Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
owaller

What's the Best Garbage Disposal

owaller
16 years ago

What are some preferred garbage disposals? Do you recommend putting in the prep sink also?

Comments (118)

• apinkus
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Costco carries the 1HP Waste King for $99. This price cannot be beat for a 1HP Disposer and Waste King is considered the best of the best.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

WOW Apinkus - That is an UNBELIEVABLE DEAL. Thats the same Waste King 9980 I bought online from Ira Woods for $179.99 which a few months ago was the lowest price by $70 anywhere. Costco was not carrying Wasteking at the time - rather they had a cheap imiitation trying to to look like a Waste King (with very similiar company name - that I confirmed was completely unrelated to the Waste King manufacturer).

Anyone needing a new Disposal out to run and get that Waste King from Costco for $99. Unbeatable price

• woodstock53
    15 years ago

So--I just signed a contract with a remodeler to redo my kitchen. He says I should replace my current garbage disposal even though it seems to work just fine (a Kenmore that was here when I moved in 17 years ago and has never had a problem) with a Badger 5. Is this a bad move? He says it would be too hard to reinstall the Kenmore and it will probably be shot in a short time anyway because it is old. Should I keep the one I have, go with the Badger 5 he is recommending or go with something different? I am the only person living here and use it maybe once or twice a week for just a few scraps. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• juliet3
    15 years ago

Woodstock - on the one hand, I agree with your builder that it is time to replace that 17 year old disposal. On the other hand, I strongly disagree that the replacement should be a Badger 5, or anything with the word "Badger" in it. I know this thread is long, but please read it, especially the first half, as it gives a number of examples of good disposals to buy, and the pros and cons of each. To summarize, make sure your disposal will have all stainless steel innards, and a 3/4 hp or 1 hp motor, which the Badger most certainly does not have. Since you are remodelling your kitchen, a cost of a disposal of $200 to $300 is going to be a small percentage of your budget and very worthwhile.

• terry4sams
    15 years ago

I've been in heaven with my Viking more than 3 1/2 years now. No problems to date like all my past ones. I was so tired of noise and problems not to mention not being able to grind up more things like potatoes skins, bones, etc for years. I told my husband it was time to get something better. No regrets!

volsboy77, Thank you for all the information you've been telling us, it's been an eye opener.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Okay, I have narrowed it down to ISE and Wasteking. The thing I have heard about people with the Waste KIng is that it is noisy. Does the model or hp determine the sound? So, should I go with ISE or WK?

Thanks

• buford2b
    15 years ago

To apinky and berrybrandy, Why do you think that the waste king look a like is a bad unit. It is made by Joneca under the name Titan. It is sold at Costco for 89.00. It actually has some better features than the waste king. The grinding chamber is impregnated with an antimicrobial agent(bio shield) that inhibits odors and smelly gunk from forming inside the disposal. The armature shaft is also stainless steel. This is an area that might rust causing the seal to eventually leak. The waste king shaft is not stainless steel. I called waste king to find out where their disposals are made and I was informed that all waste king models are now made in China. The Titan is also made in China. I'm not sure if waste king has an actual manufacturing plant in china or not. Maybe a different chinese company makes both brands hence the similarity. I too am in the market for a disposal and that is why I am researching disposers. Waste king may have been on top but now that they are made in china I feel they are less credible. I think that is why their prices are now less than before. ISE are made in USA. My badger 5, made in USA, had a galvanized bottom cover under the grind plate that eventually corroded with holes leaking water into the motor. I don't consider that good engineering. They are now 90.00 at lowes. I like complete corrosion proof(plastic) chambers. I don't know if the better ISE models are like this or not. I don't want to spend that much anyway. Even though the Titan may be a better model than the wasteking, I think the waste king lifetime warranty is better. Also, the wasteking would probably be a selling feature on the house because people believe they are better because they are familiar with the name as we have seen already on this sight by berrybrandy.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

buford

First - its berryberry.

Second - WasteKing is made by Anaheim Manufacturing, a manufacturer. While I guess its possible some of their disposals are now made overseas, I am not sure you have all your facts correct. They have 120 employees (including a large number of manufacturing employees) and a manufacturing facility in Califonia. Want proof - here is a DOL rouling from 2007 and a Hoover's business synopsis

http://www.dol.gov/federalregister/HtmlDisplay.aspx?DocId=12660&Month=2&Year=2007

http://www.hoovers.com/anaheim-manufacturing/--ID__113534--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml

Furthermore, they have been in the business for over 50 years and are acknowledged along with ISE as one of the two big players in the market. Their machines are well rated and their reputation well deserved as per bbelow for an example

http://www.usitoday.com/article_view.asp?ArticleID=528

Titan is made in China and sold by Anaheim Marketing . they have 20 employees and do no manufacturing on their own:

http://www.uschinabuild.org/en/directory/166

Third - Lets assume you did contact Waste King and what you say theyu told you above is correct (which the facts seem to contradict)). Do you know how the china market and knocckoffs work? Many times if a company outsources something to China from their won design, unscrupulius people at the factory will steal or make copies of the molds / models / design and go sell it to another chineses company who then makes a cheaper knock off version of the original. Its made to look and feel like the original but it is not. Ask yourself, why the funny business with Anaheim Marketing trying to create confusion by making the look of their product, company name and location seem similiar to Anaheim Manufacturing? If it looks like a rat, and smells like a rat, it usually is a rat.

Finally, why buy some imitation product when the real thing at Costco is essentially the same price?

• volsboy77
    15 years ago

You are right berryberry.There all the same Wasteking,Titan,G.e.,Franke and any other that look like it they all come off the same line in China.There is no immitation to me if there made in the same place when all they do is slap a differnt color and name.

• apinkus
    15 years ago

I just received the Waste King 1HP after ordering it from Costco. I can confirm that Waste King does manufacture in China.

Clearly printed on the box is: MADE IN CHINA

I beleive that may be why they are wiling to back it up with a lifetime warranty.

• lilleth
    15 years ago

Is anyone NOT using a disposal? We have a double sink and a disposal on 1 side. I've never been a fan of them and rarely turn this one on, except to make sure it's cleared out. We compost vegetables and other waste. We have been in drought mode for a couple of years where I live. It seems to me it uses a lot of water to push food into a disposal and turn it on. We are planning a kitchen remodel in the future. I keep thinking when we do that I'll get rid of the disposal. Is there really a good reason to have one if you aren't disposing of trash in one?

• rank543
    15 years ago

shouldn't that bubba guy get credit for where the waste king's are made. He pointed that they weren't made in the US. That other poster argued that they were made in the us. Was she wrong or was bubba wrong. I'd rather get a US made one.

• volsboy77
    15 years ago

None of the Wasteking,Wastemaid,Titan,G.e.,Mountainplumbing,Whirlaway,- Franke and any other disposer that says highspeed permenant magnet motor are made in the U.s..The Commercial Wastekings are made here I have one of thoese but there huge and $$$.Joneca and Anaheim Manufacturing Company are the same but they cloak it all in a hall of Mirrors to confuse folks because they all come from China.You did Notice that when I.S.E. introduced the Evolution line of disposers right after that Titan came on the scene and they added more power 1 and 1\4 Hp disposers to Titan and Wastemaid and also Commadore is another of theres.They can't compete with the Ise Excel model at all the Excel has Auto reverse which they trash as needless but in truth it makes your disposer last longer by wearing both sides of the grind ring and the Excel I had in my sink for a while was so quite you wonder if its on with the water running and having a undercutter does help alot.If you look at the manual for the Wastekings they say No corn husks or artichokes, but with the Ise Excel and the Viking you can grind both of these and not worry about clogging your lines. The undercutters on them and that goes double for the Viking acts like kitchen shears.The Viking and Ise Excel are made here in the U.s. by Emerson which one of the largest motor manufacters in the world.I will Admit that the Perm-Mag motors on the W\Ks are VERY powerful but the noise bugs me bad, but some folks it dont bother.G.e. used to make there own but stopped in 2001 they had a 8000 R.p.m. motor in them a heavy duty blender motor for the most part.I like them and have one stored there is No grind ring just two swinging blades they shear speed grinds the food and FAST also but sounds like a Vitamix which basicly it is.So if folks had one of thoese and get a Wasteking it would be less buzzy but that clacking noise drives me nuts and that noise is worse on models below 3/4 Hp the Hammers on them are just thin and light so it clicks more often because of physics.The G.e. didnt make that noise but they do scream but there the fastest disposer I have ever used.Corn-cobs,Steakbones just make a quick buzz and its gone none of that boucing around everybody has heard with all others.I am ruthless with mine and picky and I buy American made A.K.A. Viking,I.S.E.(Excel)or a full blown commercial disposer.

• antss
    15 years ago

Volsboy - curious to know if you have one of the water powered disposers from the now defunct Hydro-Maid corp. If you do I'm interested in your observations of it- aside from the merits or drawbacks of the use of water as the energy source.

• volsboy77
    15 years ago

Yes I had one of thoese Hydro-maid disposers.I wished that it had a eletric motor in it cauz it has a Killer grind system unlike anything every out there.They do work but there SLOW and I do mean slow.They dont have a flywheel at all in them there is about 7 rows of teeth that look kinda like a chainsaw but in a round pattern and they shear the next row.They move very slow but it has alot of torque so it does grind it just takes so long.It worked better when I gave it to my Aunt both of our houses had very high water preasure but we had to have a reducer installed cauz it was knocking out the Ice-maker,Dishwasher and Washer.If you have really high presure it works but if your like me sometimes I have a whole sink full of things to dispose of.Right now in my sick I have a old Fc-10 Maytag and its a monster it will grind it all in a minute or so steak bones included but with the Hydro-maid you would be there for 15 min grinding it.To me it is like using a meatgrinder as a disposer its that slow it does grind good but wastes water I think.There is a good disposer on Ebay right now its a older Kenmore from the 80s with a cast grind ring.The Ebay Item number: 300249090044 that disposer is pretty good you can see the pics of the grind chamber there is NO Kenmore like that with that cast ring in it anymore.

• rank543
    15 years ago

Thanks volsboy77. I'll but a USA made ISE over any of the China made ones. I guess buford2b was right and berryberry was wrong about Wasteking being made in china. I'm glad I didn't listen to berryberry's advise saying otherwise. She was wrong and was rude to buford2b. Just because someone lacks knowledge dosen't mean they should be rude to someone that knows what their talking about. What ISE model would either buford2b or volsboy77 reccomend for about $150.00. Thanks

• volsboy77
    15 years ago

Some people think there always right no matter what they say there right your wrong.I am a mechanical engineer and run into that alot at work, the I know everything people.I grew up taking everything apart to find out how it works thats why I got into engineering.I have right now 18 disposer's in my growing collection and Wasteking used to one of the best out there when Norris Ind owned them and Thermador.They were great machines they had blades in them and heavy cast steel everything and induction motor's not these rectified D\C motor's thats in all the Wastekings now.The motor don't bother me much they have tons of starting torque what bothers me is what they did to everything else.When Masco bought Wasteking in the 80s the quality started going down then but they were still good.Anaheim Manufacturing bought Wasteking around 1994 so there is alot of folks that still have one of the older ones and they were made here so that might mislead folks .Go to this Web page http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products-list/0-k-c-1/food_waste_disposer.html it is from China look at the pic's you will see alot of things that tells me a picture is sometimes worth a 1000 words.

• rank543
    15 years ago

Thanks volsboy77. I looked at that link and it looks to me like the Titan's and the Wastekings and the GE's and what have you are all made by the same china manufacturer. Thats what buford2b said in the first place and berry berry said that he didn't know what he was talking about and called him a rat. I looked at berryberry's links arguing against buford and they meant nothing. The plant in California must just make commercial models. He also said that the stainless steel shaft on the Titan was better than the wasteking plain steel shaft. It sounds to me like he must know what he is talking about just like you do. I am impressed with your knowledge. I was almost going to buy a wasteking on berryberry's advice figuring they were made in USA. I'm glad I didn't. I might as well buy the Titan or any other China Made one at the best price I can find but I would rather buy USA made. So what model ISE would you reccomend?

• volsboy77
    15 years ago

Well I guess some folks don't get simple economics.Why would Wasteking make the same EXACT DISPOSER here and also order them from China for far less Money?I have took apart every disposer on the Market even the Sinkguards(China made also).There all from China so it is what it is I guess.I don't know your budget for a disposer so that is hard.I get the best and to me the Viking's and I.S.E. EXCEL model only.Hobart owned Kitchenaid until 1988,89 or so then they sold them to Whirlpool.The Old Kitchenaid disposer's were all cast Iron and was about 50 pounds.Viking bought the rights to the design and for the longest Viking Handmade them just like the old Hobarts.They were 600$$ but they would last forever and could grind anything.Viking 2 years ago contracted out I.S.E. to make them but its got the same good grind system in it but the price is 350$$ now.The I.S.E. Excel is the top Ise model its a good disposer its not as heavy duty as the Viking but it is a tad less noisy.I have disposers from the 50s and up.I have Hobarts,Wastekings,Maytags,Vikings and commerical disposers and Im forgetting more I know.If your on a budget and your quick there is a Kenmore from about 1986 on Ebay it has the cast grind ring which they dont use at all on any except the Viking.There is no bids on it and it starts at 15 bucks new never been used.I posted the item number up above in my other post's.If money is not a problem get the Viking or Ise Excel the Viking is made to handle heavy duty stuff its commerical quality but the Ise Excel is pretty good also.Im ROUGH on disposers and these are the only ones that will say in the Manual to grind Corn husks and Artichokes.These are a No-NO in all others out there you can read the papers it tells ya.The Viking grinds finer then the Excel is next.I have TONS of pics of differnt grind chambers to show you the diffrence in a good one and a Rip-OFF let me know If you want to see.

• rank543
    15 years ago

Thanks Volsboy77 for your answer. I think I'll get the ISE Excel like you suggest. It's a little more than I wanted to spend but at least i'm getting my money's worth. I laugh how Anneheim Manufacturing claims that they are one of only two manufacturers out there. You seem to know your manufacturers quite well. Wasteking may have been around for many years but how long has Annaheim Manufacturing been around. Didn't they just buy a company(wasteking) that was already manufacturing disposers, or where they also making disposers, and for how long. I wonder if they were the ones that put the china in wasteking?

• mike1975
    15 years ago

I have an ISE 777ss disposer that tears through everything. The only problem it seems to have is with steak and pork bones and corn cobs. Those items take forever so I just huck them into the trash. As far as septic tanks, my parents have a disposal and septic system. They only use the disposal for plate scraps and such and have never had any problems.

• volsboy77
    15 years ago

Hey Rank.The Excel is a good disposer,I prefer the Viking but there $$359 at Abt Electronics but dont worry you will be pleased with the Excel.Do you have a Ebay Acount?Don't go to lowes and buy one there you will pay $319 for it and if you do that you minds well get the Viking.I got my Excel off Ebay I paid 220 for it and shipping.There are a few of these ISE Evolution esteem models there 1H.p. dont be tricked in getting it.Most folks get confused and post the spec's for the Excel model on the page for the Esteem.The Esteem is a lowes only deal I think but there is a HUGE differnce in them.All Ise Evolution model's have Multi-grind but only the Excel has Multi-grind Plus.The Esteem model is 1hp but No undercuter,center-cutter, the fixed hammers or the Jam-sensor on it,its just like all the other line just more power .They list it for 189 bucks and getting that one you would just lose out of all the good features the Excel has.Heads up about the Excel mod only when you turn it on it will pause for a split sec and kinda hum this is normal so dont worry about that.That Model has that Jam-Sen and its just that device.That model and Viking are the only ones that have fixed hammers.The Viking just has Fixed the Excel has both swing and Fixed.Years ago all disposers had fixed hammers but they jam more thats why they put it there.Its the same thing thats on my Viking but the viking has a button yours is Auto.If it jams it will Viberate back a forth till it breaks through.You will like it you cant hear it over the water even on bones.On when Wasteking or Anaheim Manufacturing Co to me Wastking used to be so good.Well I know that Tappan and Whirlaway merged in the 1970 or around that, thats when Anaheim Inc was born.There old disposers in the 70s where pretty good I have a 1976 Tappan.Well in 1980 Sinkmaster came on and there Perm-Mag motors and they sold sence then all the goods one left the market then they(Anaheim) bought Wasteking from Masco which I think owns Peerless faucets I think.They used to make them here for a while I am not sure when they started getting all of them from China.I know they have 15% to 20% of the Market but Ise or Emerson is a HUGE company so that is one reason W/k has lifetime warranties and Now there cutting prices even more cause they dont have the motor tech Emerson has.Emerson ceiling fans go above 1000 bucks but its nice that all there stuff is made here.I try to alway by U.s. made things when I can.Sorry for my Grammer I hated it in college couldnt do it and still hate it.

• rank543
    15 years ago

Thanks volsboy77 for the help. I'll look at ebay for the Excel. Also thanks buford2b for pointing out that wasteking was made in china. I'm glad
    I didn't listen to berrybutter. I can't wait to get my new ISE Excel.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Hmmm, seems buford is back masquerading under another name - Rank543. This is quite sad.

Evidence:

1. buford had numerous posts deleted becuase they were in violation of this site's terms of service. Its possible he may have been banned for his actions

2. Rank543 joined the site on 8/7 a week or so after buford played his games

3. Rank543 mysteriously has posted just on one thread, this one where buford committed numerous violations, continuing the trend buford had of making personal attacks towards me (although rank is doing so in a more subtle manner). Just look at nearly everyone one of rank's posts - he seems obsessed with what I said and what buford said

It is a said state of affairs when trolls like this use these forums to play games.

To everyone else - people get whatever disposal you feel comfortable with. Know that Anaheim Manufacturing who makes Wasteking and Anheim Marketing who makes Titan are not the same company and in fact are competitors (a fact each of them confirmed in writing to me). Know that for $99 at costco.com, the Wasteking 9980 with 1hp moter and lifetime guarantee is an amazing deal. But if you like something else, by all means get it. Just don't be manipulated by the trolls here

• juliet3
    15 years ago

Well put, Berryberry.

I have been reading this thread with amused interest. It started out so educational, back in Feb. when I first posted on it. But it has become kinda obsessive compulsive, hasn't it? A disposal is such a small part of a kitchen reno. The minutiae detailed by Volsboy is astounding. My advice to readers of this thread is to read the first 3/4 which has the edifying information for people looking to buy a disposal, and read the rest if you have time to kill, are fascinated by disposals, and you are patient with run-on stream-of-consciousness style of writing.

Interesting Berryberry - like you, I though the entrance of Rank543 to this thread was odd. But I came to a different conclusion before reading your post. I thought Rank543 and Volsboy were the same person, and Volsboy was using an alter identity as a Q&A opportunity to continue expounding on things like disposals from the '70's, Multigrind Plus, the corporate history of Viking, and the like. And not that there's anything wrong with reading about that esoteric stuff, but it may fall under the heading of Too Much Information, and perhaps is primarily for devotees unusually fascinated with disposals.

Me, I am getting the KA 1 hp batch feed. (Thanks Shannonplus3 who recommended it). It's a re-badged ISE, but it's huge, and I am getting a good deal on it, along with some other appliances. One more thing I can check off my list! Finished!

• volsboy77
    15 years ago

No I am not two differnt people.I have not and would not post under a assume name.I just collect alot of vintage things Celing fans,Disposers,old frigidare jetcone washers,etc.I live in Tenn hence my name Im a Vols fan.I was not trying to Flame anybody at anytime.I got upset one time at shannonplus and I told her/him that I was sorry.I like everybody in here have faults and my temper I get from Dad.I am a engineer and like most see through that glass.I had no clue that people would use muti screen names on something like this.I don't know why I was always fasinated in disposer's or just about anything with a motor.I have took all of these machines apart and its sad the way things are made today.Get what ever disposer you want I was just intending to just outline somethings that I have noticed and the things the Companies do to mislead consumers.We all have been duped at one time or another myself inculded, you bring it home then it falls apart.The Wasteking topic is just my outlook thats it to me somethings are suspect.If I have offended sombody Im really sorry.I have never been under any other name I can show you pics of all my disposer's and even have a Web-cam so you know it's legit.I lost my leg above the knee in the middle of college and had a lot of time and I filled it with tinkering with things on our farm.I am Tim the tool man like I took my G.e. dishwasher and added a sec pump on it and now its the better than ever.I get cheap stuff off the internet and make things or make them better.Some Folks drink I play with my toys cauz I can't drink I have Epilepsy.berryberry I never intended to make you or anybody mad and if I did again Im sorry.I was just asked about a diposer I didnt want to get pulled into anything or flame anybody.

• rank543
    15 years ago

my goodness. I came to this site to discuss with knowledgeable people like volsboy77 about what would be the best garbage disposal to fit my needs, only to be bashed by mean posters like berryberry. I thank volsboy77 for his in depth knowledge of disposers which in the end run helped me determine what disposer I would eventually buy. I do not appreciate being labeled as anything but an inquisitive consumer seeking answers to pertinent questions. I value the expertise of members like volsboy77 and I abhor the rude negative ramblings of frustrated posters like berryberry that lack any knowledge of anything constructive to do with the subject matter and instead attack people like myself to fulfill their over inflated ego. I would suggest that berryberry join a cat fight forum and leave the serious discussions to us adults. I will not be thrust into a situation that would sink to berryberry's level.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

whatever you say buford, err I mean rank, err I mean whatever you are calling yourself these days.

As I said, it is a said state of affairs when trolls like you use these forums to play games.

• rank543
    15 years ago

It takes a troll to know one and you obviously don't know me. Most trolls live under bridges. In your case it must be under the sink. It is a sad state of affairs when paranoid delusional people like your self spend your time accusing people like me of being some one else. Perhaps a psychiatric forum would be more of your liking. Your insensitivity to others is very hurtful especially to those like volsboy77 who took great time and in depth details to help me decide what to buy. You obviously have no knowledge of garbage disposals but have an abundant supply of garbage to insult with. I am now the proud owner of an ISE Excel thanks to volsboy77. It is proudly made in the USA by Americans like me who support our Troops overseas. If you prefer inferior Chinese made products manufactured by children then that is your preference but I prefer products made on our own soil. God bless our troops and the USA.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Geez, I came here hoping to get some good advice from some knowledgeable people as to what or what not buy in the way of a GD. Now, I am more confused than ever...I don't know who to believe. I have come to trust and value GWers advice and experience here. CR recommends WK Gourmet, Kenmore and KA. I thought I would go with ISE because that's what I've always had. What's an innocent, confused person to buy?

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Mminthedubc - you can read other threads on disposals on this forum and the Kitchens forum, or just read the first half of this thread. The first half of this thread has good info in it; I think you should focus on that part, before it becomes some odd, argumentative, back-and-forth, delving-into-decades-old-history, very-lengthy discussion held mostly between 2 people.

ISE that you mention is excellent, and appears to have more soundproofing. Just make sure you get one that is either 3/4 hp or 1 hp, nothing smaller. I have a Waste King batch feed, and I think it's great, although I wish its stopper were stainless steel, just for aesthetic purposes. As noted earlier in this thread, Shannonplus2 likes the Kitchenaid batch feed, which she has linked. I think all 3 of those companies are good manufacturers, so maybe it's a question of your budget and also dimensions of the disposals. You may find one disposal's specs fit under your sink and with your plumbing better than another.

As to whether you choose a batch feed or continuous feed style - the pros and cons of each are listed in the first half of the thread. You can decide which style is for you.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

akchicago, thanks for your clear thoughts. I did get caught up in the heated discussions.My DH wants a continuous feed so that one decision is made, now just have to find the "right" brand. I hadn't thought about the different specs, thanks.

• volsboy77
    15 years ago

I have left the forum and will not be back.The people that were nice take care.

• canuck99
    15 years ago

Ok I read, listened and investigated other comments and purchased a Viking for my first GD. I looked at what the unit does and siad do I want this unit to work with out a hitch and problem for 15-20 years. Yes then buy the best. Thanks Volsboy

• berryberry
    15 years ago

mominthedub - I believe if you buy a 1hp model from either WasteKing or ISE (or any of the comapnies they manufacture for) you will be happy with whatever you buy.

If you go lower than 1hp, then you run some risks I believe depending on how you use it. 3/4 is probably fine, but I would suggest staying away from any 1/2 hp model

Honestly, the differences most folks will see between any of the higher hp models will be minimal. This isn't rocket science technology here. Both ISE and Wasteking have been around for many years, have good reputations and back their higher end (ie more HP) products with better warranties.

Given all that, for you I would go for the best priced option that meets the criteria noted above.

And yes, too bad the thread deriorated. After my last post I have decided to no longer feed the troll and ignore his posts. Sorry if it made this difficult to read.

• rank543
    15 years ago

I like my ISE excel thanks to the advice of volsboy77. It's too bad he's leaving this forum based on the arrogance of berrybrandy and false accusations of joilet3. I would not recommend these new chinese made wastekings . The old USA models were very good but just because these new ones come with a lifetime warranty does not mean that they are well made. It is a hassle to keep changing poorly made disposals every other year when a good quality brand will keep going for many years. On the other hand, if you are a berry troll living under the sink, then it may add excitement to ones life. I'm glad the troll and the 10 to 15 cats she lives with that she thinks is completely normal has moved on down the drain.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Canuck and berryberry, thanks. I have a tendancy to overthink things and once I get on these forums I really get caught up in everything and depend so much on the "experts", but sometimes have to learn to just walk away and go with my gut. That's what I finally did with our appliances after much discussion on GW and am so relieved. I appreciate everyone's opinions so much and just wanted to know if there is a lemon out there that I needed to be aware of. Looks like I can't go wrong with the GD's mentioned here. Thanks y'all. Berry, the thread was either difficult or entertaining, depends how you look at it! I'll go with the latter!:)

• rgonyer
    15 years ago

Why would anyone want to chase away volsboy77? It's apparent he is sharing and considering facts rather than subjective junk.

Anyway - in case he is still reading, which would you buy first? The 3/4HP Viking or the Excel?

• thinker2
    15 years ago

Titan experience. Bought a Titan at Costco. It was sitting right next to a Wasteking. Looked identical except quite a bit lighter. Took it home, hooked it up, turned it on. WATER CASCADING from inside the plastic cover. Watts & Water do not mix. Removed the unit, took off the plastic shroud and flimsy foam "sound proofing". Hooked it up and WATER CASCADED from the body seal. Thought to tighten the bolts-wrong! Two were stripped. JUNK JUNK. China taints the milk, poisons our dogs, kills those who speak out and loans the US money? Get used to it folks-they own us. Tomorrow that sucker is going back to Costco. Suppose I'll go get a Viking or ISR Excel.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

thinker2 - after reading this thread, you should have bought the real thing (ie the Wasteking) not the cheap imitation lookalike that was sitting next to it.

Retrun it to Costco and get the real deal

• canuck99
    15 years ago

Bought a Viking. In place for 3 months works great and quite I hope not to hear it for the next 20+ years.

• ahamid
    15 years ago

We bought a Viking as well (based on the information by volsboy77 and others in this thread) and we love it as well. It is very quiet (people are surprised by how quiet it is) and it works great. We love it so far.

• rank543
    15 years ago

Guess where the wasteking is made berritto. That's right. The big C. Guess you would have seen that on the label if you had lights under the sink where you live. Welcome back to the above world.

• volsboy77
    15 years ago

Just droping some links about Wasteking. http://www.drticeodpadu.cz/en/news.php?id=32

• rank543
    15 years ago

Bravo El Capitan. And Kudos to Buford24d.

• osubuckeye
    10 years ago

Best post I have read so far on gardenweb. Lol!

Volsboy if you're still out there, I'd like to see some of the internal pics. I'm an engineer too and appreciate the inner workings and the details and manufacturing processes that are combined to make a quality product. One that will last the life of my house, unlike the cheap badger it was built with. Thanks to all for the advice.

• saeyedoc
    10 years ago

Just installed an Excel, unbelievably quiet and works great.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We also have a newly-installed Excel and I couldn't agree more - it's unbelieveably quiet, especially considering what it's doing!

• Jerry Wilson
    5 years ago

I recommend to take a hydraulic. They work from the pressure of water, which makes them more economical. Also, they are more powerful, and you can throw even bones into the sink disposal. I recommend to look this TOP - http://bestsinkdisposal.com/ good models of 2018

• deb debra
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the info everyone and.... the entertainment