomes available, I will also post progress updates here.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: KitchenAid self clean oven Class Action Lawsuit Canada

good luck -

at the end of the day the attorneys will make a sizable pile of change and you'll end up with a "coupon" for $50 - $100 off of a new KA product which itself may or may not be defective and if it is the brass at KA will lie to you and tell you nothing is wrong with the product.

Better to just find another manufacturer.

o

I disagree. Not with antss's fatalistic prediction, he's probably right; you will likely end up with a whole lot of doodly-squat. What I disagree with is the notion that you should just roll over and let KA screw you.

Those ovens are defective. There are FAR too many reports of self-clean cycles ending with thermal cutoff failures.

So go get 'em. And don't settle for coupons. Make them fix them, replace them, or get your money back.

o

I know this might be an extreme long shot, but enough complaints to the Consumer Products Safety Division might nudge KA if the CPSD gets involved.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saferproducts

o

Thanks for the encouragement mojavean!

JCWR56 thanks, that looks like a good idea. The only problem is that I am from Canada, perhaps affected customers in the USA could lobby this grup.

I received an email from another unhappy KitchenAid customer who did get a resolution
"They eventually replaced mine with a new model oven after I threatened a lawsuit.....they tried to give me the same model but I refused to accept it, eventually got the new model and made them pay for installation of it also....I have not had any problems with this new model at all...
I will never buy kitchen aid again, they were well aware of the problems that existed with that oven and that's why they discontinued it and came out with a new model, but they refused to accept responsibility for it and tried to pull the wool over the eyes of so many customers...a lot of people have emailed me saying they had the exact same problems"

o

Oops! Not enough coffee this morning. Then perhaps looking to see if there's an equivalent Department in Canada to file with.

o

Important update!

After reading the comments here I decided against a Class Action Law Suit and filed a claim in the Small Claims Court.
It was cheap $100 (it costs more to fix my stove after using the selfclean cycle) and easy.

I am happy to say the matter was resolved, out of court to my complete satisfaction. The terms of the agreement mean that I must not disclose what the settlement was.

If anyone in Canada needs any help getting started with the small claims process, please email me. I can help with that :)

o

I am having the smae trouble and would like to know what the process was for you. Please help as I am so frustrated with Kitchenaid I could scream!

o

Oh, how I wish I had found this page sooner. I set my oven to self clean yesterday and the same thing has happened. The oven failed to re-open and switch back on and on reading all the web pages it would appear that we now have a broken oven. it is only two years old and cost $2000 so as you can gather I am not a happy person. I'd welcome any feedback from anyone on the best action to take - we have been told to submit our problem to the safeproducts.gov page which we will do as well look into the small claims court but we would also consider joining any class action case as we just do not want to spend 100's on a repair when they knew this was fault or even worse spend another $2K on a new oven.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here