Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcvoigt

GE gas range ease of cleaning grates & slide in??s

dcvoigt
15 years ago

Looking for a range to replace my 14 yr. old ge gas.I am wondering if all of you that have these newer cast iron (uncoated) grates rather than the porcelain/enamel covered cast are finding any problems with cleaning them. Having only had the porcelain/enamel ones, which are not the easiest to keep clean, I am thinking these rougher surfaced ones would even be harder if something burns on. Supposedly you can't put them in the oven while it is cleaning.

I prefer the look of the slide in but not having had one also wonder about this fan for the oven. Does that have to run every time the oven is on. Or does the heat just vent up to the cooktop? Is it a problem?

Is the surface to cook on larger with a slide in because you don't have the back controls to bump into or is it smaller cause the oven controls are now on the front? Or just equal. I know the oven is a little shorter.

Your opinions from your experiences please. Thanks, Cindy

Comments (10)

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

I have no problem keeping them clean,just wipe off before any spills harden and you can run through dish washer.

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So what about burned on food?

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

I rarely have burned on food. The only time I can think of I used a Dobie pad cleaner and just rubbed it off.

• rtmom2
    15 years ago

We recently installed Ge profile appliances in our new kitchen. We brought the GE profile slide in with convection and SS top. Only the convection has a fan on the inside. It vents out of the top. It has nice cooking space, but since our kitchen is not 100% finished we are using it limitted still. AS far as cleanng the grates we are trying to figure that out now, looking for answers.

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rtmom2: is your new ge a dual fuel with convection/electric oven and gas cooktop? If so does the cooktop have a vent in it or does that just occur with all gas? Also what about fan noise, is it really loud or not. I'll be interested in hearing how you like it once you really start using it.

• rtmom2
    15 years ago

Our oven is not a dual fuel just gas. I believe all the models have the vent on top. We haven't used the oven to make a big meal just to reheat frozen food, but it has not been noisy. Ge Profile has a good web site with pictures and discriptions of their models if that may help. I'll let you know if it is noisy when we use it for a big meal, but to be honest I am not a big cook.

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I shopping for a range. I was all set to buy a slide in Frigidaire until I measured the oven depth. 15 inches verses the 18 in my current one. I don't think I want to loose that. So I am back to GE's cause theirs are deeper.

rtmom2: How do you like your profile now? How deep is the oven meaning if you measure from the back of the usable part of the grate to the front? Any issues with the location of the burners, cleaning the SS, moving the grates for cleaning (they seem very heavy), noise, anything?

Anyone else out there: do you have a 18" deep oven in a slide in under 2000.00? I've also looked at the GE cafe--it has so many more bells and whistles on it than we need but it does have a deeper oven.

I am so tired of shopping for all this stuff for our remodeled kitchen, now I know why sometimes people settle for something just to make a decision.

Thank you. Cindy

• petergibbons316
    15 years ago

My owner's manual says that I can clean the grates in the oven, although I have never tried it.

• rtmom2
    15 years ago

Sorry it took to long to answer, I just came across your question. I just measured the inside of the oven and the shelves are 15". So far so good using it. I have been told you can also put the grills in the dish washer. As far as cleaning the top it has been OK. So far we have used the appliance cleaner that it came w/ and for light cleaning use a cloth meant for SS. Have you made a decision yet? I just went w/ what I liked and and space available as well as price.

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got the Frigidaire Prof. dual fuel slide in. I've only had it about 5 days with only a little use, but I like it so far. I did give up on the deeper ovens and feel with convection I can use all the grates. The only appliance we haven't picked out is the OTR microwave and will wait on that a few weeks. I just need a breather on making choices.

Thanks for your reply,
    Cindy