Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kassjs

Miele - deal or no deal?

kassjs
9 years ago

I'm beginning a "surprise" kitchen reno... bought a house down the street and decided to tear the kitchen out before we move in. It's to the studs right now and we're working on a layout. Wasn't expecting the deal we got for the house so we'll hold both for a bit.
Anyway, a contractor friend has Miele ovens that were taken out of a high end reno and I have first dibs. They are the H4080 speed oven, H4780 wall oven and ESW4720 warming. Also a gas 6 burner and hood. I love my bluestar (thanks to lots of reading here!) and am not really interested in switching to the cooktop. I do a lot of cooking - three kids and the host for all holidays. We typically have between 20-40 people when hosting. I've been making due now with a 30" range and about 36" of counter space so I'm not sure how much is too much. He hasn't given me a price yet but all were only used for 6 months due to a divorce situation. My new kitchen is about 13'x 20' and so I think I have room. I'd love your thoughts on what you would do if starting from scratch.

Comments (15)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

They are high performing quality products, but it's impossible to answer the question in your title until you get the price.

Something else I would want to know is when the oven was manufactured. Miele had temperature issues a few years back. The issues have now been resolved, but if the fix wasn't implemented in production you need a new control board. That could sour the deal.

Parts and service for Miele products are very expensive. They are one of the most reliable on the market, but still not a 0% failure rate and you don't want to be caught with one broken and no warranty. However the price could be so good you could care less about the warranty. That was the case for me when I found a NIB Electrolux induction range on Craigslist for dirt cheap.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

If they are less than a year old, were registered, or you can get a purchase date, they can be registered and warrantys can be purchased.

I'd look up the style numbers on the Miele site.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

According to Miele's service manual, all "4xxx" ovens both single and double, "could have" the temp problem.
    Here is the info from the service manual:

"H 4000 Temperature Complaints
    Applies to all H 4XXX single and double ovens, excluding H 408x speed
    ovens.
    If you encounter a customer complaint regarding oven temperatures, and you
    have verified that all the components are functioning correctly, itâÂÂs possible
    that the ovenâÂÂs power electronic needs to be replaced"

Here is how to check to see if the oven/ovens have been updated:

"To determine the need for an update, enter service mode and check the IDs.
    Check the EPL ID against the matrix below. If the current ID matches one of
    the older IDs, the ovenâÂÂs power electronic may need to be replaced. All stock
    in the parts warehouse is already programmed with the newest software IDs.

Model EPL # Old Part New Part Old ID New ID
    H 4882 EPL 786 7240642 7240643 1833 2354
    H 4892BP2 EPL 787 7240652 7240653 1832 2353
    H 4782 EPL 786 7240642 7240643 1833 2354
    H 4682 EPL 786 7240642 7240643 1833 2354
    H 4880B EPL 782 6203395 N/A 1055;1763 2354
    H 4880BP EPL 782 6203395 N/A 1055;1763 2354
    H 4881B EPL 782 6203395 N/A 1055;1763 2354
    H 4881BP EPL 782 6203395 N/A 1055;1763 2354
    H 4890B2 EPL 783 6212176 N/A 1164 2353
    H 4890BP2 EPL 783 6212176 N/A 1164 2353
    H 4780B EPL 782 6203395 N/A 1055;1763 2354
    H 4780BP EPL 782 6203395 N/A 1055;1763 2354
    H 4680 EPL 782 6203395 N/A 1055;1763 2354

Good luck with your new kitchen and appliances!!

Gary

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know these were installed in 09. Thanks for all the info Gary, I will look that up. I've been asking him about price, but he isn't sure. Since they are discontinued, he doesn't know where to start. I do know he'd really like them out of his basement. Should I offer him a fair price or wait until he starts with a number? Thanks again; I could not fathom starting this reno without this resource!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

2009 sounds like it could be at risk, that service manual Gary quoted wasn't published until 2013. It might not be though, it seems that older MasterChef ovens (like rococogurl's) weren't affected. It should be tested if possible. If it has the problem, you have to decide whether it's worth the headache or not. If it is, use it as leverage when negotiating a price.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Also if it does have the problem, it is certainly easier to have it "updated"
    before it is installed.

I would find a way to "temporailrly hook it to power", then run the diagnostic test to determine the software revision.

You could ask the current owner about the performance of the ovens,
    (Keeping in mind), that He wants to sell them!

Gary

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He did offer to hook it up and test them. We'll start there. Thank you so much!

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

I have a 4880B -- on this list -- and never had a problem. My DD has the same oven and no problem.

The OP might check eBay or the Miele outlet to see where the prices on older/discontinued pieces fall.

If these all were installed in 09 then they are certainly not 6 months old. And they would not be eligible for warrantys.

I'd also want to see the interior condition of each piece. Some ovens look ancient after a few months and others can be older but look quite new. Depends on the maintenance.

Price should be adjusted accordingly.

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you rococogurl. What I meant was they were only used for 6 months. Then the condo sat empty until the new owners pulled them out to remodel. The interiors are spotless - we are unsure if they were ever even cooked in. He has tested them and everything works great. Thanks for the heads up about the outlet.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

So the temperature was measured, and verified to reach and hold the setting? This was a nasty problem with these ovens and it is not enough to just turn them on and make sure they heat.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

We were fortunate to have two folks here in Garden web that did not have the temp problem with the Miele ovens.

But think about it!,
    Would Miele bother to put that section about the temp problem in their service manual, if only a couple ovens had the problem??????

Close to Rococogurl, (as I recall), was where I first discovered the Miele oven temperature problem. I believe the post was in chow hound. An owner of what had to be a "REally Fancy Apartment Complex", claimed that He had bought 67 Miele ovens , as I recall, and most of his tenants
    were complaining about uncooked food, food that took too long to bake~~~~etc

Gary

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He did heat it up and made sure it held the temp. He trained under two master chefs so it's nice to be able to trust his opinion of the stove. Now the pricing can start. Thank you all so much for your help so far!

• baver
    9 years ago

You definitely want to see if you have the old software. I do. Do the temperature test with two thermometers. It's in the Miele Technical Service bulletin posted on this forum. It will take some time. 70 minutes, plus cool down time in between. Mine is off 20-50 degrees, depending on setting. They "appear" to work correctly, until something turns out raw, or takes 2 hours longer than it should. Broiler also is very inconsistent.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

So what is the latest for your oven Baver, are you getting the new control board, with the correct software, and if so, "On whose Dime"?

Gary

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, thanks baver - I will certainly forward that to him. I appreciate it!