Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the Best Garbage Disposal

Posted by omeyers (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 08 at 23:25

What are some preferred garbage disposals? Do you recommend putting in the prep sink also?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the Best Garbage Disposal

We love our Insinkerator Evolution Cover Control (batch feed) garbage disposal, & have it in both our clean-up sink and prep sink. Since the switch is controlled by the stopper, it didn't require a separate switch in our countertop, on our backsplash, or under the sink, and can't be turned on accidentially. There's no rubber flange, so it's easy to see into the disposal.

o

I have a batch feed Insinkerator... and it sometimes gets stuck in the on position even when I take out the stopper thingy. We don't have any other switch to turn it off, either. When it gets like that it is then wide open and running YIKES! So if I were to install one again I would definitely get a switch so that I can turn the darn thing off. I would place it inside the cabinet as a back up.

o

Omeyers - whether you get a batch feed style disposal or a continuous feed style disposal, the most important things are that the disposal has all stainless steel innards and is either 3/4 hp or 1 hp. I myself prefer the batch feed style because I didn't want another hole in my backsplash, and I feel it's safer since it cannot be operated without its stopper. And, regarding brands, there are really only two manufacturers, Insinkerator and Waste King. Both have excellent reputations as long as you stay with their models with the all ss innards and at least 3/4 hp (i.e. not the "Badger" or "Builders Special" disposals). Any other brand names you see, including high-end ones such as Kitchenaid and Viking, are re-badges of those manufacturers.

Zoe52 - I have been on this forum several years, read many threads about disposals, but that is the first time I have heard of what you are describing. As far as I knew, it is physically impossible for a batch feed to run without the stopper, since it is the stopper that turns it on and off. Can you provide more details, like how old is your disposal, and what size or model (i.e. was it one of those "Badger" styles?). If it's fairly new, it should be under warranty. Waste King offers 10 year in-home service warranties on its batch feed disposals, and Insinkerator offers 7 year in-home warranty on its batch feed disposal (the "Cover Control").

o

My old batch feed insinkerator also got stuck in the on position - the switch got stuck on and the cover wouldn't turn it off. In my case I also had a switch under the sink so that I was able to turn it on or off until I replaced it.

o

Disposal in the prep sink? Yes, I use mine in the prep sink much more than in the one in main sink.

In general, I agree with what the others have said: 3/4 to 1 HP, all stainless cutters and chamber. And yes, there are just two makers of disposals in the USA.

Most people get continuous feed models, not the batch feed models. These require a switch, but when turned on work until all the food is gone. Batch feed models (about twice the price) require you to load them, then run a batch, and if there is more food, to repeat the process. Batch feed models are larger than continuous feed models, which is sometimes a consideration, especially in preps sinks (small cabinets).

Two other points to consider: If you are putting one in an island, get an air switch. Only about $50, this devices allows you to install a waterproof switch on the island top for the disposal. Not needed on a unit installed next to a wall. Buttons to match any finish of faucet are available (most come with white and chrome buttons, with others extra cost). Have the electrician provide a non-switched outlet for the air switch. Second, look for a prep sink with the drain in the rear or in a rear corner. This makes MUCH more of the space in the cabinet available for storage.

o

Cpovey - I thought you had given up averring that batch feeds are "twice the price". I do not know where that comes from. The big price differential among disposals is between 3/4 hp and 1 hp, regardless of style of disposal. But the price difference between batch feed and continuous feed disposals, if both are the same hp, is negligible. A price jump of $100 or more occurs when choosing between a 3/4 hp or 1 hp, regardless of style.

Insinkerator Batch Feed Disposal 3/4 hp "Cover Control" = $207

Insinkerator Continuous Feed Disposal 3/4 hp "Evolution Essential" = $201

Insinkerator Continuous Feed 1 hp "Evolution Excel" = $313

Weissman - how old is the disposal you are referring to, and what was the size (i.e. was it a less expensive model?)

o

There are pretty much Waste King's and there are Insinkerator's ...everyone else pretty much uses one or the other.

In all fairness both come with insanely long warranties and hold up well. As others have said, just get a minimum of 3/4HP and you are fine. Waste King makes a 1HP Batch while Insikerator only makes a 3/4

o

Joboxes - as you and others point out, Insinkerator and WasteKing make all the disposals, and the other brand name disposals are just re-badges of those two. So, in that way, Insinkerator DOES indeed make a 1 hp batch feed - it's the Kitchenaid KBDS100T (made by Insinkerator with the KA name on it). It's what I have, and I wouldn't have anything else! Just love it.

In my home growing up, we had a Kitchenaid batch feed disposal for 18 years, problem-free, until my Mom re-did the kitchen and replaced it with a new Kitchenaid batch feed, also problem-free. That type was all I knew until I moved into my own apartment which had a continuous feed disposal. I never really got used to it. The continuous feed disposal switch was placed on the backsplash next to the light switch and I had to be so careful about which one I was turning on. Also, I do not like the slimy flange that covers all continuous feed disposals--who wants to have to slide your wrist past that clammy thing to fish something out? Blech. So for my home, I chose the KA batch feed.

It is essential to note that the batch feed chambers are quite large. My KA 1 hp is really enormous--significantly more than the Insinkerator 3/4 hp batch feeds. Anyone considering a batch feed needs to make sure they have the height availability under their sinks. The specs are easily viewed on the websites. The advantage to such a large chamber is that it holds a lot, so rarely needs to be loaded more than once.

While I realize that my KA is very expensive compared to, say, the Waste King batch feed of a similar size, and that I am paying for the re-badging to the KA name, I nevertheless wanted the KA. Maybe cause it's what I had growing up, or also cause I just liked the name. Oh well. It was money well-spent IMHO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenaid Batch Feed Disposal

o
Waste King

One comment about Waste King - while they are an excellent brand, with disposals that are real workhorses, and amazing in-home warranties, I remember several threads on this forum with Waste King owners complaining that the stoppers are hard plastic, but not stainless steel. My KA stopper is stainless steel (I don't know about the Insinkerators), and I wouldn't want a plastic stopper in my expensive stainless steel sink. Just thought I'd mention it for those shopping for disposals.

o

Our Insinkerator Evolution Cover Control (batch) has a SS stopper with a black rubber edge. The top of the stopper handle has operation details printed in blue for Seal, Drain, & Start.

o

akchicago - the batch disposal I had with the stuck switch was an Insinkerator - I think it was the 555 - it was around 16 or 18 years old when the switch stuck - I wasn't advising against a batch feed - I was just commenting on the fact that zoe52 wasn't the only one who had a batch feed with a stuck switch

o

My insinkerator has a 1HP motor.

o

Before this thread, I didn't even know there WERE different styles of disposals! I love this forum cause I learn so much. Still, after reading this thread, I didn't quite get the difference between "continuous" and "batch" disposal, so I did a search on the internet, and I think I get it now. But I am still puzzled a bit - It looks like the people on this thread prefer the Batch Disposal. Soooo, my question is, if the batch type is about the same price as the continuous, offers the same warranty, doesn't have the "slimy flange" that Shannon talks about, and doesn't need the cost of installing a switch (looks like the switch adds $50 PLUS the labor to install the switch), why does anyone choose the continuous type? There must be a reason that everyone I know has the continuous type, and it's the only type I knew about before reading this thread. Please discuss the advantages of the continuous disposal and explain why so many people have them , if the batch has all the above-listed advantages? Thanks.

o

Count me among those who ended up choosing a continuous feed model (Insinkerator, 3/4 HP IIRC). While I liked the idea of no separate switch, the apparent inability to run water down it while it was running bugged me. Another downside is that when you've got some material in it, it may not drain well, meaning you'll have to stick your hand into with the lead to make it operate. Not a big deal, of course. And the upside of a switch is that it's always there, and you don't have to go hunting for the lid. And finally, as previously mentioned, the batch models tend to be taller, which may limit how deep your sink can be, or what else you can put under the sink.

Why have you never heard of the batch-feed models? Because they only come in the expensive model, not the Badger or builder's special. They're probably not in stock at the Home Depot. Only the sad obsessed people like us, who spend days browsing the internet for the *perfect* disposal find out about them. Everybody else just takes what was installed in the house originally, or is the cheapest replacement.

o

I have a continuous feed. I like being able to run water and continue to swipe food down the disposal while it's on. The flange isn't really a big deal and it's easily removable if you want to clean it. In fact, I sometimes remove it when I'm sticking big pieces of food down and just shove it back in later.

o

You certainly can run water into the batch disposal while it's running and you're supposed to. The lid lifts up a little so it's not completely sealed and water can enter the disposal while it's running. Either kind works - some prefer one - some the other.

o

Just want to say that I've had both kinds in kitchens I've moved into, and prefer batch feed: I think it's safer and easier to use. I used to have issues with the continuous feed where I'd stick something in, whiz it, and then have to peer through the flange because it didn't seem to 'sound clear'. As weissman says, absolutely you run water into a batch feed disposal while you're whizzing it.

o

"the apparent inability to run water down it while it was running bugged me"
As Weissman also said, batch disposals should be operating while the water is running. I don't know what prompted Vmolesg to make his/her statement. Simply look at any batch feed's operating manual, and you will see the instruction to run the water while the disposal is operating.

"when you've got some material in it, it may not drain well, meaning you'll have to stick your hand into with the lead to make it operate"
Material in any drain, REGARDLESS of whether it's with a batch feed or continuous feed disposal, will slow down the drainage of water until the material is ground. The drainage has nothing to do with the style of disposal. Furthermore, if you have a 3/4 hp or 1 hp disposal, it should be powerful enough to grind thoroughly. Again, the manuals give a list of things that should not be ground, like pits or aluminum or glass. My KA's instruction manual allows many surprising things like bones and corn husks to be ground. I have never had a problem, and as I mentioned in my prior post, my family had a batch feed disposal for more than 18 years, without any problems, including drainage.

"They're probably not in stock at the Home Depot."
Yes, they are - Insinkerator Cover Control Batch Feed at HD. And at Lowe's. And Sears (under the Kenmore name). But it is cheaper to buy disposals online.

Juliet3 - in answer to your question - while Vmolesg wrote some erroneous things, he/she is likely correct that continuous feed disposals are more common because they have been available in the cheaper "Badger" lines, sold at large volumes. Batch feeds, as well as the better 3/4 hp and 1 hp continuous feeds, are at the more expensive price points shown in the Akchicago post above. Also, I agree that the height of the batch feed disposals may narrow the field of purchasers. I have a 1960's house, and a 9" deep sink, and had no problem with height, but it depends on your own setup.

o

Mea culpa on the "running water while it's running" thing. I'm running on memory from two years ago, which is obviously not that good. At least I wimped out with "the apparent"...

Regarding the drainage issue, apparently I wasn't clear. Of course drainage will slow with either style. My point was that with the continuous feed, I can reach up and flick the switch, while with the batch feed you'll need to find the lid and stick your hand down in the water. This might bother some people.

o

With a single basin sink, I'm not about to put the stopper anywhere but in the drain, on the grid, or on the sink ledge.

I've never had to put my hand down into stopped up water. If anything, the batch encourages me to clear it more often because it's so convenient and I can easily see into it. No smelly GD that way, either.

o

Still not following you Vmolesg. So, let's say drainage is slow. If that is due to something stuck, REGARDLESS of whether it's a batch feed or continuous feed, you'd have to "stick your hand down in the water" to fish it out. However, the batch feed's advantage in that situation is that there is no flange covering the hole, so that (a) you'll be able to see clearly into the drain to see what's stuck, and (b) you won't have to slide your wrist past a clammy flange. Alternatively, if the drainage is slow simply cause things haven't ground completely, you would push the cover down to continue operating the batch feed disposal, or flick the switch to operate the continuous feed disposal. In that example with things just needing more grinding, there'd be no need to "stick your hand down in the water" with either style. Regarding "needing to find the lid" - where would the lid walk off to? - I can't see someone carrying the lid off somewhere; wouldn't it be in the sink or next to sink? I've never had to go searching for a drain lid.

There are certainly pros and cons to both styles of disposals, and they have been already listed in this thread. I just don't think the drainage point you are making differentiates the disposals for anyone trying to decide between the two.

o

Sigh. I'm not talking about reaching into the disposal to clear a clog. I'm talking about the few inches of water and that has built up in the bottom of the sink. As I wrote in the original post, "Not a big deal, of course," but it might matter to some. As for looking for the drain lid, you clearly have more room around your sink than I do, or are better about not letting pans and such pile up. For *me*, not having an extra piece to keep track of is a *small* advantage. For *me*, that and the size issue (the batch feed was about an inch too long for me to fit between my deep sink and my desired pullout drawer/tray/whatever) was enough to lead me to the continuous feed. YMMV, as it so often does.

o

Oh, NOW I understand you. OK. Fair enough.

o

I've always had batch feed disposals and have been very happy with them. I currently have two--one insinkerator cover control and one 1 hp Waste King. I find that the Insinkerator does a better job, even though it is only 3/4 hp.

If I could do it over, I would replace the Waste King with another Insinkerator.

o

Who makes a prep sink with the drain in the rear or the rear corner as posted above? I agree it would give you more space but I didn't know there was such a prep sink. Are they at Home Depot or Lowe's? Brand name of sink?

o

On the sink, my prep sink is a Blanco, roughly 15" square and has a rear corner sink -- or whatever corner you want. It does help keep more room open in the cabinet.

On the disposer, for the prep sink we bought a 3/4 HP Evolution Compact and love it. It is much quieter. We had an electrician here. He heard it and couldn't believe it was on. He'd just installed a disposer for another customer the day before and said he didn't know there was one that quiet. I bet he's installing the Evolution now.

We have a 1 HP under the main sink -- also an Insinkerator. It's the only thing we kept for the old kitchen, but when it goes, we'll get an Evolution. And by the way, the price above seem higher than what we saw and paid, but that was a year ago. I can't tell you how much they've changed versus how much they vary from place to place.

o

Waste King is the best. The TOL models have a lifetime warranty with that warranty why look elsewhere.

o

I love our 3/4hp waste king. It is the best disposal I've ever had. I actually find it theraputic to "dispose" of waste in it. I recently made a batch of chicken stock and decided to see what it could do, so I disposed of the chicken parts, bones and all, down the disposal. It didn't hesitate and liquified everything. Its a workhorse, and I got it on Ebay for about $130. I've had 2 friends buy them for their kitchens and they love them too. I love the appliances we put in our remodel, but this one is definately the best bang for the buck.

o

I'm not having a prep sink, but rather two full sized sinks. Both will have what I believe (for me) are the "best" disposals; The ISE Evolution Excel continuous feed with countertop air switch control.

Check it out on ISE's site. These babies can crunch up CELERY and ONION SKINS! I have an older ISE model in my current home and for 10 years it has happily crunched up coffee grounds, chicken bones, multiple slices of pizza, and other stuff daily. I never put celery, large quantities of rice or pasta (cooked or uncooked - a potential plumbing disaster if it doesn't flush down far enough) or onion skins in it and it has never jammed. Once I had to have the main drain snaked, but the house was built in 1948 and the drain had been clogging for years according to the plumber. I grew up in a house that always had as ISE disposal too.

So, based on my personal experience w/the brand and the claims ISE makes for the Excel, for me it was a no brainer to buy this one (much to the chagrine of my snooty plumbing supply sales woman who wanted to sell me a zillion dollar other brand.)

BTW, mine were $315 each including the airswitch at Paul's Appliances in Newark NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: ISE Evolution Excel

o

I just saw this garbage in my Costco flyer. It has 1.5 Horsepower, with the brand name Titan. Does anyone know anything about it? It sounds like a great buy at $110, and I need 3 disposals, so it really adds up!

Here is a link that might be useful: Titan 1 1/2 hp Garbage Disposal

o

That Titan looks a lot like my Waste King. From what I've read every disposal is manufactured by either Waste King or ISE and then rebranded if not sold directly under their label. The Titan also has a 10 year warranty which I only see on Waste Kings, again making me think its a rebranded WK, which is a good thing because I love mine (see my earlier post) and thats a great price. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that 1.25 HP may cause food to eject from the chamber when you turn it on. I had read that from someone else's post about their 1hp WK when I was doing my research, however if its a batch feed it can't eject anything.

o

Thanks, abdl. I hadn't thought about the consequences of the disposal being too powerful!

I did some googling, and according to the website plumbersurplus.com the Titan is made by Joneco. Do any of our garbage disposal experts know much about this? Is this a Waste King disposal with a facelift?

Thanks for any advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joneca Disposers

o

You can actually put a stopper on a continuous disposal and treat it like a batch disposal. I have an insinkerator and they sell a stopper that has a center part that can be lifted up like the batch model, so that water can enter the disposal while it's running.

o

Here's my question, if someone can answer it. We were just about to lay down $200 bucks for an ISE, Excel I think. In their lit they claim a "two-stage" technology. We have had cheaper one-stage disposals in the past and have not been happy.
Then comes the Costco flyer, Titan 1-1/4hp for $110. Reading all the posts, many refer to a need for stainless steel components. Does the Titan offer that? Is "two-stage" technology important? Is the Titan (Waste King?) a dependable, high quality brand for the money?

I would appreciate any helpful guidance.

cbsacks

o

I purchased one of Those Titan's from Costco last year when they were offering it at a discounted introdcutory price. I was skeptical, but I liked the look and features. i've been using it for some time now, and have not had any problems. Installation was super easy, and I went back to the same company and bought an oil rubbed bronze sink flange set to compliment my kitchen. The flange was very robust and I've been very happy with both products. The answer to your question is yes! I kept the box and it does have stainless steel components, fully insulated,dishwasher hookup,and something called Bio Shield anitimicrobial for odor protection. Mine came with a coupon for a free Mr.Scrappy disposer tool (can't live without one now!), and the Silver Guard magnets that catch your silverware before they can fall into the disposer. ANyway, I did some research on the company before I made the transition from all I knew...Insinkerator...and found out that they have been manufacturing disposers for over 20 years with several other successful brands. I couldn't find a disposer with comparable features for the price anywhere. Couldn't find Titan on their Joneca site, but their International Company, Anaheim Marketing International has some info, specs and stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Titan Garbage Disposers

o

I can only offer my experience with not-so-good disposers. I'm on my third one in twelve years, and I'll be replacing it shortly as we do our kitchen remodel.

I currently have a "Waste Maid" Model 358 1/2 HP model. It looks like it comes from the same company as "Waste King" who also makes the "Titan" unit that folks here have been talking about. I'm assuming that "Waste Maid" is their "lower end" models. It's about four months old, and I hate it! It has a 8 year warrantee, which I thought was a good sign, but it never had performed. It feels weak, and doesn't drain good. I didn't do any research on it before buying it, so I take the blame for being uninformed.

I've gone through two ISE units (don't remember the models), but they both were cheapies. The last one started rusting out, and leaking and smelling really bad, which prompted me to replace it with something else. HomeDepot only had what appeared to be more cheapie versions of ISE, so I went with the "Waste Maid" from a plumbing shop.

The lesson learned: When you buy cheap, you almost always get what you paid for!

I'm definately "buying up" this time, probably with either a ISE Evolution Excel, or the Titan 1.25 HP model, since those seem to be well received.

I wonder which one is quieter? I'd hate to have the whole house shake when I turn on the mega-powerful garbage disposer!

o

The scenario that vmolesg described is exactly why I switched from batch feed to continuous feed in a prior kitchen. When I redo my current kitchen, I'll likely replace my continuous with another continuous even though I have (and will have) a double bowl sink - but my previous kitchen had a single bowl, and I frequently had to fish my hand through greasy, mucky water (and pots, pans dishes and knives) to run the batch feed in order to get some fresh water in for clean up.

So while vmolesg may have tempered the statement with "probably not a big deal" - he/she was also correct in saying it "may be for some". For me, it absolutely was the deciding factor between batch and continuous.

I also thought "keeping track" of the stopper was a PITA. It always stayed in/near the sink, but most often it was just propped (but not engaged) in the drain - that meant the fishing of the hand through the muck to engage the stopper was usually preceded by fishing through the muck to first locate the stopper (again, while gingerly avoiding any sharp implements that might be hidden under the surface.)

o

It looks like it comes from the same company as "Waste King" who also makes the "Titan" unit that folks here have been talking about. I'm assuming that "Waste Maid" is their "lower end" models.

Respectfully to Msloan, these assumptions are incorrect. So for anyone reading this thread and shopping for a disposal, the company WASTE KING, one of the two largest food waste disposer manufacturers in the world (the other is Insinkerator), does NOT make Titan or Waste Maid units. Titan and Waste Maid are both made by subsidiaries of a company called Anaheim Marketing International. Anaheim Marketing International is not at all related to the parent of Waste King, which is Anaheim Manufacturing Corp. (following me still?)

Waste King, the company that offers in-home warranties on its high-quality disposals, is a subsidiary of Anaheim Manufacturing Corp., and has been in business making disposals since the 1960's. I have to wonder why "Anaheim Marketing", the maker of Titan and Waste Maid disposals, chose their name to so closely resemble the Waste King manufacturer, Anaheim Manufacturing. In any case, it would be incorrect and unfair to lump together Waste King with those two other names.

Furthermore, as mentioned earlier in this thread, a quality disposal should have at least 3/4 hp or 1 hp motor (not 1/2 hp).

In summary:
-Anaheim Manufacturing Corp. makes Waste King disposals
-Anaheim Marketing International makes Titan and Waste Maid disposals, but NOT Waste King.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waste King Disposals

o
Small Correction

Just a small correction to my previous post where I said Waste King has been manufacturing disposals since the 1960's. Their website actually says they've been making disposals since 1946.

o

Thanks so much for the clarification, akachicago. I obviously assumed the two "Anaheim" companies were one and the same, and had lumped the "Waste King" and "Waste Maid" products together (which is probably what the "Waste Maid" marketing people wanted me to do, doh!).

o

Personally, I bet that Anaheim Marketing and Anaheim Manufacturing are really owned by the same people.

Address of Anaheim Manufacturing:
4240 E. LaPalma Ave
Anaheim, CA

Address of Anaheim Marketing International:
4332 E. LaPalma Ave
Anaheim, CA

In other words, they are next to each other. Google maps confirms this.

I bet what happened is that, for some tax or legal reason, when Anaheim Manufacturing went international, the owners set up a seperate company to distribute the products overseas. Maybe the International ones are made overseas as well?

There has to be something to this, as Anaheim Manufacturing says they are one of only two makers of disposals in the USA. ISE is obviously the other (and larger ones, with about 2/3 of the market).

o

Re: Titan disposer

My in-laws have 2 of these (from Costco), one in the prep sink, one in the main sink.

I hate them. They are noisy, and the entrance / flange is small. Getting food into them is a mess. The rubber gasket comes out a lot, leading to a scary and splattery situation.

Stick with Insinkerator. They are worth the extra money. We installed 3 in our renovation (2 in the kitchen, one in the butler's pantry). Love them.

o

Has anyone bought a Titan 1.25 HP disposer from Costco?
Is it too powerful or too loud?
I don't know if I should buy a 3/4 HP instead.
I was also considering a Kenmore 1/2 HP disposal that was a CR's Best Buy.

o

Just bought and installed a Insinkerator Compact....very quiet and effecient compared to GE that went after 7 years....got it at Home Depot for 159...so far so good

o

The Best Disposer that you can buy today is Viking.Viking used to make theres by hand but they are now made by Ise BUT they still have the same grind System as there Old one for the most part.It is not a rebadge Ise for the most part that is.Viking bought the rights from Whirlpool of Kitchenaids/Hobart disposer Kitchenaids used to be one of the best out there till Whirlpool bought them and ruined them.I am a mechanical engineer and collect vintage appliances as a hobby of mine and I have got about 15 disposers from the 60s and up.There are only 3 makers for disposers in the U.s. today.Wasteking,I.s.e. and WhiteRock which are from china and under the name of Sinkguard.Ise and Wasteking are the main players though which I will talk about.Wasteking was bought out by Sinkmaster the older Wastekings were some of the best out there until they were took over.Sinkmaster took over and ruined it also in my point of view.Wasteking used to be Thermadore and made the best dishwashers out there but not any more.I have a bunch of old Wasteking disposer and its just unreal the quality of the old ones compared to todays.Kitcheaid as I said was a part of Hobart after Whirlpool bought and destroyed them Ise started to make there disposer by just slapping a K.a. name on them and charging 100 bucks more.There is NO Differnce at all between any of the Kitcheaid,Kenmore,Maytag,Whirlpool until just a few months ago when Ise came out with there Evolution series which are a VAST improvement but only if you go with the top model though.Viking hand made there disposers for years they were just like the Old Kitchenaids back in the good days.They has cast Iron everything and weigh about 45 pounds folks out there that had might rember certain Kitchenaids the old ones they had a button on them Viking calls it Jaminator Kitchenaid called it Wham-a jam.I have two Vikings one of the old ones and one of the new ones the good thing about going with Ise is they lowered the price by 200 bucks I paid 600 for my first one then had to wait for it to be made.The Ise made one I got it for 350 and it took about 4 days the grind system is the same.Cast grind ring and cast Flywheel amd Fixed hammers on it.Folks you wont hear that clicking noise with the Vikings and the Flywheel alone is as thick as a Pen is wide.The Viking also has undercutters that after the waste is ground up and fixing to go down the drain it is gound again.Viking is the only one out there that has a real undercutter on it.The New Evolution Excel model only has what they call a undercutter but it does not work well at all.I have tested both of them and the Excel while a whole lot better than the old Ise 777 just is not anywhere close when you can get a Viking for the same price as a Excel disposer.The Vikings can grind anything cornhusks,Steak,rib,chicken bones,wax paper,teabags and I could go on and on.I have never had a clogging with the Vikings I had to have the line dug up with the Ise disposers.If you look at the insides of them next to each other you could tell which is better in a sec.Its sad that the bean counters make everything throw away nowdays unlike they used to be.I have a Maytag 1/2 H.p. disposer made is 1976 which will grind anything rember the grinding nails video commercail and today they just add power which dont really help it just makes people think cause it has all this power it is better but the guts of it are dreadful stamped steel junk but its cheaper for them to sell power than to put good parts in them.Yes the Viking is made by Ise but it still has what counts the thick cast Sharp grind rind and all the other good stuff from the days when everything wasnt throw away...P.s. Sorry about my Grammer I am terrible at it.

o

I had the batchfeed KA and loved it and intend to get another one when I remodel. But, saying that and reading volsboy77 I may have reconsider. Now that KA is owned by whirlpool, I hope I am not getting garbage, no pun intended!!.

o

If they did to their disposals what they did to their stand mixers, I'd definitely reconsider.

o

Cpanther95, the Kitchenaid 1 hp batch feed disposal is still made by Insinkerator. As has been mentioned a few times in this thread, if you buy at least a 3/4 hp or 1 hp disposal with all stainless steel innards, you will have a quality machine.

I couldn't follow Volsboy77's message very well, and I don't think it's very accurate (for example Waste King did not used to be Thermador), and don't know where Volsboy77 gets his information. Although I have a KA batch feed disposal and love it, I do know that Waste King makes really excellent disposals, the real workhorses in the market. A company which offers 10-year and even lifetime warranties is not incurring that sort of risk without confidence in the quality of its machines. So I believe that with either Kitchenaid batch feed 1 hp model, or the Waste King's 3/4 and 1 hp models, or the Insinkerator 3/4 or 1 hp models, you will be happy with your disposal.

o

I had never heard of batch feed until we bought this house.

We weren't even sure how to use it (keep turning it on an off from safety switch under sink :-)

But, with my son it is the only one I would ever have. It is so much safer than continuous feed. He is 5 and just likes to see what will happen if . . . and what does this do...?

I do not like the whole sticking my hand down in murky water to turn on batch feed, but at the same time with old continuous feed how many time did you turn on the switch with the murky water only to hear the awful sound of metal on metal and have to reach in for that mangled teaspoon (or milk carton lid or whatever)

I hated reaching into the darkness of the unknown with the continuous feed. With the batch I can at least see what is down there.

We have the 3/4 hp insinkerator and I plan to replace with the same with the remodel (I read I think on this old house of somewhere that it is not advisable to resuse disposals because they just don't work as well -- I don't know why and I have no personal experience with it)

o

Just for balance, I'll chime in and say I like the continuous feed, and I like the flange :) I like being able to turn it on and feed it melon rinds without cutting them up. I like being able to rescue things that fall in from the flange without having to reach into the works at all. I like being able to use it as a pump, which is what Vmolesg was talking about. I like the separate switch that never wanders. I don't like it when the switch is put in a place where it looks like a lightswitch, but that's a functional design issue, not something about the unit itself. I just like them better.

Not arguing with anyone here. Just mentioning it for people who are looking for alternate views :)

o
RE: volsboy77,What's the Best Garbage Disposal

does anyone else have a viking 1hp disposal ?
and volsboy77 can you comment on the benefit of continuous versus batch in the viking.

finally with the viking volsboy777, do you think there is anything to avoid (food) puttting down the sink to prevent clogging.

what other tips could you give me to avoid clogging of pipe

thanks, neville

o

Anyone else agree that the Viking is a step above the rest? It's sad that the Viking name has pretty much become a joke with quality that doesn't come close to its competition. I look at the Viking name as a "badge of ignorance" that others will see when they come into my kitchen knowing that I paid many times what it was worth.

However, having said that, I still haven't found an alternate product for the Viking 18" trash compactor (with the separate trash chute), so I'm definitely getting that. If the garbage disposal is also a exception to be made, I'd consider that as well.

o

anyone have any experience with Franke disposals?

i have always just used ISE, but the person we're working with on our appliances has highly recommended Franke for our kitchen remodel that we're working on.

Oh, and hello! i'm new to this board. been reading for a few weeks planning our remodel and finally registered so i can post. this board has been a wonderful resource for me, so thanks!

o

I believe Franke is a rebadged Waste King. Save yourself some money and buy the Waste King brand if thats what you want. Same disposer with the higher priced Franke name. Just purchased the Waste King Legend 9980 3 bolt 1hp, lifetime guarantee model online for $179.99

o

Thermador was part of Wasteking.shannonplus2 is lacking when it comes to disposers and I wonder if she knows that Kitchenaid used to be owned by Hobart.Wasteking/Thermador were owned by Norris Ind.If you want proof that I am right Google Thermador/Wasteking and you will see.I am talking about the past they were split up and are now differnt.

o

Just as a follow-up eventhough it looks to be an older thread. volsboy77 is correct on the viking/hobart/ise relationship. Viking bought the rights to Hobart and needed an assembly line so they contracted it out to Insinkerator. Insinkerator make the viking disposal to the old Viking/Hobart specs. The specs are closer to their commercial lines than the residential lines and thats the main difference.

Not sure why viking has done what its done as it prices their model signiicantly higher than the rest but it does allow people to get a pseudo commercial unit for nearer to residential pricing. The real commercial waste disposers are about 1-3K and run on 208-240 single/three phase. Can't imagine viking moves many of them as they don't really heavily promote it, but people who do have a viking disposer probably wouldn't give it up - it really is a monster compared to the rest. which can't be said about the rest of their line these days.

o

Thanks Athem its nice to know when people have the facts right.To clear up some more ??? just because you have all SS Steel in your disposer does not make it great.The design of the grind system is what does it.shannonplus2 will lead alot of Folks to have nothing but problems with clogs and what you can put in there.Waste Kings are O.k. but they ARE VERY LOUD when they run because the use a permanent magnet motor which does have some advantages but there loud and the swinging hammers just swing 180 Degrees and bump into a metal stop.So as it grinds thats all you hear is Click-Click it drives me nuts.The whole disposer is made out of Epoxy resin which cant rust but even the sink flange on most are plastic.The Grind ring is stamped Steel there is NO undercutters on any of them so no cornhusks or stringy things.I.S.E. use induction motors there are the same is Dishwashers,washers and they are alot less noisy than W.K. motors.The Kitchenaid that Shannon is raving about is a terrible disposer the grind system is awful and its the Exact same as the Kenmore,Maytag.There is nothing sharp in there just swinging hammers that sling the food at a chez greater stamped steel ring that is on the side of the wall.Kitchenaid has redone there line they now use Ise Evolution disposers which are pretty good but they dont make a Batch feed no more at all.I.s.e. as made a Magnetic type of device that fits under the the sink so you can covert just about any of them to a Batch-feed now.If I was going to buy a disposer I would only get the Viking because the grind system is just the best.The food is broke up and ground between the Flywheel and the cast ring and there is teeth that undercut the grind ring and it acts like shears I have put everything down it and and caught the discharge and its pureee no chucks nothing.You dont have to worry about it clogging plus the disposer will last longer cause it has Cast alloy grind system which is harder than just SS Steel.Plus with Fixed hammers it makes less racket than others.The Ise EXCEL ONLY is a good disposer for the most not bad at all.It has Fixed and Swinging hammers the grind ring is stamped steel so not as tough as the Viking but its a good disposer.Its also the disposer that makes very little noise the differnce is unreal between all the other I.s.e. dont be fooled by the Lowes Esteem model just cauz its a 1 H.p. like I said H.p. is not that big a deal.The other evolution models stay away from just get the excel the others have No undercutters and they dont have the fixed and swing hammers which speeds up grind and grinds finer.The One thing about the Excel is there is a Jam-Sensor in it.Now when you first turn it on (Excel mod only)there is a Pause its strange and draws alot of power but thats normal nothing to worry about.That same statement goes for the New TOL Kitchenaid also sence its the Excel just rebaged.The Reason shannon that Wasteking has such good warranty on them is not the build quality.The Reason is they have only 15 to 20% of the market share and they know how Noisy theres are and alot of them are returned.Trust me Folks I have 15 disposers in my home I collect old things the best disposer were the old MAYTAGS/Kitchenaid-Hobart,sence you cant get the old Maytags but you can get a Hobart clone so go with the Viking first if not that the I.S.E. EXCEL ONLY.You can put anything in them and not worry.Here are the specs of the Viking notice the last thing about the Batch feed.Exclusive Grind System

Solid cast grind wheel
2 Fixed stainless steel impellers for quick, quiet grinding
Continuous cutting from 18 uppercutters and 16 undercutters
Precision-balanced for smooth, vibration-free performance
Solid cast shredder ring
45 double-edged cutters
Exclusive 1,417,500 uppercuttings and 1,260,000 undercuttings per minute - approximately 15 times that of the nearest high-end competitor
Highly effective for use with septic tanks
Anti-Jamming System

Capacitor start motor is one of the most powerful motors available in a home disposer
Automatic reversing
Grind wheel moves in opposite direction with each start, breaking the jams that stop ordinary disposers
Reverse action doubles cutter life
Exclusive Power Plus Jam-inator Button
Solid state device causes the grind wheel to oscillate approximately 7,000 times per minute, pulverizing even the toughest jams
Full insulation surrounds unit for super-quiet operation
Quiet Operation

Sound-absorbing, grind-area insulation
Six isolating gaskets in key operating areas for sound absorption and reduced vibration
Quiet, efficient fixed impellers eliminate noise generated by ordinary swivel blades and will not swing away from waste
Durable Components and Quick Installation

Stainless steel, corrosion-resistant upper housing
Cast aluminum drain chamber with protective polymer shield
Permanently lubricated primary bronze bearing
Quick groove-twist lock installation makes it easy to replace disposer or install for the first time
Optional Accessories

Batch Feed Accessory Kit (BFAK) converts continuous feed disposer into magnetically activated batch feed unit

o

Volsboy, you seem very angry, and I don't know why. Calm youself down.

As to my Kitchenaid 1 hp disposal, I have had one in my current kitchen for 4 years no problem. Growing up my family had a Kitchenaid disposal for 18 years without a problem. My mother replaced it when she re-did the kitchen. She replaced it with another Kitchenaid, again no problem.

I have been on this forum for several years, and not once has any poster reported a problem with either a Kitchenaid or Waste King disposal. I do no think your sentence "shannonplus2 will lead alot of Folks to have nothing but problems with clogs" has validity. That has not proven to be the case at all. People can search this forum, or elsewhere on the 'net to bear me out. So, if someone is reading this thread who might be shopping for a disposal, they would do well with the Kitchenaid 1 hp, the Waste King's 3/4 hp or 1 hp, or the Insinkerator 3/4 hp or 1 hp disposals.

Volsboy, I actually couldn't get through most of your message. I think people would read your messages through, and take them more seriously, if you used punctuation, a bit of grammar and an occasional paragraph break.

o

I was Angry.When you said," I don't think it's very accurate (for example Waste King did not used to be Thermador), and don't know where Volsboy77 gets his information."WasteKing/Thermador were both part of Norris Ind.I was also bugged because how much money I spent on Roto-Rooter and you plugging I.s.e./Kitchenaid.I just did'nt want folks to spend a TON of $$$ on clogs like me.When they could just spend a little more on a Viking and get one that will last and Never clog your lines.I should'nt have took it as a Attack and Im sorry about that.I am a mechanical engineer but,I am TERRIBLE at grammer.I know how a Linear particle accelerator works but,can't even compose a simple letter without my Asst doing it.Your parents Kitchenaid was made by Hobart,that stoped when Whirlpool bought Kitchenaid.Thats why it lasted so long it is nothing like the ones from the last 15 years.So your Kitchenaid is no differnt than a Kenmore until just a few months ago when they went with the Evolution models from I.s.e. like most I have alot a fault's and my temper is one, again I apologize.

o

A waste disposer isn't rocket science, but a summary of its operation is in order. Here's a simplified drawing of the machinery involved:

Here's how it works: when you toss a bunch of stuff in the hole, it ends up sitting on top of the turntable. When the disposer is running, the stuff is slung outwards against the shredder ring. It's not clear in this illustration, but the shredder ring has a series of slots in it, the edges of which are sharp. The lugs, which are loosely attached to the turntable so they can swivel around and jingle, help bash the stuff against the shredder ring. As the stuff is dragged along the shredder ring, small chips are shaved off and go through the slots and fall into the chamber below the turntable. With a good flow of water, all these chunks are stirred around under the turntable until they make their way out the outlet into the waste piping system.
Since the slots in the shredder ring are pretty small, the shavings that come through it should also be pretty small -- small enough that you wouldn't expect them to cause any problems down the pipes. However, it is possible for stringy stuff, like some types of beans, artichoke leaves, corn husks, things like that, to get in here and make a real mess of things. The stringy parts can get pulled through the slots in the shredder ring lengthwise, then get wrapped around the shaft of the motor, or head on down the pipe and congregate in a trap and plug the drain.
Residential waste disposers are generally available with 1/3 to 1 horsepower motors, with commercial units having even more power. Really, it's hard to imagine any of these power options being a problem; 1/3 horsepower is plenty for chomping up everyday food scraps, and if you need more power than that you might want to rethink what kinds of junk you're shoving down the hole for me I want the biggest baddest a guy thing.
There are, in fact, two general types of disposer: continuous feed models, and batch feed models. Most models you're likely to find are continuous feed models; the idea here is that you run the water and start the disposer running before you put any scraps in the hole. In other words, the unit is not designed to have to start from stationary with scraps in the disposer. Do you feed the scraps in while it's running? Not likely; most people put it in the hole first, then hit the switch -- and this is how disposers get jammed. Fortunately, disposers include a breaker that will trip if the motor gets jammed, and some include a wrench that you can stick in the bottom to manually turn the rotor. Some of the upper-end models even include an auto-reverse feature to clear jams.

The batch feed models are intended to be loaded before starting. You can tell these models by the way they are operated; the plug must be inserted into the drain and twisted to start the disposer. Perhaps a good safety feature; you theoretically cannot have your hand in the disposer when it's running.

Regardless of the type disposer, you probably don't care about the power as much as you care about the starting torque or stall torque. Unfortunately, nobody advertises their stall torque. Even if they did, you'd have to check the diameter of the turntable to be sure you're comparing apples to apples; a larger turntable requires more torque to provide the same force at the edge where the shredder ring is.

Now, to throw a really big monkey wrench in the discussion: there are two general types of motor used in waste disposers. Most have split phase induction motors, and you can tell these by the rpm written on the box: 1725. However, there are also disposers with commutator motors, and these generally spin much faster; the ones made by GE are rated at 2800 rpm. Commutator motors are considerably smaller than induction motors, although that might not be apparent underneath the sound shielding surrounding the unit.

There are more differences, though. When a motor turns faster, it doesn't require as much torque to develop the same horsepower, so a motor that turns 8000 rpm can have less than 1/4 the torque of the induction motor with the same horsepower rating. That's not a problem, though, for two reasons. First, since the commutator motor turns faster, it can be made with a considerably smaller turntable and still move the scraps through the shredder ring in a hurry, and a smaller turntable means less torque needed. Second, commutator motors inherently have a lot more starting torque than induction motors -- and, as mentioned above, starting torque is where it's at with waste disposers. The long and short of it: either type motor seems to work pretty well at disposing of waste.

Commutator motors -- especially ones with permanent magnets -- are also considerably more energy-efficient than induction motors. That's totally unimportant here, though; a waste disposer probably uses a quarter's worth of electricity in its lifetime. If you don't believe me, look at it this way: a 1-horsepower motor will draw about one kilowatt of electricity. If you run it for an hour, under load (not just spinning with nothing in it), it'll use one kilowatt-hour of electricity, which costs less than a dime. Now, think about how long it would take you to put an hour's operating time on a disposer.

Judging from the promotional blurbs on waste disposers, noise is a really big issue in this market. Frankly, I don't see the importance here save for the Wasteking; sure, some run more quietly than others, but you wouldn't want to start up any of them while your better half is asleep in the next room. And when you do run it, it's only for a matter of seconds; it's not like it's going to be hindering conversation for the entire evening.
If noise is an important issue with you, there are several factors to consider. The most obvious is sound insulation; the better disposers have a plastic shroud built around the upper half (the area of the grind chamber itself; the motor is actually pretty quiet), while the cheap units do not. There are different degrees of such noise shielding, with In-Sink-Erator describing its top two models as having "double baffle" sound insulation. Of course, you could buy a cheap unit and then wrap something around the upper half yourself.

The rubber flappy thing within the drain itself is also a consideration. It is, in fact, one of the most important features to keeping the noise in the grind chamber from getting out into the room. Obviously, if you want to minimize noise, you'll want to put the plug in the hole while grinding -- which means you might want to opt for a batch feed unit instead of the more common continuous feed unit.

With any rotating machine, minimizing sound transmission from its moving parts to the surrounding structures involves soft rubber mountings to isolate vibrations. With a disposer, there are two attachments between the unit itself and the rest of the world: the structural attachment to the bottom of the sink, and the attachment to the drain pipe. Ideally, both of these connections will be made using a flexible rubber isolator. (The wiring could also transmit vibrations, but hopefully nobody will make the mistake of connecting it up using rigid conduit. As long as flexible conduit or, better, a power cord is used, vibration transmission won't be a problem there.)

All In-Sink-Erator models use the same mounting scheme to the sink, and it includes rubber isolation. The rubber flappy thing in the opening is, in fact, the rubber isolator; the outer section of the same part is the mounting grommet for the disposer. It is slipped onto the lip of the disposer, and then the mounting ring compresses this rubber grommet so it grips the lip securely; there is no metal-to-metal contact between the disposer and the sink.

Unfortunately, the connection to the outlet pipe may not be as good. Some disposers use a scheme here where a rubber grommet is fit around the end of the outlet pipe, and then the pipe and grommet are secured to the outlet of the disposer itself with a bolted-on flange that compresses the rubber grommet enough to secure a watertight seal. This will provide good vibration isolation, since the pipe itself touches the grommet only, not the metal flange nor the disposer casing. However, the Kenmore model 60563 I bought in 2001 has a threaded outlet on the disposer, and the pipe connects to it quite rigidly. This may not be much of a concern with PVC piping since the plastic probably absorbs a good bit of the vibration, but if I were plumbing this thing up with metal pipe I'd be concerned. Interestingly, an In-Sink-Erator model 444 observed in a store, while apparently largely identical to the Kenmore 60563, had the better rubber-isolated outlet pipe connection.

You might want to note that the rubber isolation and PVC piping means that the disposer is not electrically grounded to the sink or piping.

In the horsepower discussion, I pointed out that there are two different types of motors used in disposers: induction and commutator. The induction motors run at 1725 rpm, while the commutator motors run much faster; GE claims 2800 rpm for theirs. This makes a world of difference in the sound. The 1725 rpm units make a sort of droning sound as they run, while the commutator units scream by comparison. Even if the actual db levels are comparable, some homeowners may prefer one sound over the other. To some, the induction motor's drone may seem a more relaxed sound while the commutator motor's higher pitch sounds more hyper and irritating. On the other hand, some people might find the higher pitch of the commutator motor less intrusive, while the induction motor's drone seems almost earth-shaking, like it fills the house. On top of this, there's the issue of starting and stopping; the commutator motor starts smoothly and winds up like a jet engine, while the induction motor starts with a sudden kick. Overall, I expect most people will find the induction motor's sound preferable, especially with the high-end units where the unit was clearly designed with minimal noise as an objective.

It may not be obvious, but if you're concerned about noise you might want to look at the sink you're installing this disposer in. Heavy porcelain cast iron sinks don't transmit much sound, so if you mount a reasonably quiet disposer to one you shouldn't get too much racket. Thin stainless steel sinks, on the other hand, can take whatever vibration you feed into them and amplify it like a megaphone. If you have a really cheap stainless steel sink, you know it's noisy; you hear the racket it makes whenever you drop a spoon in it. If you have a better stainless steel sink, it's quiet -- because it comes with a sprayed-on coating of dampening material on the underside. This coating not only makes the sheet metal nice and quiet, it also helps keep the water hot by providing some thermal insulation. So, if you just looked at the bottom of your stainless steel sink and saw nothing but stainless steel, you know of one option for reducing noise: find some of that spray-on stuff and apply it. I don't know if a dedicated product is available, but automotive undercoating might do
These things I have talked about is why I think Viking 1st Evolution Excel 2nd.In the 70s everybody made there own.Maytag which is in my sink now are UNREAL they have a tungsten alloy massive grind ring.The impellers are on bearings and float above the grind table its a massive machine.G.e. made the also which were good some of them were 8000 Rpm and had no grind ring the shear speed ground the food.The other was Kitchenaid/National/Hobart these were made out of cast Iron and commercail quality.The old ones had undercutters so that everything was puree.I.S.E. used to use Cast rings but they went to the stamped ones which there is nothing sharp and the food going down the drain was like large Cole slaw.Potatoes,Celery,Cornhusk cant be ground with out a clog but,with a Viking you can put anything in it and not worry.Auto-reverse is a great feature cause it uses both sides of the grind ring so twice the life than others.Wasteking don't use reverse they are pretty good but,SO Loud by design.Plus they don't have true bearings in them they have a sleave bearing which is just a cork like material that is imprenated in oil.The I.s.e. Excel is Not bad at all but,won't outlast the Viking half of the pass through hole's can be bent out if you are hard on disposer's.I show NO mercy to them at all Raw bones,Steak,Pits,Paper,Coffee filters, and my old Maytag which is just a 1/2 H.p just asks for more same with the Viking which is in my Prep sink.I hope this helps in the maze of makers that try to rip off people.Shannon I hope that my grammer is better but,I am still terrible at it.:)

o
Changing from continuous feed to batch feed?

This question really shows my ignorance, but what if there currently is a continuous feed disposal with a wall switch and you want to put in a batch feed disposal? What electrical considerations have to be made to make the switch? Current disposal is direct wired to the wall switch and there is no outlet plug in the sink base cabinet.

Thanks

o

Well what I would do is just install the Batchfeed disposer using the wiring you have already installed.You would just basicly have two switches though and in doing so you would haved to leave the switch you have now in the on position at all times.Then the disposer would work like it normally would when you turn your disposer on with the stopper.You can get rid of that switch if you want by just opening your switch and wiring them together and you can buy those smooth face plates they look just like a switch plate just no hole or anything.This would be the cheapest way yes maybe a little tacky but it would beat calling somebody out to do it and charge you a ton when they would most likley do the same thing.I am just thinking of cost and your disposer would work just fine like this..

o
Best Garbage Disposal- SEPTIC

Has anyone out there used a garabge disposal with a septic system- I have read that some model/brands are septic safe- but I am very nervous- I have an old system to start with - but i would love a disposal

o

volsboy77

I just wanted to thank you for your detailed tutorial on disposers. That's what I love about this site--I'm always learning something new. Keep up the good work.

o

You can use a disposer with a septic tank.There are things to consider though.The size of the tank and how many people live in your house.My Family owns a huge Farm and we have two disposers in the house and I show them NO mercy at all.I shove everything down them but these are both Viking machines and grind very fine.We have I think a 2000 gallon tank and we have had to have it drained about every 8 years.Using rid-ex helps but things like egg-shells,shrimp,and other things wont break down so at most you might haved to have it emptied more often.I have been told the rule of thumb is to add another person when you have a disposer and a septic tank.Where I live we are on sewer so I put paper towels,Rib-bones,Coffeefilters,Cornhusks,but it all comes down to the kind of disposer you get the finer the grind the better.If your nervous just put soft food that will break down easy.I would get the best disposer though (Viking1st/2ndI.s.e EXCEL ONLY) it would be a lot better on your tank because its more broke down.Oh yea don't bother with the I.s.e. septic tank disposer.

o

Volsboy77 - I have to take exception to one thing you wrote. About how Waste King is very noisy. That is not my experience. We recently installed a Waste King Legend 9980 3 bolt 1hp, lifetime guarantee model online for $179.99. It is much quieter than the 17 year old Kitchen Aid it replaced. Can you hear it - yes, but it certainly isn't loud. And quite frankly, like you, I believe the whole noise issue is overrated. How long dto most people run their disposer? Given the short usage, noise from any brand should not be a big issue or consideration

o

Well the three bolt is less noisy.Than the quick mount. You have the better one of them cause it has a larger hole and it all steel not plastic.I will Admit that the Wasteking motor, the one you have will fight a load to the bitter end.I stuffed mine full of T-bones and turned it on and it ground it up then ripped itself from the sink and was still on sideways.The type of Motor has ALOT of Twisting power you have noticed that it slows down when you start grinding.That is normal for the motor but for me I can't get past the Clicking noise which for some reason bothers me and its worse on the ones below 3/4 H.p. because the hammers are not cast.If you look down there you will see the metal bumps that the hammers slam into there near the center where the ripper is.I know that Whirlpool bought K.a. around 1988 I think and I dont have the Exact date they went to I.S.E.so I don't know if you had the I.S.E. made or the Hobart made.I do know that the old Kitchenaid all had Fixed hammers they dont fling around.If the noise dont bother you thats great they WONT JAM(Wasteking) mine never did and its better than the Kenmore,Maytag,and some others at grinding but if you ever use the New Ise Evolution Excel its amazing you cant hear it over the water even when grinding bones.What I care about more than noise is if it will clog my lines and Wastekings do have less problems than most but no Cornhusks and be careful with Potatoes thoese(No Undercutters) are the worst it seems.Your machine is VERY powerful! fill it with steak bones and standback it will shock you and yours won't Fall down.Its kinda fun:)

o

Volsboy - thanks. Yes, I have noticied the motor is very powerful like you mentioned. Thanks for the advice re: cornhusks and potatoes

o

Costco carries the 1HP Waste King for $99. This price cannot be beat for a 1HP Disposer and Waste King is considered the best of the best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco

o

WOW Apinkus - That is an UNBELIEVABLE DEAL. Thats the same Waste King 9980 I bought online from Ira Woods for $179.99 which a few months ago was the lowest price by $70 anywhere. Costco was not carrying Wasteking at the time - rather they had a cheap imiitation trying to to look like a Waste King (with very similiar company name - that I confirmed was completely unrelated to the Waste King manufacturer).

Anyone needing a new Disposal out to run and get that Waste King from Costco for $99. Unbeatable price

o

So--I just signed a contract with a remodeler to redo my kitchen. He says I should replace my current garbage disposal even though it seems to work just fine (a Kenmore that was here when I moved in 17 years ago and has never had a problem) with a Badger 5. Is this a bad move? He says it would be too hard to reinstall the Kenmore and it will probably be shot in a short time anyway because it is old. Should I keep the one I have, go with the Badger 5 he is recommending or go with something different? I am the only person living here and use it maybe once or twice a week for just a few scraps. Thanks in advance for any advice.

o

Woodstock - on the one hand, I agree with your builder that it is time to replace that 17 year old disposal. On the other hand, I strongly disagree that the replacement should be a Badger 5, or anything with the word "Badger" in it. I know this thread is long, but please read it, especially the first half, as it gives a number of examples of good disposals to buy, and the pros and cons of each. To summarize, make sure your disposal will have all stainless steel innards, and a 3/4 hp or 1 hp motor, which the Badger most certainly does not have. Since you are remodelling your kitchen, a cost of a disposal of $200 to $300 is going to be a small percentage of your budget and very worthwhile.

o

I've been in heaven with my Viking more than 3 1/2 years now. No problems to date like all my past ones. I was so tired of noise and problems not to mention not being able to grind up more things like potatoes skins, bones, etc for years. I told my husband it was time to get something better. No regrets!

volsboy77, Thank you for all the information you've been telling us, it's been an eye opener.

o

Okay, I have narrowed it down to ISE and Wasteking. The thing I have heard about people with the Waste KIng is that it is noisy. Does the model or hp determine the sound? So, should I go with ISE or WK?

Thanks

o

To apinky and berrybrandy, Why do you think that the waste king look a like is a bad unit. It is made by Joneca under the name Titan. It is sold at Costco for 89.00. It actually has some better features than the waste king. The grinding chamber is impregnated with an antimicrobial agent(bio shield) that inhibits odors and smelly gunk from forming inside the disposal. The armature shaft is also stainless steel. This is an area that might rust causing the seal to eventually leak. The waste king shaft is not stainless steel. I called waste king to find out where their disposals are made and I was informed that all waste king models are now made in China. The Titan is also made in China. I'm not sure if waste king has an actual manufacturing plant in china or not. Maybe a different chinese company makes both brands hence the similarity. I too am in the market for a disposal and that is why I am researching disposers. Waste king may have been on top but now that they are made in china I feel they are less credible. I think that is why their prices are now less than before. ISE are made in USA. My badger 5, made in USA, had a galvanized bottom cover under the grind plate that eventually corroded with holes leaking water into the motor. I don't consider that good engineering. They are now 90.00 at lowes. I like complete corrosion proof(plastic) chambers. I don't know if the better ISE models are like this or not. I don't want to spend that much anyway. Even though the Titan may be a better model than the wasteking, I think the waste king lifetime warranty is better. Also, the wasteking would probably be a selling feature on the house because people believe they are better because they are familiar with the name as we have seen already on this sight by berrybrandy.

o

buford

First - its berryberry.

Second - WasteKing is made by Anaheim Manufacturing, a manufacturer. While I guess its possible some of their disposals are now made overseas, I am not sure you have all your facts correct. They have 120 employees (including a large number of manufacturing employees) and a manufacturing facility in Califonia. Want proof - here is a DOL rouling from 2007 and a Hoover's business synopsis

http://www.dol.gov/federalregister/HtmlDisplay.aspx?DocId=12660&Month=2&Year=2007

http://www.hoovers.com/anaheim-manufacturing/--ID__113534--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml

Furthermore, they have been in the business for over 50 years and are acknowledged along with ISE as one of the two big players in the market. Their machines are well rated and their reputation well deserved as per bbelow for an example

http://www.usitoday.com/article_view.asp?ArticleID=528

Titan is made in China and sold by Anaheim Marketing . they have 20 employees and do no manufacturing on their own:

http://www.uschinabuild.org/en/directory/166

Third - Lets assume you did contact Waste King and what you say theyu told you above is correct (which the facts seem to contradict)). Do you know how the china market and knocckoffs work? Many times if a company outsources something to China from their won design, unscrupulius people at the factory will steal or make copies of the molds / models / design and go sell it to another chineses company who then makes a cheaper knock off version of the original. Its made to look and feel like the original but it is not. Ask yourself, why the funny business with Anaheim Marketing trying to create confusion by making the look of their product, company name and location seem similiar to Anaheim Manufacturing? If it looks like a rat, and smells like a rat, it usually is a rat.

Finally, why buy some imitation product when the real thing at Costco is essentially the same price?

o

You are right berryberry.There all the same Wasteking,Titan,G.e.,Franke and any other that look like it they all come off the same line in China.There is no immitation to me if there made in the same place when all they do is slap a differnt color and name.

o

I just received the Waste King 1HP after ordering it from Costco. I can confirm that Waste King does manufacture in China.

Clearly printed on the box is: MADE IN CHINA

I beleive that may be why they are wiling to back it up with a lifetime warranty.

o

Is anyone NOT using a disposal? We have a double sink and a disposal on 1 side. I've never been a fan of them and rarely turn this one on, except to make sure it's cleared out. We compost vegetables and other waste. We have been in drought mode for a couple of years where I live. It seems to me it uses a lot of water to push food into a disposal and turn it on. We are planning a kitchen remodel in the future. I keep thinking when we do that I'll get rid of the disposal. Is there really a good reason to have one if you aren't disposing of trash in one?

o

shouldn't that bubba guy get credit for where the waste king's are made. He pointed that they weren't made in the US. That other poster argued that they were made in the us. Was she wrong or was bubba wrong. I'd rather get a US made one.

o

None of the Wasteking,Wastemaid,Titan,G.e.,Mountainplumbing,Whirlaway,- Franke and any other disposer that says highspeed permenant magnet motor are made in the U.s..The Commercial Wastekings are made here I have one of thoese but there huge and $$$.Joneca and Anaheim Manufacturing Company are the same but they cloak it all in a hall of Mirrors to confuse folks because they all come from China.You did Notice that when I.S.E. introduced the Evolution line of disposers right after that Titan came on the scene and they added more power 1 and 1\4 Hp disposers to Titan and Wastemaid and also Commadore is another of theres.They can't compete with the Ise Excel model at all the Excel has Auto reverse which they trash as needless but in truth it makes your disposer last longer by wearing both sides of the grind ring and the Excel I had in my sink for a while was so quite you wonder if its on with the water running and having a undercutter does help alot.If you look at the manual for the Wastekings they say No corn husks or artichokes, but with the Ise Excel and the Viking you can grind both of these and not worry about clogging your lines. The undercutters on them and that goes double for the Viking acts like kitchen shears.The Viking and Ise Excel are made here in the U.s. by Emerson which one of the largest motor manufacters in the world.I will Admit that the Perm-Mag motors on the W\Ks are VERY powerful but the noise bugs me bad, but some folks it dont bother.G.e. used to make there own but stopped in 2001 they had a 8000 R.p.m. motor in them a heavy duty blender motor for the most part.I like them and have one stored there is No grind ring just two swinging blades they shear speed grinds the food and FAST also but sounds like a Vitamix which basicly it is.So if folks had one of thoese and get a Wasteking it would be less buzzy but that clacking noise drives me nuts and that noise is worse on models below 3/4 Hp the Hammers on them are just thin and light so it clicks more often because of physics.The G.e. didnt make that noise but they do scream but there the fastest disposer I have ever used.Corn-cobs,Steakbones just make a quick buzz and its gone none of that boucing around everybody has heard with all others.I am ruthless with mine and picky and I buy American made A.K.A. Viking,I.S.E.(Excel)or a full blown commercial disposer.

o

Volsboy - curious to know if you have one of the water powered disposers from the now defunct Hydro-Maid corp. If you do I'm interested in your observations of it- aside from the merits or drawbacks of the use of water as the energy source.

o

Yes I had one of thoese Hydro-maid disposers.I wished that it had a eletric motor in it cauz it has a Killer grind system unlike anything every out there.They do work but there SLOW and I do mean slow.They dont have a flywheel at all in them there is about 7 rows of teeth that look kinda like a chainsaw but in a round pattern and they shear the next row.They move very slow but it has alot of torque so it does grind it just takes so long.It worked better when I gave it to my Aunt both of our houses had very high water preasure but we had to have a reducer installed cauz it was knocking out the Ice-maker,Dishwasher and Washer.If you have really high presure it works but if your like me sometimes I have a whole sink full of things to dispose of.Right now in my sick I have a old Fc-10 Maytag and its a monster it will grind it all in a minute or so steak bones included but with the Hydro-maid you would be there for 15 min grinding it.To me it is like using a meatgrinder as a disposer its that slow it does grind good but wastes water I think.There is a good disposer on Ebay right now its a older Kenmore from the 80s with a cast grind ring.The Ebay Item number: 300249090044 that disposer is pretty good you can see the pics of the grind chamber there is NO Kenmore like that with that cast ring in it anymore.

o

Thanks volsboy77. I'll but a USA made ISE over any of the China made ones. I guess buford2b was right and berryberry was wrong about Wasteking being made in china. I'm glad I didn't listen to berryberry's advise saying otherwise. She was wrong and was rude to buford2b. Just because someone lacks knowledge dosen't mean they should be rude to someone that knows what their talking about. What ISE model would either buford2b or volsboy77 reccomend for about $150.00. Thanks

o

Some people think there always right no matter what they say there right your wrong.I am a mechanical engineer and run into that alot at work, the I know everything people.I grew up taking everything apart to find out how it works thats why I got into engineering.I have right now 18 disposer's in my growing collection and Wasteking used to one of the best out there when Norris Ind owned them and Thermador.They were great machines they had blades in them and heavy cast steel everything and induction motor's not these rectified D\C motor's thats in all the Wastekings now.The motor don't bother me much they have tons of starting torque what bothers me is what they did to everything else.When Masco bought Wasteking in the 80s the quality started going down then but they were still good.Anaheim Manufacturing bought Wasteking around 1994 so there is alot of folks that still have one of the older ones and they were made here so that might mislead folks .Go to this Web page http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products-list/0-k-c-1/food_waste_disposer.html it is from China look at the pic's you will see alot of things that tells me a picture is sometimes worth a 1000 words.

o

Thanks volsboy77. I looked at that link and it looks to me like the Titan's and the Wastekings and the GE's and what have you are all made by the same china manufacturer. Thats what buford2b said in the first place and berry berry said that he didn't know what he was talking about and called him a rat. I looked at berryberry's links arguing against buford and they meant nothing. The plant in California must just make commercial models. He also said that the stainless steel shaft on the Titan was better than the wasteking plain steel shaft. It sounds to me like he must know what he is talking about just like you do. I am impressed with your knowledge. I was almost going to buy a wasteking on berryberry's advice figuring they were made in USA. I'm glad I didn't. I might as well buy the Titan or any other China Made one at the best price I can find but I would rather buy USA made. So what model ISE would you reccomend?

o

Well I guess some folks don't get simple economics.Why would Wasteking make the same EXACT DISPOSER here and also order them from China for far less Money?I have took apart every disposer on the Market even the Sinkguards(China made also).There all from China so it is what it is I guess.I don't know your budget for a disposer so that is hard.I get the best and to me the Viking's and I.S.E. EXCEL model only.Hobart owned Kitchenaid until 1988,89 or so then they sold them to Whirlpool.The Old Kitchenaid disposer's were all cast Iron and was about 50 pounds.Viking bought the rights to the design and for the longest Viking Handmade them just like the old Hobarts.They were 600$$ but they would last forever and could grind anything.Viking 2 years ago contracted out I.S.E. to make them but its got the same good grind system in it but the price is 350$$ now.The I.S.E. Excel is the top Ise model its a good disposer its not as heavy duty as the Viking but it is a tad less noisy.I have disposers from the 50s and up.I have Hobarts,Wastekings,Maytags,Vikings and commerical disposers and Im forgetting more I know.If your on a budget and your quick there is a Kenmore from about 1986 on Ebay it has the cast grind ring which they dont use at all on any except the Viking.There is no bids on it and it starts at 15 bucks new never been used.I posted the item number up above in my other post's.If money is not a problem get the Viking or Ise Excel the Viking is made to handle heavy duty stuff its commerical quality but the Ise Excel is pretty good also.Im ROUGH on disposers and these are the only ones that will say in the Manual to grind Corn husks and Artichokes.These are a No-NO in all others out there you can read the papers it tells ya.The Viking grinds finer then the Excel is next.I have TONS of pics of differnt grind chambers to show you the diffrence in a good one and a Rip-OFF let me know If you want to see.

o

Thanks Volsboy77 for your answer. I think I'll get the ISE Excel like you suggest. It's a little more than I wanted to spend but at least i'm getting my money's worth. I laugh how Anneheim Manufacturing claims that they are one of only two manufacturers out there. You seem to know your manufacturers quite well. Wasteking may have been around for many years but how long has Annaheim Manufacturing been around. Didn't they just buy a company(wasteking) that was already manufacturing disposers, or where they also making disposers, and for how long. I wonder if they were the ones that put the china in wasteking?

o

I have an ISE 777ss disposer that tears through everything. The only problem it seems to have is with steak and pork bones and corn cobs. Those items take forever so I just huck them into the trash. As far as septic tanks, my parents have a disposal and septic system. They only use the disposal for plate scraps and such and have never had any problems.

o

Hey Rank.The Excel is a good disposer,I prefer the Viking but there $$359 at Abt Electronics but dont worry you will be pleased with the Excel.Do you have a Ebay Acount?Don't go to lowes and buy one there you will pay $319 for it and if you do that you minds well get the Viking.I got my Excel off Ebay I paid 220 for it and shipping.There are a few of these ISE Evolution esteem models there 1H.p. dont be tricked in getting it.Most folks get confused and post the spec's for the Excel model on the page for the Esteem.The Esteem is a lowes only deal I think but there is a HUGE differnce in them.All Ise Evolution model's have Multi-grind but only the Excel has Multi-grind Plus.The Esteem model is 1hp but No undercuter,center-cutter, the fixed hammers or the Jam-sensor on it,its just like all the other line just more power .They list it for 189 bucks and getting that one you would just lose out of all the good features the Excel has.Heads up about the Excel mod only when you turn it on it will pause for a split sec and kinda hum this is normal so dont worry about that.That Model has that Jam-Sen and its just that device.That model and Viking are the only ones that have fixed hammers.The Viking just has Fixed the Excel has both swing and Fixed.Years ago all disposers had fixed hammers but they jam more thats why they put it there.Its the same thing thats on my Viking but the viking has a button yours is Auto.If it jams it will Viberate back a forth till it breaks through.You will like it you cant hear it over the water even on bones.On when Wasteking or Anaheim Manufacturing Co to me Wastking used to be so good.Well I know that Tappan and Whirlaway merged in the 1970 or around that, thats when Anaheim Inc was born.There old disposers in the 70s where pretty good I have a 1976 Tappan.Well in 1980 Sinkmaster came on and there Perm-Mag motors and they sold sence then all the goods one left the market then they(Anaheim) bought Wasteking from Masco which I think owns Peerless faucets I think.They used to make them here for a while I am not sure when they started getting all of them from China.I know they have 15% to 20% of the Market but Ise or Emerson is a HUGE company so that is one reason W/k has lifetime warranties and Now there cutting prices even more cause they dont have the motor tech Emerson has.Emerson ceiling fans go above 1000 bucks but its nice that all there stuff is made here.I try to alway by U.s. made things when I can.Sorry for my Grammer I hated it in college couldnt do it and still hate it.

o

Thanks volsboy77 for the help. I'll look at ebay for the Excel. Also thanks buford2b for pointing out that wasteking was made in china. I'm glad
I didn't listen to berrybutter. I can't wait to get my new ISE Excel.

o

Hmmm, seems buford is back masquerading under another name - Rank543. This is quite sad.

Evidence:

1. buford had numerous posts deleted becuase they were in violation of this site's terms of service. Its possible he may have been banned for his actions

2. Rank543 joined the site on 8/7 a week or so after buford played his games

3. Rank543 mysteriously has posted just on one thread, this one where buford committed numerous violations, continuing the trend buford had of making personal attacks towards me (although rank is doing so in a more subtle manner). Just look at nearly everyone one of rank's posts - he seems obsessed with what I said and what buford said

It is a said state of affairs when trolls like this use these forums to play games.

To everyone else - people get whatever disposal you feel comfortable with. Know that Anaheim Manufacturing who makes Wasteking and Anheim Marketing who makes Titan are not the same company and in fact are competitors (a fact each of them confirmed in writing to me). Know that for $99 at costco.com, the Wasteking 9980 with 1hp moter and lifetime guarantee is an amazing deal. But if you like something else, by all means get it. Just don't be manipulated by the trolls here

o

Well put, Berryberry.

I have been reading this thread with amused interest. It started out so educational, back in Feb. when I first posted on it. But it has become kinda obsessive compulsive, hasn't it? A disposal is such a small part of a kitchen reno. The minutiae detailed by Volsboy is astounding. My advice to readers of this thread is to read the first 3/4 which has the edifying information for people looking to buy a disposal, and read the rest if you have time to kill, are fascinated by disposals, and you are patient with run-on stream-of-consciousness style of writing.

Interesting Berryberry - like you, I though the entrance of Rank543 to this thread was odd. But I came to a different conclusion before reading your post. I thought Rank543 and Volsboy were the same person, and Volsboy was using an alter identity as a Q&A opportunity to continue expounding on things like disposals from the '70's, Multigrind Plus, the corporate history of Viking, and the like. And not that there's anything wrong with reading about that esoteric stuff, but it may fall under the heading of Too Much Information, and perhaps is primarily for devotees unusually fascinated with disposals.

Me, I am getting the KA 1 hp batch feed. (Thanks Shannonplus3 who recommended it). It's a re-badged ISE, but it's huge, and I am getting a good deal on it, along with some other appliances. One more thing I can check off my list! Finished!

o

No I am not two differnt people.I have not and would not post under a assume name.I just collect alot of vintage things Celing fans,Disposers,old frigidare jetcone washers,etc.I live in Tenn hence my name Im a Vols fan.I was not trying to Flame anybody at anytime.I got upset one time at shannonplus and I told her/him that I was sorry.I like everybody in here have faults and my temper I get from Dad.I am a engineer and like most see through that glass.I had no clue that people would use muti screen names on something like this.I don't know why I was always fasinated in disposer's or just about anything with a motor.I have took all of these machines apart and its sad the way things are made today.Get what ever disposer you want I was just intending to just outline somethings that I have noticed and the things the Companies do to mislead consumers.We all have been duped at one time or another myself inculded, you bring it home then it falls apart.The Wasteking topic is just my outlook thats it to me somethings are suspect.If I have offended sombody Im really sorry.I have never been under any other name I can show you pics of all my disposer's and even have a Web-cam so you know it's legit.I lost my leg above the knee in the middle of college and had a lot of time and I filled it with tinkering with things on our farm.I am Tim the tool man like I took my G.e. dishwasher and added a sec pump on it and now its the better than ever.I get cheap stuff off the internet and make things or make them better.Some Folks drink I play with my toys cauz I can't drink I have Epilepsy.berryberry I never intended to make you or anybody mad and if I did again Im sorry.I was just asked about a diposer I didnt want to get pulled into anything or flame anybody.

o

my goodness. I came to this site to discuss with knowledgeable people like volsboy77 about what would be the best garbage disposal to fit my needs, only to be bashed by mean posters like berryberry. I thank volsboy77 for his in depth knowledge of disposers which in the end run helped me determine what disposer I would eventually buy. I do not appreciate being labeled as anything but an inquisitive consumer seeking answers to pertinent questions. I value the expertise of members like volsboy77 and I abhor the rude negative ramblings of frustrated posters like berryberry that lack any knowledge of anything constructive to do with the subject matter and instead attack people like myself to fulfill their over inflated ego. I would suggest that berryberry join a cat fight forum and leave the serious discussions to us adults. I will not be thrust into a situation that would sink to berryberry's level.

o

whatever you say buford, err I mean rank, err I mean whatever you are calling yourself these days.

As I said, it is a said state of affairs when trolls like you use these forums to play games.

o

It takes a troll to know one and you obviously don't know me. Most trolls live under bridges. In your case it must be under the sink. It is a sad state of affairs when paranoid delusional people like your self spend your time accusing people like me of being some one else. Perhaps a psychiatric forum would be more of your liking. Your insensitivity to others is very hurtful especially to those like volsboy77 who took great time and in depth details to help me decide what to buy. You obviously have no knowledge of garbage disposals but have an abundant supply of garbage to insult with. I am now the proud owner of an ISE Excel thanks to volsboy77. It is proudly made in the USA by Americans like me who support our Troops overseas. If you prefer inferior Chinese made products manufactured by children then that is your preference but I prefer products made on our own soil. God bless our troops and the USA.

o

Geez, I came here hoping to get some good advice from some knowledgeable people as to what or what not buy in the way of a GD. Now, I am more confused than ever...I don't know who to believe. I have come to trust and value GWers advice and experience here. CR recommends WK Gourmet, Kenmore and KA. I thought I would go with ISE because that's what I've always had. What's an innocent, confused person to buy?

o

Mminthedubc - you can read other threads on disposals on this forum and the Kitchens forum, or just read the first half of this thread. The first half of this thread has good info in it; I think you should focus on that part, before it becomes some odd, argumentative, back-and-forth, delving-into-decades-old-history, very-lengthy discussion held mostly between 2 people.

ISE that you mention is excellent, and appears to have more soundproofing. Just make sure you get one that is either 3/4 hp or 1 hp, nothing smaller. I have a Waste King batch feed, and I think it's great, although I wish its stopper were stainless steel, just for aesthetic purposes. As noted earlier in this thread, Shannonplus2 likes the Kitchenaid batch feed, which she has linked. I think all 3 of those companies are good manufacturers, so maybe it's a question of your budget and also dimensions of the disposals. You may find one disposal's specs fit under your sink and with your plumbing better than another.

As to whether you choose a batch feed or continuous feed style - the pros and cons of each are listed in the first half of the thread. You can decide which style is for you.

o

akchicago, thanks for your clear thoughts. I did get caught up in the heated discussions.My DH wants a continuous feed so that one decision is made, now just have to find the "right" brand. I hadn't thought about the different specs, thanks.

o

I have left the forum and will not be back.The people that were nice take care.

o

Ok I read, listened and investigated other comments and purchased a Viking for my first GD. I looked at what the unit does and siad do I want this unit to work with out a hitch and problem for 15-20 years. Yes then buy the best. Thanks Volsboy

o

mominthedub - I believe if you buy a 1hp model from either WasteKing or ISE (or any of the comapnies they manufacture for) you will be happy with whatever you buy.

If you go lower than 1hp, then you run some risks I believe depending on how you use it. 3/4 is probably fine, but I would suggest staying away from any 1/2 hp model

Honestly, the differences most folks will see between any of the higher hp models will be minimal. This isn't rocket science technology here. Both ISE and Wasteking have been around for many years, have good reputations and back their higher end (ie more HP) products with better warranties.

Given all that, for you I would go for the best priced option that meets the criteria noted above.

And yes, too bad the thread deriorated. After my last post I have decided to no longer feed the troll and ignore his posts. Sorry if it made this difficult to read.

o

I like my ISE excel thanks to the advice of volsboy77. It's too bad he's leaving this forum based on the arrogance of berrybrandy and false accusations of joilet3. I would not recommend these new chinese made wastekings . The old USA models were very good but just because these new ones come with a lifetime warranty does not mean that they are well made. It is a hassle to keep changing poorly made disposals every other year when a good quality brand will keep going for many years. On the other hand, if you are a berry troll living under the sink, then it may add excitement to ones life. I'm glad the troll and the 10 to 15 cats she lives with that she thinks is completely normal has moved on down the drain.

o

Canuck and berryberry, thanks. I have a tendancy to overthink things and once I get on these forums I really get caught up in everything and depend so much on the "experts", but sometimes have to learn to just walk away and go with my gut. That's what I finally did with our appliances after much discussion on GW and am so relieved. I appreciate everyone's opinions so much and just wanted to know if there is a lemon out there that I needed to be aware of. Looks like I can't go wrong with the GD's mentioned here. Thanks y'all. Berry, the thread was either difficult or entertaining, depends how you look at it! I'll go with the latter!:)

o

Why would anyone want to chase away volsboy77? It's apparent he is sharing and considering facts rather than subjective junk.

Anyway - in case he is still reading, which would you buy first? The 3/4HP Viking or the Excel?

o

Titan experience. Bought a Titan at Costco. It was sitting right next to a Wasteking. Looked identical except quite a bit lighter. Took it home, hooked it up, turned it on. WATER CASCADING from inside the plastic cover. Watts & Water do not mix. Removed the unit, took off the plastic shroud and flimsy foam "sound proofing". Hooked it up and WATER CASCADED from the body seal. Thought to tighten the bolts-wrong! Two were stripped. JUNK JUNK. China taints the milk, poisons our dogs, kills those who speak out and loans the US money? Get used to it folks-they own us. Tomorrow that sucker is going back to Costco. Suppose I'll go get a Viking or ISR Excel.

o

thinker2 - after reading this thread, you should have bought the real thing (ie the Wasteking) not the cheap imitation lookalike that was sitting next to it.

Retrun it to Costco and get the real deal

o

Bought a Viking. In place for 3 months works great and quite I hope not to hear it for the next 20+ years.

o

We bought a Viking as well (based on the information by volsboy77 and others in this thread) and we love it as well. It is very quiet (people are surprised by how quiet it is) and it works great. We love it so far.

o

Guess where the wasteking is made berritto. That's right. The big C. Guess you would have seen that on the label if you had lights under the sink where you live. Welcome back to the above world.

o

Just droping some links about Wasteking. http://www.drticeodpadu.cz/en/news.php?id=32

o

Bravo El Capitan. And Kudos to Buford24d.

o

Best post I have read so far on gardenweb. Lol!

Volsboy if you're still out there, I'd like to see some of the internal pics. I'm an engineer too and appreciate the inner workings and the details and manufacturing processes that are combined to make a quality product. One that will last the life of my house, unlike the cheap badger it was built with. Thanks to all for the advice.

o

Just installed an Excel, unbelievably quiet and works great.

This post was edited by saeyedoc on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 11:16

o

We also have a newly-installed Excel and I couldn't agree more - it's unbelieveably quiet, especially considering what it's doing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here