Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyklein_gw

Which Bosch dishwasher is made in Germany?

cindyklein
12 years ago

I tried searching but I'm still unclear on which Bosch dishwashers are still in fact German made. Trying to match up where it stands in price to an entry level Miele and maybe Asko.

Comments (19)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Dee has great advice. How did your kitchen shrine turn out, Cindy?

• litehearted
    10 years ago

Just because it's an 800 Plus series Bosch dishwasher, doesn't mean it's made in Germany.

This one specifically states: made in Germany...

24" Panel Ready Dishwasher
    800 Plus Series
    SHV9PT53UC
    39 dBA- Quietest BrandFlexible 3rd Rack with Adjustable Separators Provides Additional Loading CapacityMade in GermanySteelTouch⢠Control PanelTimeLight⢠Beams Remaining Time of the Cycle on FloorWhite Light Illuminates the Interior when the Dishwasher is Open
    39 dBA- Quietest Brand
    Flexible 3rd Rack with Adjustable Separators Provides Additional Loading Capacity
    Made in Germany
    SteelTouch⢠Control Panel
    TimeLight⢠Beams Remaining Time of the Cycle on Floor
    White Light Illuminates the Interior when the Dishwasher is Open

• nerdyshopper
    10 years ago

Funny! I recently asked the opposite question: which Bosch dishwashers are the new 3rd shelf models made in the USA. I understand they are essentially the same only larger (taller). I got very few definitive responses. It is my impression that all 800 plus models are German made (SHV9. SHV8, and SHV7). I wish someone with direct knowledge of the Bosch line would fill us in.

• lee676
    10 years ago

The four models at the top of the line that are advertised with 38 or 39 dBA sound levels are made in Germany; those that are 40 dBA or above are American. Other than being slightly quieter, the only added feature the German machines have are lower racks that allow every second peg to be folded down (rather than having to choose all up or all down) so that large bowls and the like will fit between the now widely-spaced tines. As useful as that is, for me it wouldn't be worth losing almost 2" of front-to-back depth in all three racks, as well as an additional $400 over the 40dBA US-made 800+ models.

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

My 42 dBA says Made in Germany.

And it doesn't have that "every other" fold down rack.

But then, I just remembered it's an SHX not SHV, and I believe not available after a few months ago...

This post was edited by foodonastump on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 22:41

• lee676
    10 years ago

I was referring to just the current lineup introduced in summer 2013. They added some new features at the time including the every-other-peg fold-down rack, interior lighting, and some adjustable sections on the top/3rd rack.

The Bosch sister brands Thermador and Gaggenau still use the German-style shallower (front-to-back) tub and racks; not sure where they're made. They still have a few features not found on the Bosch, such as a lower rack that can be set up to hold two rows of tall glasses or wine glasses and a third row of cups on the lower rack, on the higher-end Thermadors. This pic also shows the every-other folded tines (behind the utensil basket) which are now available on the high-end German-built Bosch DWs too.

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Gotcha. Yeah I bought mine in the spring and saw shortly thereafter that it had been discontinued.

Interesting that they made changes to the top and bottom racks. In my opinion, on mine, it's the middle rack that needs a major redesign!

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Gotcha. Yeah I bought mine in the spring and saw shortly thereafter that it had been discontinued.

Interesting that they made changes to the top and bottom racks. In my opinion, on mine, it's the middle rack that needs a major redesign!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

My Bosch DW is being delivered today, along with the rest of my appliances. It sounds like it's one of the American-made ones -800 series but the db is 44 I think? Anyway, we were recently staying with friends and they had a newish Bosch DW (I don't know what model) and the bottom rack "fell off" every time you pulled it out. I'm going to go nuts if mine does that!

• nerdyshopper
    10 years ago

I just went to Bosch.com and they give the 9PT models as 34 1/8 tall X23 9/16 wide and 22 7/16 deep. The 7PT and 8PT models are 33 7/8 tall X23 9/16 wide X 23 7/8 deep. I guess that means only the 9 series are made in Germany now. There is not as much difference in the volume as I expected unless the inner demensions are different relative to outer on various 800 plus models.

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

SJ - On mine there's not a real hard stop at the end of the track, but there's a stop nonetheless. If I hadn't happened to have mine go askew a few days ago I wouldn't have even known what you are talking about. Nothing to worry about. Just glide the rack out calmly, don't try to launch it across the kitchen!

• kingadrian
    8 years ago

I know this is like a 3 year old thread, but I had the same question, so I called Bosch.

This is what the Bosch rep told me.

Any dishwasher with the Water Softener Feature is Made in Germany. This feature requires a special salt that is made specifically for water softener. Not your regular table salt.

There are a few that are made in the USA, but they will not have the Water Softener feature.

Hope this helps.

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

More than just a few models are made in the USA, actually the majority are. Also the rep was wrong, some water softener models are made in the USA. The website clearly states which models are made in Germany, and it's only the very top of the line Benchmark series. The 800plus series, which is one step down, has nearly identical specs, so one of the main things that you're paying for when you step up is the "Made in Germany" label.

• kingadrian
    8 years ago

Hi HvTech:

Thanks for the info. I was debating between getting the Bosch 500 series with the cutlery tray vs the Miele Classic Future Plus with the cutlery tray as well. Which do you recommend in terms of durability, performance and quality?

Thanks

• hvtech42
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Between those 2 I would get the Miele. The Classic with cutlery tray is what I have and it's been great. Pretty simple in terms of cycles and options but that's OK with me.

First though look into Miele service for your area. If there is none DO NOT BUY it. Even a Miele can break and you don't want to get stuck with nobody to fix it.

• kingadrian
    8 years ago

Hi HvTech42:

I live in Houston, Texas, and there are a few Miele service in my area. Thank you for reminding me about the service.

I am also not into those fancy cycles and options, I mostly run mine at night, set it to regular, and they are usually full. I really like the cutlery rack that's why I narrowed it to Bosch and Miele.

I will get the Miele Classic then after hearing about your experience.

Thank You so much :)

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

I don't think you'll regret it. The other thing I forgot to mention is that Miele started the whole cutlery tray thing and the other manufacturers followed suit. I can't confirm this since I've only ever used the Miele tray, but I've heard from others who have used both that the Miele tray is significantly better than the Bosch one.

• kingadrian
    8 years ago

I have read many reviews touting Miele dishwashers as the best. Even better than Asko. Your input confirmed it. I have had 2 different Miele vacuums (the Olympus and the Classic Capri and they are the best amongst my other dead vacuums. So now I just put in a purchase for that Futura Classic Plus from Abt.com.

Thank you so much for your help and suggestion....:)

Have a good day ok..