Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreno_gw

Gas + induction modules - anyone have? worth doing?

ctreno
14 years ago

I can't believe I am still trying to figure out the cooktop. After thinking 100% I was going to go with a pro-style 36" AR, Bluestar, or Wolf rangetop, I am now considering doing what I saw at a friend's house - 30" 4-burner gas with a separate 15" induction module right next to it - well, as close as you can put it. Heck, I'm even thinking that I might just go with induction 100% but I have questions:

So - what might be the cooking point of having both?

I mostly cook sauces, stews, rice & pasta, melt chocolate for many desserts, saute, steam veggies. I don't sear much now because my exhaust died. I never really perfected stir frying, but my kids love Asian food, so that's a goal. I have open gas burners now and on low, I do have to watch very carefully. So I'm thinking maybe I don't even need gas but...

Can you put a griddle pan over two induction burners for pancakes (which we make almost every weekend?)

2) Builder Roughs question -- If I have to decide ASAP for builder (like this week,) can I hedge and have them do roughs to accommodate both, even if I end up only doing gas or only induction or is that really dumb? (We already have a natural gas line in house, but not in new location.)

3) Framed or Frameless induction? Is that just personal taste decision or is there something practical about it re the stone counter?

4) Induction brands. Is there a huge difference? I saved a lot of money on my other appliances by doing ebay and CL so I can splurge a bit on the cooktop configuration, though I don't believe in overspending just for a name - it has to perform well first, good logical controls, good look too.

5) How does this affect hood choice? With 30" gas + 15" induction, do I just do the same hood I would do over a 36" 6 burner all gas? If I do go all induction, what then?

Anything else I should consider

Comments (38)

• gizmonike
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We have both: a 36" all gas DCS range and a 15" Gaggenau single hob induction cooktop. We also have a Gagg teppanyaki cooktop on the other side of the range.

DH wanted gas & I wanted induction, but there weren't many induction choices 5 years ago and it seemed a bit risky to him. Initially I started out thinking we'd do 4 module cooktops to mix gas, induction, griddle, and maybe grill or another set of burners; these are offered by Wolf, Miele, and Gaggenau. However, there was no clear winner: each line had its wimpy modules along with its stars, and the manufacturers couldn't be mixed. So we decided to get a 48" or 60" rangetop, then later got the idea to flank a 6 burner 36" rangetop with the induction & teppanyaki (electric) modules. At the last minute, we switched the rangetop for a range to get a big oven & infrared broiler.

The point of both is the flexibility. Our gas range has 4 burners capable of 17,500 BTU and one of these takes 17 minutes to boil a big pot of water, while our induction burner is effectively 33,000 BTU and can boil the same pot in 7 minutes. The rangetop burner grids allow big pots, pans, or griddle that span more than one burner; this is not possible with induction unless the unit has bridge capability. The heat output is much less with induction since there's no flame, so it's nicer to use in the summer. DS prefers the induction because there's no flame. DH loves the flame. Our DCS has a simmer ring on all burners, which is very useful, and controls a simmer better than our induction. We can stir fry on either the induction (using a flat-bottomed wok) or gas. We love both and would hate to give either up. If I could only have electric, I'd go with induction rather than conventional electric.

To do both, you will need a gas line correctly sized, 240 electric with 50 amp on its own circuit, plus a 120 electric for gas ignition.

You want a hood that spans all your cooktops, regardless of type, plus a bit extra on both sides, so for 30" + 15" you should have a 46-48" hood. We have a 66" hood, containing 2 Ventahood liner units inside a stainless steel outer hood.

With induction, your brand choice depends on whether you are doing a single hob or a full cooktop with multiple burners. Others can better comment on the full cooktop choices these days, but you want to pay attention to how much heating power the cooktop will deliver when most or all are running. With a single hob, I think you want the most powerful one you can find within your budget. Gaggenau is expensive but it was one of the few choices we had available. We like its power but we don't like that it hums when operating. Cooktek makes a more affordable induction hob.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Induction will require you to use induction capable cookware. Gas will not.

2. it depends on the cost of the rough-ins. It might be a small incremental cost overall to do both if everything is open for the rough-in.

3. If I understand what you're asking, it is strictly a taste thing. Though some of the induction tops with a steel frame (Electrolux/Kenmore) ventilate around the frame itself and have to sit on top of the countertop.

4. Yeah, I think so. There's something of the 'you get what you pay for' with them.

5. I would think that with a 30" gas with a 2-hob induction versus a 36" gas, you would not need as big a fan.

There are people who have done 30" gas with a single or 2-hob induction (Diva and others have these), or a 30" 4-hob induction with a single or 2-burner gas module.

If you want to get more information about available induction units, check out www.theinductionsite.com .

• plumorchard
    14 years ago

Question about the griddle use and comment about bridge capability.
    If an induction unit didn't have the bridge wouldn't it work the same as using a griddle over two gas burners? Then you do have areas no over direct heat but hopefully the pan (cast iron) would help with the heat transfer?
    Curious because I've wondered the same thing.

• datura-07
    14 years ago

I have the Wolf 15 modules, a gas, induction and a steamer. Only have had them for a month but I love them. One nice thing about these 15 modules is that you can place them in different areas in the kitchen

• ctreno
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the quick and helpful feedback! My walls are wide open, so I think I will just have them rough in for both then I can take another week or two to decide.

Gizmonike - okay, what is a teppanyaki? I was thinking about what I cook, and I would say that I probably prefer that the low/simmer really works well. When I want to grill, I go on my deck even in winter since it's so easy to get to, so that's not a feature I really care about and probably why I don't sear on cooktop as much as some, nor broil in oven. Though I cook a lot and for crowds, I haven't done a lot of high-temp cooking - but I definitely want to get into wok or stir frying - so we don't keep going out for Thai/Vietnamese/Chinese food Do gas and induction work equally if you have the correct pan/wok etc?

Weedmeister - thanks for the point-by-point. Cookware not an issue for me as I have mostly all clad flat and cast iron. Plus with new kitchen, wouldn't mind investing in a few new cookware items!

Datura, I would love to hear more about the steamer? How does it compare to steambasket in a pot?

If I understand all your comments, it seems that if two-burner griddle use is really important, then it might be best to have at least two gas burners??? So now I just have to decide whether to do 30" induction and 15" gas or vice versa. I can't believe I just realized that with 30" + 15" I am now at 45" instead of 36". How do I break that layout change news to my architect? (lol)

P.S. The friend of mine who has both just emailed me this am and said if she could get rid of her two-hob Wolf induction she would. Told me it has broken twice (since installed in may or June) and she had to wait 2 months to get a part the second time around.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Teppanyaki. Ever been to BeniHana? It is a Japanese style of cooking on a flat griddle.

LG makes an induction cooktop with a bridge for a griddle.

I think the issue with putting a griddle across two induction units has to do with the heat of the pan affecting the electronics below the bridged space.

• mrtimewise
    14 years ago

Teppanyaki. Ever been to BeniHana? It is a Japanese style of cooking on a flat griddle.

Ah Ha! Now I know, too!

I think the issue with putting a griddle across two induction units has to do with the heat of the pan affecting the electronics below the bridged space.

Double Ah Ha! A very reasonable explanation!

• datura-07
    14 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's induction. My old subzero need the servie guy yesterday. I said I was glad to hear that they hired back 500 people (or whatever number it was). He said it has really been bad since they layed the people off last year. They had to stop production and they were ok until the warehouse started running out of units and parts. So that isn't normal for them.

I'll get back to you about the steamer but I'm having company and I've wasted too much time today but I'd love to tell you about the steamer.

• plllog
    14 years ago

My kitchen still isn't finished but I got peeved at Gaggenau's price increase for the dominoes, so got a 15" Wolf gas and a 24" European 3 element Gaggenau induction. Saved a lot of cabinet space and money too... (I was originally going to get the teppan yaki too but cheaped out on the 38% price increase last year. It's a lovely toy, but I can live without it.)

• ctreno
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog - I saw your post in the wok cooking induction thread and was wondering what you had gotten. BTW - what hood did you get? Is there a reason you selected Gaggenau/Wolf combo? May I ask what you spent total? I assume you haven't installed yet?

I still wasn't sure about the griddle pan, so I called Diva and here is what they emailed "you cannot work with the same pan over two burners. It might be harmless when you are working on 2 burners driven by the same generator, but it can produce damage if you are working with 2 burners that are driven by 2 different generators. it is a problem of frequencies interferences. I think there are some competitors who offer this option." (Very nice of them to be honest.)

Okay, then I went to another appliance showroom - one that sells and repairs. The guy there said it shouldn't be a problem to have a griddle pan across two burners as long as you don't have it on the diagonal - ie top left to middle - which no one would do anyway. He also told me that Diva is having issues in North America + he claims that their generators are made in China and suggested I go German - Miele, Bosch or Thermador whose generators are made in Germany.

In any event, I at least narrowed today to either 36" all induction (probably Miele) or 30" 4 burner induction + 12" two burner gas. I really didn't want to go to 48" because it would mess up cabinets plus I would need a larger hood which is also more $.

S

• inter_alia
    14 years ago

>ctreno
    > Wolf induction she would. Told me it has broken twice
    > (since installed in may or June) and she had to wait 2
    > months to get a part the second time around.

That concerns me as I have a Wolf 30" Induction on order. I have seen threads about long waits to get a 36" top that made me wonder if they have a parts supply issue.

Can you give any more info on this? What part is broken? Does 1 of the 2 work? Where is she located?

In my research I liked the Specs and Features of the Miele 36" and 30" best. Wife wanted Wolf for the textured surface and no SS trim. Bosch specs were as good, preferred Miele for quality.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Ctreno, It's a long story but here it is. I don't remember how much I spent on most of them--it was a long time ago--but I think the Gaggenau induction was about $1200. I can't remember if that was including FedEx. That was under $300, I think, plus FedEx took care of the import duty (they charged $5 which I think is a bargain at ten times the price!)--that was $75 including the fee.

Before I was 100% sure of what the stove would be I had to figure out the hood for the design. It's cheaper to go with a standard size anyway, even on a custom hood. I got a ModernAire 1200 cfm 48", through the wall. When I first spec'd it out it was 1000 cfm, but they changed their offering. I was worried it would be too strong, but Trailrunner, who has done even more research than I and has finished her kitchen, said that using a lower speed with a stronger blower works better, so I'm content. There were some issues with my order and color matching so I changed to metal and there were issues with scratches but they're local and they took care of it. Now it's just the last thing that's going up... As you surmised, they're not in yet, but the kitchen is finally getting finished so in a month or so I should have function.

I was originally going to get the Gaggenau dominoes, 2 burner gas, wok induction and teppan yaki. I think it would suit the way I cook very well, though that idea also included using a couple of portables when feeding mobs if necessary. But I don't really like the knobs mounted on the front, and they required too much depth, and too much countertop space, and I got really ticked off by the price increase which went in 4 days before I went in to buy them (I had been caring for my folks and away from GW so didn't have a warning).

When I first started planning I was in love with a Wolf rangetop (long before planning layout), but when I decided I wanted induction and gas I was hesitant about the Wolf domino with the small and medium sized burners. By the time I threw in the towel on the Gagg dominoes, I had decided I needed more induction and less gas, and didn't need the teppan yaki (though it's really cool), but the Wolf was the only competitor to Gagg on the gas module that met my requirements. I spent a lot of time at the store deciding that except for possibly my brand new big enamelled griddle, which was a much loved present, the Wolf would be adequate.

I was seriously looking at the 30" Miele (which is really over 31"). It's a very nice unit and I would have been fine with it, but it would have used more counterspace than I really wanted to devote to it, along with the 15" Wolf. Diva didn't have enough power level settings and I think they're the only one less than 30" nominal in the States. So I flirted with getting a zoneless from Europe but the people who bring in De Dietrich don't offer theirs, and I found too many issues to have one with no possibility of repair.

About this time, we were discussing the Gaggenau 36" in this forum and whether it was cool enough to sell a member's husband on, so I read the manual....and fell in love with the hockey puck (the magnetic knob). And it was the same manual for a similar unit that only had the big center element and two on one side, at 24", instead of the 36" that they sell here. All of the features were exactly what I liked, and it's less than 24" rather than over 31", as the Miele is. So I asked here about self-importing and learned what questions to ask (insurance, timers, electricity and whether it would work), and asked them. We have an excellent Gaggenau service company here so I was sure I could get it fixed. I don't care so much about the warranty, which probably isn't in effect, but repair altogether is important. So when everyone here gave the go ahead, I tried to get one from France, Belgium or Spain (I don't speak any German), but they have very limited sales territories. In England, it's only sold by kitchen design centers rather than appliance stores, so costs more than Spain, but was still a very acceptable price. I emailed a different firm off the online vendor list each week until one responded and said he'd be happy to sell me one and FedEx it. The stainless frame got a few tiny dings in shipping, but there doesn't seem to be any real damage. I'd recommend making sure to get a unit double boxed, because the Gagg box was pretty thrashed in being overnighted (hence the dings).

I think most of the European units have inductors made by Fagor.

• ctreno
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Inter alia - she told me first time, entire thing had to be replaced. I have to find out what the second issue was.

Plllog - thanks - that was thorough! There is a 36" Gag on ebay. I bought my double Fisher Paykel ovens there. Can you see nay reason not to go for the Gag induction on ebay?

I just saw a photo of the Kenmore Pro 36" on That Induction Site. It looks pretty good and seems as powerful as the Miele at much less $. I am getting the sense that if you get any of the brands that don't have generators made in China, they all get fairly good reviews. Electrolux and Kenmore both get great writeups. I know Miele, Gagg. are more chic. to go with the Subzero etc.

If I can just get a satisfactory answer on the whole griddle question, I will drop the 12 or 15" gas hob altogether.

Thanks agian to this great forum. I never would have even considered induction otherwise!

• plllog
    14 years ago

LOL! I told you it was a long story. I couldn't figure out how to make it shorter and still answer your question. :)

I don't know the answer to the 2 burner griddle question, though I've seen reports from people saying they did it successfully, but that there were hot spots (just like on gas!).

With eBay you always have to be concerned about the seller, but if you trust them I don't know why not. I think the Kenmore is made by Electrolux. Should be fine.

The things to check are the controls (timers, power levels, selectors, how the touch buttons feel, etc.) and other features, plus how quiet the fan is, if the inductors click, and if they make clad pots whine. The other thing is how much cabinet space they take for ventilation. Some require an open cabinet underneath. Others require a channel behind. I don't remember the specifics, but you can get most of the installation manuals online. I think the Miele is the quietest and for sure takes some of the least cabinet space.

I wouldn't worry about "chic" names. Miele has a great reputation for customer service, though.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

I'll second that, and emphasis that the differences have to do with features like individual timers (Miele), the number of power levels (9, 15, 20+), power sharing or not, and the other things Plllog mentions.

Since she mentioned the Gag hockey puck, I noticed that there is a new Bosch unit available in Europe that uses half-dollar sized disks to set the power levels on each hob. They are removable and can be tossed in a drawer for security from little hands.

• country_smile
    14 years ago

ctreno - After reading through these posts, I just wanted to add a few comments:

I was facing the same decision as you in that I wanted both induction and gas but I wasn't thrilled about the aspect of having to get a huge hood. The area where I had planned my cooktop had a few angles in the wall so I was limited to what I could put there and I had my heart set on glass cabinets on either side of the hood. I originally wanted gas with 6 burners but after I saw the induction unit demonstrated I was hooked. I considered a two unit gas and three induction hobs but in the end I went with the 36" Miele. I do love my induction! Everyone is correct in saying that it doesn't need much clearance below, it's very quiet, and I've been very satisfied with their customer service. I also like the overall clean look and the fact that its a cinch to clean. However, there are still times I wonder how it would have been with a combination of both. I wanted the gas for when I use my 23-qt. pressure canner and because cooking on gas is...well... FUN!(you know, the whole infatuation with cooking with fire) With 1 or 2 gas hobs and 3 induction, I would have had the best of both worlds (at least that's what I think). But the bigger hood, having to run a gas line and decide where to place the propane tank outside, (no natural gas closeby), the additional cost, and the fact that canning inside heats up a kitchen in the summer, weighed heavily on my decision to buy the Miele 36" induction.

I don't know if that was helpful to you or not, but I've noticed that many (not all) on this forum are reluctant to talk about their regrets. It's natural to want to feel satisfied with the outcome of a remodel, especially after you've said farewell to megabucks that used to reside in your account! But, I wanted to be completely upfront and honest in saying that those thoughts of having both types of cooking still pop up from time to time. And, who knows, maybe if I had gone with both I would be 2nd guessing that decision too. '

So...Take your time in this decision, list all the pros and cons of each, and I wish you the BEST in finding what works best for you and for the space available in your kitchen.

• ctreno
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Country smile,
    Thanks yes, helpful - sounds as if you went through a very similar thinking process. BTW, what hood do you have for your Miele and do you like it?

I have natural gas so we are plumbing it anyway and I never really mind heat in kitchen in summer, but I'm in CT - it's not that bad! I don't do canning, though I have been reading about that and it sounds cool - something to do when the kids get to college!

There are only two things holding me up at this point in final configuration decision - I really like to span two burners for pancakes, huge batches of granola, grilled cheese etc now that someone gave us a griddle last Xmas. Some people have said you can and others you can't. I guess the best thing would be to contact Miele directly and ask??? But I suppose I could live without that since I didn't even have a griddle until recently.

Then, I am wondering if I have 30" for induction and 12" for gas hob, can I just do a 42" hood? I assume with a little space in between, the cooking span will be more than 42, but I really don't want a 48" hood. I read in some other thread however, someone else did modules including wok burner and did not get a hood that spanned the entire cooking surfaces - just placed the higher smoke producing items within hood area.

In terms of pricing, it's about $300 more to have both Miele units. The Miele 36 is a beauty and everyone seems to like it.

• clkw
    14 years ago

Datura,
    I'm looking forward to hearing about your steamer too! I am getting the 48 in wolf range and a 15 inch induction.. considering steamer too. I really don't want gas but I feel I should have it for resale.. maybe I'm wrong? It at least gives me the two ovens that I don't have much wall space for.

• song_ca
    14 years ago

plllog, I'm also considering a 24" induction and a gas hob because I don't have room for a large hood. Would you be willing to share the name of your seller in England?

• country_smile
    14 years ago

Ctreno,

I have a Miele vent (DA 362-75)in a custom wood hood. We bought the vent at a nice discount because it was a floor model. It has 4 speeds, has a few extras that you can program, and overall works well. If I ever burn anything (rare, yes, but it happens) I put the vent on super-high and it sucks the smell right up the vent and out through the double chimney.

I had called Miele one time with a question about pan size on the burners . Im not sure if I called the National Headquarters # 1-800-843-7231 or the Technical Support #1-800-999-1360.

I donÂt make huge batches of pancakes at a time so I use a pan on the biggest hob.

The kitchen consultant that worked for our contractor probably would have advised against having a hood the same size as the cooktop. She was pushing for a 48" but we went smaller. You may want to e-mail Elizpiz. She has a gas cooktop with a hood centered over it and then a 2-hob induction to the left, not under the hood. (see link below - I had asked her about it also)

Only $300 more to have both Miele? For that small amount, IÂd lean toward both Miele. âº

• misplacedtxgal
    14 years ago

I would love to see pictures of how you placed these. Especially for those that were placed away from the main cook area. I'm thinking I'd save alot of money if I just bought a 30" range and added a grill module.

• ctreno
    Original Author
    14 years ago

country smile,
    Thanks for the Elizpiz photos.

Thanks to all who posted here; it definitely helped my deicison-making process. I pretty much decided on the 30" Miele induction + 12" gas hob. Why not have the flexibility?

Miele has a price increase beginning 2/1 so I actually have to commit tomorrow or pay more. Now I only need a hood and I am done with appliances!

• plllog
    14 years ago

Song, I'd be happy to recommend him, but I only remember his first name, and my e-mail server is down. If you send me an e-mail, it'll remind me when I can finally get in and I'll find it for you.

• datura-07
    14 years ago

clkw,
    I'm going to start a new thread about the steamer.

• sportsrx
    13 years ago

Stumbled upon this thread after 6 months of inactivity.

Would welcome any reflections on decisions? Regrets? Would you do anything differently?

We are currently thinking 6 burner plus griddle 48" range & as a last minute addition a small (12-15" domino/module) induction top.

Welcome all insights, brands suggestion what should we look at?

• geo91324
    13 years ago

We chose for our new kitchen a Wolf 48" rangetop (4 burners + double griddle) that anchors the perimeter and a Wolf 15" induction hub that's on the island. Love them both, especially the induction.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Sportsrx, I've been cooking on mine for several months now and love them!! The hood is too powerful, so there is no real low, but on the other hand, I hate cooking smells and I don't get them. Most daily cooking, as expected, happens on the induction. For things requiring flames, or just if I need extra burners, the gas is right there. Even the little Wolf domino is stunningly wonderful, and it doesn't have near the power of the real deal. I use it mostly at lower levels and the low is great before you even get into the simmer rings.

And I can now report that my big griddle will work on either. I'm concerned about the air under the griddle getting too hot for the glass on the induction, but it does heat up across the two smaller elements. It's a little cockeyed on the gas, but not badly.

My Gaggenau registers and heats all kinds of things that Mr. Induction wouldn't. The only thing that buzzes is my little turkish coffee pot, which Mr. Induction rejected even though it's stainless.

• sandywp
    13 years ago

I have been trying to fit in cooking modules that include: gas, induction, griddle/teppanyaki and BBQ grill for months (as well as my combi steam and wall oven of course).

Can the module gas units compare to the larger cooktop units?

Are there module BBQ units that are sufficiently powerful?

Plllog, I too love the hockey puck idea and am considering importing a 24" from the uk. Wish it came smaller. Can you post or send me you uk retailer?

My husband loves the idea of a 48" bluestar but I think it might be a little 'heavy' looking for a modern white kitchen.

Of course, I'd be willing to put the induction unit separately in our 15' island... Just wouldn't want to have to figure in another vent hood (with a large modern aire already planned along the wall).

Anyone separate their cooking units on different counters?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Sandy, There aren't any retailers in the UK. Gaggenau only sells through kitchen design firms. I found mine by e-mailing vendors from the Gaggenau list until one responded. He was very nice and agreed to sell it to me. I don't have the details on hand, but if you need them you can e-mail me and I'll turn them up. The box was thrashed and there are a couple of tiny dents in the trim, so I'd pay extra to have it double boxed if I had it to do again.

For modules, however, I'd recommend the Gaggenau Vario 400 for your purposes. Check the gas specs for yourself, but it's the best I found. Same with the induction. To have all four functions you'd need 60". You might do better with a Wolf or Bluestar rangetop (gas, griddle, grill) and an induction side burner. The Gaggnenau grill is supposed to be good, but the only one I've heard raves about is the Wolf.

There's nothing really like the Gaggenau teppan yaki, including the other teppan yakis on the market. I'm glad I didn't get it in the end, even though it would have been fun. I really can do everything I would have done on it in a pan. Even though I don't have the top power out there for home cooking, I have more than I actually use.

There was a company which seems to have disappeared which was selling their own version of a teppan yaki. They showed an installation with a round teppan yaki set flush into the granite in a circular coda at the end of a peninsula. It was very cool!! But there was no hood. It would have needed a round island hood above to make it really look appealing to me. That's how I feel about separate cooking stations. It's easier to have it all under one hood. Trailrunner has a built-in fryer under the hood next to her cooktop, for instance. Gizmonike has a range flanked by Gagg induction and teppan yaki under one hood. It also contains the mess. You could definitely do an island hood with a sculptural surround that looked more like a large modern light fixture than a hood. You could even do two, one with lights only.

You could go retro on your kitchen (either forty years, or four hundred years depending on whether you're looking American style or old world), and put in a real barbecue with its own chimney. That kind of separating cooking stations does work. :) You could add a wood fired oven if you want to go really fancy too. Great for breads, pizza and roasts.

I'd still edit. I'm happy I did.

• lalithar
    13 years ago

Plllog,

Is there a picture of your Gagg + Wolf you can share.. I would love to see it. I can't see any 24" Gagg on their site.. Did I miss or they don't sell anymore?

I am thinking about the Wolf Modular to get gas + gas wok + induction. I know Wolf Gas is good. Is their induction any good?

Lalitha

• cookie08
    13 years ago

re: induction cooktops & use of a griddle. Other than the LG 30" induction cooktop, Frigidaire has one that is a hybrid, and the non induction hobs have a bridge element.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Lalitha, The Wolf is as much as I need, but it's a small and a medium burner. I debated a long time before I decided that that would work for me with no large burner.

Re griddles, my big one with the deep edges will work across my two smaller induction elements, but I worry about a build up of hot air in the space underneath and if that could lead to a problem. On the other hand, it only fits kind of diagonally on the Wolf. It's Summer, so I haven't actually needed to use it and haven't decided how it will go.

• lalithar
    13 years ago

Wow! What an amazing backsplash and countertiles. It looks so soothing .. looks like one could really get into a cooken zen there!

Thanks for posting your kitchen pic! Is that a single hob induction or 2? Can you share how you use each of this? What do you use the induction for and the Wolf small or Wolf Medium for? I like the simplicity of this and am wondering if I need the current config I am looking at:

Option 1: CC 30" rangetop + Wolf or Gagg 12" Induction 2hobs --> 4 burners. 2 large (can accomodate wok grate), 1 med and 1 small

Option 2: Wolf Modular - 15" with 2 gas + 15" wok + 15" induction.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. Lalitha!

The induction is three elements. It's 2/3 of the 36" unit you can see in the stores (or was last year...).

From the planning guide "Three cooking zones:
    One induction cooking zone ø 15 cm (1400 W, with booster 1800 W) [small ring].
    One induction cooking zone ø 21 cm (2200 W, with booster 3300 W) [medium ring].
    One induction cooking zoneø 18 cm (1800 W, with booster 2500 W) [center ring of large element] addition increases cooking zone to ø 28 cm (3600 W, with super booster function 4400 W) [outer ring plus center ring = large element]"

The Wolf gas is "One medium 12,000 Btu/hr sealed burner with 800 Btu/hr delivered at simmer. One small 9,200 Btu/hr sealed burner with 300 Btu/hr delivered at simmer." The small, front one is about 9" square, and the medium, rear one is about 10"x13"

I find this configuration very adaptable. Sometimes I'm trying to make a one pot quickie, which is often on the large induction element. Or I'll do a pot and a pan, with one on the large element, and one on the front medium element. These are things like pasta with vegetables, or a saute and a sauce.

A few weeks ago I was making burritos to freeze. I had already made the meat in the oven and shredded it. I had the rice simmering in a large shallow pot (Le Creuset "braiser"), on the large induction element, and my Le Creuset small, square grill plate on the small gas burner for toasting the tortillas. It actually does work on the induction, and would have meant less fiddling with the heat, but it just seems wrong. Standing between the two really drove home how hot the gas is. It was on low-medium and my left side was hot, and my right side, stirring the rice, wasn't!

For Passover Seder, I had the matzah balls on the back burner, the chicken soup on the large induction burner, smaller things off and on on the smaller induction burners, and the teakettle on the small gas. I did the large pot of tzimmis (roots and fruits) early and was holding it in the warming drawer. I would have done the same thing even if I twice the number of burners. Heating up the chicken broth is nothing. I wanted anything I needed to pay attention to over by that point. Meats in the ovens, and casseroles in the Advantium on oven setting.

I just bought some chicken to make meatballs out of, and some red peppers for the sauce. I'll char the peppers on the gas (I even have a little mesh style barbecue grill that sits on the grate), and cook the chicken balls in a braiser on the large induction element. I'll probably make the mother sauce on the medium induction element, though if I do a saute as well, I'll do that there, and the sauce on the small gas.

Most people rarely use more than three burners at once. As I said, even when I could need five or six, I'd rather use the warming drawer and three or four. And I have an electric kettle which I could use if I needed to free a hob. There are a few things which I make, which theoretically have half a dozen different pots all hot at once and combined only at plating, but even those can be done in shifts given a warming drawer or hot plate.

I wanted the 24" induction because I wanted the big, powerful element and didn't want to devote the money or space to two Gaggenau dominoes to accomplish the same thing. For less than a quarter of what the two pieces would have cost me, I got the same function in 6" less counter, and a couple inches less vertical depth. The drawer underneath and the hood are both 48" wide. As you can see, I gained a couple of precious counter inches in the corner, and several on the right, which is my secondary prep area (by the clean-up sink). And I got the cool magnet knob. :)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh! It just popped in my head that I forgot to mention, the 24" Gaggenau is only available in Europe, so can only be seen on one of the European websites. They still make them.

And I didn't mention that I use the small induction element for small things in small pots, like rendering fat, cooking a couple of eggs, and things like that. I could do them on the small gas, but it's easier to just put it in the back, out of the way.

• Katie S
    13 years ago

Anyone want to buy a 48" Gaggenau with griddle, gas, and induction modules plus accessories? I am sooo bummed it will not fit into our new kitchen. Also selling Gaggenau pizza oven with accessories and a 48" chimney-style hood. Sigh.

• Robert Glasscock
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Pillog-

I guess I’ve ended-up reading this 11 years later because amazingly there is still an absence of induction on gas/electric rangetops. It’s still not possible to find a griddle and grill with fewer than four gas burners (and with Viking you still have to go to a 60 and take six gas burners to get both). I like my Viking wall oven, as a matter of fact I really love it, so was open to the idea of a premier series range with infrared broiler—and remain open to keeping or duplicating the Viking oven. I think Superiore (Tecnogas, Italian mfr) did induction combo tops for a while on their gas ranges and cooktops (and even called it “trifuel”🙄 as if “dual fuel” weren’t a confusing-enough ambiguity describing electricity as a “fuel“…..which seems to imply NG/LP), but all their induction combination units had the equivalent of double-width (four burner/two modules) induction.

So they were just needlessly pulling a monkey-see monkey-do I think, and also suspect that is why despite winning some award that design is no longer anywhere to be found – –because dismissively cheaping-out and missing the chance to be innovative or creative at all results from following the herd, not leading it.

I’m actually surprised at myself leaning toward the wolf 48 four-burner with griddle and grill because (like you mentioned) I also don’t like the front-mounted (perpendicularly to the worktop) knobs. Viking 36“ six-burner gas cooktop currently, which was innovative at the time and fit in the builder’s rough-in, plus has a griddle (and cuttingboard) cover. After living with drawer hardware that can grab and tear pockets off of pants I also think it’s even potentially dangerous. So, anyway perhaps this might be a good group to ask how you guys would solve the problem today of wanting a single dual-zone induction module and single dual-burner gas module plus griddle and grill?

I’m also curious to hear how Original Poster solved her ventilation and how it worked out. My feeling was it sounded like there was some danger of undersizing it but with the right blower and up against a wall instead of over an island she could probably get away with it.

These remodels really are for the brave of pocketbook because it’ll still be reckless not to keep an $8500 oven from 2007 my builder (who used Wolf elsewhere) commented on (so obvo was taking a shot at upgrades he resented) even if I get some money back by selling it….just like surely $300 to overnight a Gaggenneau unit that wasn’t sched’d be installed for months was also a “compromise” justified to oneself as a consumer manipulated by manufacturer inflexibility.

And it’s definitely the manufacturer and not the local small business who I think probably would have given you the discount if they could’ve gotten it——which I’m only pointing-out because I can tell it made you angry enough to give the difference to FedEx anyway while still going with the same manufacturer but avoiding the distributor/retailer.

That’s not criticism (of you, but recognition seeing myself in the same situation), so please don’t take it as such…..because it’s the manufacturers who don’t have enough sense to be embarrassed by exploiting customers while also being too busy sniffing each others’ butts to innovate.

PS – – who or what is ”Diva”?