Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellessebee_gw

If you were buying a refrigerator....

ellessebee
11 years ago

I am agonizing over my refrigerator selection! I have a couple of specific criteria but they narrow the field considerably. It would really help to hear what real-life users have to say since the salespeople, and consumerreports, seem to have no idea what they're talking about. I want the largest I can find in a standard depth, 36" wide unit with NO dispenser in or through the door. (I just won't hook it up or use it so why pay for it and why give up the interior space?) That really limits my options. I think there's a Kenmore Elite, a GE, a couple of Samsungs and an LG or 2, a KitchenAid and a Whirlpool and an Electrolux, too, but no too salespeople agree on any of this and I've been chasing my tail to track them down. Today I spent several hours looking in 3 different stores. I decided to add one additional criterion and that is large, deep produce bins. Every one of the units I saw in the upper range had a shallow wide drawer under the veggie bins - I think it was for party platters or something. But we eat more cauliflower than party platters and I need lots of room for veggies! I also tried every one of the veggie bins and after deciding the KA was going to win, crossed it off the list because its bins didn't slide easily. I don't want to be fighting with the fridge to get my food out. I also noticed that most of the models have all plastic freezer drawers. One or 2 had wire upper and plastic lower drawers. I believe 1 Whirlpool had all wire (as did a Sub-Zero I decided to use as a benchmark). I am concerned that the plastic won't be durable. I am hoping to hear from some owners of these models - what's your experience been? If you knew then what you know now, would you buy the same refrigerator again? Thanks.

Comment (1)