Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bksinaz

Hood recirculation kits are ugly. Modifications?

bksinaz
9 years ago

In the market for an under cabinet range hood that is capable of recirculation. I like this style http://www.amazon.com/Broan-APE130SS-Cabinet-30-Inch-Stainless/dp/B004V2L8QS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_la_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0M2KWAW5SCVAZ26002NV or a Zephyr or any namebrand in this style.

It seems that recirculating hoods in this style that do not require a recirculation kit are not as deep; about 6 inches. I am looking for about 7 - 9 deep. My problem that I am running into is that the deep ones require the recirculation kit which makes them too deep and a ugly square section ontop.

Is there some way I can modify and install the recirculation kit so it is hidden in the above cabinet?

Or does anybody know of a recirculating hood in the style I like (without the square shape ontop) that is deeper than 6 inches?

I am NOT looking for this style with the square shape ontop http://www.amazon.com/Broan-883904-Cabinet-39-Inch-Stainless/dp/B001E6LAH6/ref=sr_1_26?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1422592831&sr=1-26

Comments (7)

• Fori
    9 years ago

I would check AJMadison (.com). they have a big selection and a really good search feature. Some people even buy appliances from them but I don't know anything about that. :)

You should not be stuck with an ugly hood.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Depending on the strength of your urge to invent an aesthetic solution, it is certain that cabinetry can be built to hide almost anything, and HVAC ducting can be built to connect almost anything to anything. So given a sufficient for you recirculating filter system, it could be hidden in a cabinet and ducting used to bring the "filtered" air to a point near the ceiling where it would be expelled through a register, fancy or otherwise.

kas

• groovygeek
    9 years ago

In a somewhat similar boat. Decided to go with an 18" canopy style hood for two reasons:

1) Wife likes the looks,and this is (almost) all that counts. Planing on removing the cabinet above the range and putting the hood there, together with a duct cove running all the way up to the ceiling. Yes,I know that manufacturers say it is an either or proposition when it comes to recirc units, but that is a trivial fix with a drill and some self-tapping sheet metal screws.

2) Having the recirc box higher is actually better IMO. That way the hot air does not shoot straight out in your face but closer to the ceiling.

Have you considered the Miele DA1180 and the Kobe CH3830SQBD-1? As for UTC hoods, the only one I have hound capable of recirc that is under 10" is the Betazzoni KU30PRO1XV at 8.5". However, the recirc unit adds another 2".

• robert_sett
    9 years ago

There are a few options:

1.) Remove the cabinet altogether and get a "chimney style" wall hood. Those usually have recirculation slots cut into the top of the chimney cover, so even if the chimney goes right up to the ceiling, the air still escapes out the side slots. Or, leave the chimney at least 4"-5" below the ceiling, and the air can disperse through the top.

Example: {{gwi:2133183}}

• robert_sett
    9 years ago

Option #2:

Use a "hood insert" that goes into the cabinet (not "under" it, but completely inside). If the top of the cabinet is at least 4"-5" below the ceiling, simply run a short duct from the insert to the top of the cabinet, and let the air disperse.

Example: {{gwi:2133184}}

• robert_sett
    9 years ago

The finished product "disappears" into the cabinet:

Faber Inca insert: {{gwi:2133186}}

Futuro Futuro Insert-Liner: {{gwi:2133187}}

Best PK2229 insert: {{gwi:2133188}}